Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: the ultimate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fake animals? fake credentials? out of shape instructors? terrible poses? cheesy marketing? mail-order tapes, gradings and master certificates!? ..... this has it all. The ultimate mcDojo?

http://www.shaolin.com.au

Edited by - chinpau on August 02 2002 04:01:46

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems a little goofy, but from what I saw, there's no pretense that studying there will turn you into a combat machine, quite the opposite in fact.

I think to be a truly wonky McDojo, you have to heal the sick and jump buildings and do chi blasts and send astral spies and ****. :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a traditional school with heavy emphasis on "lifestyle" and philosophy.

The curriculum map is extensive enough that I doubt many people ever reach black sash. Which is a McDojo red flag in my opinion since it keeps the students coming back to their "master" year after year after year; however, the Gracies don't exactly hand out black belts either.

Thanks for the link chinpau, I just don't think they really qualify. Then again, those pictures in the social events section are a little weird.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DJ Coldfusion,

The Gracies and other BJJ organizations give out so few blackbelts because of quality control, not profit. People know going into a BJJ curriculum that it could potentially take them 10 years before they make blackbelt, if at all. That discourages a lot of people so it actually hurts profits, not helps.

KC Elbows
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of a mcdojo not giving out black belts like candy in order to maximize profits. People are willing to pay big bucks to get a black belt.

So, a long wait for a black belt does not, in any system I've ever seen, infer mcdojo. That's just reaching.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think withholding black belts is a Mcdojo practice, it is however a slimy practice perfected by Rorion Gracie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rorion's a lawyer, that might explain some things he does.

As far as I know that's a legit Shaolin Kung Fu school.

Ready are you? What know you of ready? supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mcdojo, hard to tell. . .

All I have to say is, "Ground Control to Major Tom"
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems a little goofy, but from what I saw, there's no pretense that studying there will turn you into a combat machine, quite the opposite in fact.

I think to be a truly wonky McDojo, you have to heal the sick and jump buildings and do chi blasts and send astral spies and ****. :)

At first I thought it was legit. Then I got to the "Cyber Kung Fu" part. http://www.shaolin.com.au/cyber.htm
    Id say swaying towards McDojo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a better sign of a McDojo is promising blackbelts to everyone who joins...for example, the link I gave earlier to www.hanstkd.com where there's a 5 year old black belt...that's just not right.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last