Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on guys! Help me out! Take it as a test, prove your wisdom!

(And help me out in the meanwhile).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 7:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in agreement with mod com gym.

Start with the Crossfit Workout of the Day.

If they put something up that you can't do - find a substitute exercies that is as close as possible that you can do.

If you are not sure of what some good alternate exercises are, then check out their message board (do a search, or post your own question).

The W.O.D. should be plenty.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 7:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like your doing too much.

I say start with kickboxing twice per week.

BJJ twice per week.

Now thats four good workouts per week which is plenty unless your a proffessional fighter. Just start with that and see how you go. Do not make the mistake of overtraining and doing too much too soon.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is hard to design a workout for someone when you don't know his/her current condition.

I think crossfit can be really intimidating for people at first. There are a lot of workouts there that people just can't do when they are starting. (hell, I struggle with lots of them now)

A nice generic beginner workout if you have a gym:
    Bench Press 3X10
    Overhead Press 3X10
    Squat 3X10
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 3X10
    Cable PullDowns 3X10
    Seated Cable Rows 3X10

Shouldn't take more than an hour, even with a short warm up.
    Until you can handle heavy weights, you should be able to recover if you do this 3 times a week.
    Do it for 8-12 weeks, starting kinda light and adding some weight every week.

After that change to something totally different for 4 weeks, like maybe the workouts from www.trainforstrength.com plus a day of squats and/or deadlifts.

Then start trying the crossfit workouts.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 9:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: I need help building a training plan

Originally posted by Lights Out
    Ive already posted a thread bout leg training. And after the commetns posted there and further information Ive got, I now feel like i know less than before. So

In a couple f months I will retake my training. I will de doing kickboxing thrice a week and BJJ twice. Im also going to do weitghs to build some muscle (not too much). The thing is, Im still not sure what and how should I do to reach my goals.

These are: build some muscle, cardio improvement, fat loss strengh gain and become a killa.

At first I tought about training weights thrice a week (same days as kickboxing, that is, monday, wednesday and friday), and some kind of cardio on tuesdays and thursdays.

The reason is that BJJ classes are twice longer than kickboxing and more strengh demmanding (from my experience).

I will apreciate any advice, or comment, regardless how hasrsh it may be (promise).

Oh, and if mod com gym is reading this, Ive already red Crossfits article, and i found it quite interesting. But I still lack knowledge when it comes to put that into practice. So, advice like do x exercise, x series, x reps at x time interval with x% of your max will be highly appreciated.

Also, any correction or further insight will be also apreciated.

Im a very apreciative person :)

For starteres, heres some questions.

Weights:

How many different exercises should i do in a single session for a certain muscle?

Opposite muscles the same day (i. e. biceps and triceps) or not (i. e. pecs and biceps)?

I though about saving one day (friday) to do a specific work for deltoids (my weakest and very lame muscle) it wouild be only for a certain priod of time, till they improve enough. I found a workout to speciffically train these, and it said that, after 6 weeks, the results would be very nice. Is this ill-advised?

Cardio:

It will be too cold to go running in the open, so, bike, rope, both? How to combine them? Anything else?

Thanks.
    The hardest thing is to including Strength training into your MA regime and still get the best results possible out of it.
    ST requires quite a bit of rest, and you don't get that when you throw MA into the equation.
    Most of the MA guys I know, compared to other gusy who do the SAME amount of ST, are much weaker because of the extra work done in their MA.

You need to find a balance, you need to introduce Strength training in a way that allows you to get the most benefits you can.

While in the beginning, you may be able to do ST 3 times a week, soon it must go down to 2 a week and hen once a week, the stronger you get, the more demands you put on your system, the more rest/recovey you will need.

You must keep a training log, to chart your progress, the moment you stop progressing in your ST, take a week off, maybe two, then come back on a reduced schedule.

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 9:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, thanks a lot everybody.

For the past eight months ive been doing kickboxing and weights (the latter from thrice a week to five days aweek the last two months).

My weight training was like:

Bench presses 4 X 10
    pole pulls (i dont know exactly how its named in english. Its an exercise for the back, you pull with a cable to lift a weight while remaining sat). 4 X 10
    military presses in specific machine 4 X 10
    biceps (low pole) 4 X 10
    triceps (high pole) 4 X 10
    leg extensions 4 X 10
    leg cruls 4 X 10
    calf raises 4 X 10
    along with abs (upper, low and lateral) 4 X 30 (each)

Another question that arise is should I keep abs in my training or it will be enough with those I do in my MA training (no less than, about 90-100 each day)?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if this is how your schedule goes......

s -off
    m -kick boxing
    t -bjj
    w -kick boxing
    r -bjj
    f -kickboxing
    s -off

I would make my lifting schedule like this:

s - deadlifts (I personally do deadlifts on a day by themselves)
    m - Pushing Exercises
    t - off
    w - Pulling exercises
    t - off
    f - legs (mainly squats)
    s - off

the number of sets/reps isn't important (or at least it isn't to me). What I have found to be important is the intensity of the workout.
    Right now, I use heavy weight and low reps (75-90% 1rm 2-6 reps a set) until I can't do 75% more than 3 times. then I quit the workout. I also use multijoint exercises instead of singlejoint ones. Soon I will change to all body weight exercises just to change it up a little bit.

Also, IF YOU CAN'T HOLD IT YOU CAN'T PICK IT UP. meaning you need to get yourself a good grip. I would recommend checking out ironmind.com and looking at their grip tools. As far as working out your grip goes I do grippers training everyday skipping a day everyonce in a while. I think that is how you get the fastest results. Grip is probably one of the most important things in MA in my opinion.

Oh yeah, do core exercises everyday skipping a day everyonce in a while.

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 1:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im thankful to all teh people who posted. I will think carefully on every advise Ive got.
    Still, I dont want this thread to die yet.
    Im not asking for everybody to build me a whole plan, little tips are also wellcomed.
    Please, keep posting, discuss if you want to.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll throw one more thing out there. People don't need to start splitting things up (Pull/push, Back/Chest etc.) until they can handle heavy weights.

I don't know your current condition, but I personally think beginners get better results doing a full workout every session for 2-3 months. As you get stronger, you should work out harder, less often.

Remember, you don't grow being in the gym, you grow when you rest and recover. The real question is: what can you recover from?
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 3:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Ronin, you sound just like Little and Sisco.... read their stuff?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast