Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Periodization of multiple forms of exercise

On the subject of periodization a couple questions have arrisen in my mind and I can't quite seem to find any literature on the subject. Most martial artists need to combine endurance periodization and strength periodization. Both have been written about in detail as to how you can best accomplish these things individually. The problem arrises when I try to combine the two. How does one maximize the effect of the supercompensation phase without retarding the development of strength? Does it even really matter? Obviously you're probably not going to want to train them on the same day. So how does one combine endurance training with strength training? Would it be better to simple make two completely new mesocycles for endurance? That seems a little excessive as well as seeming like it would impair strength development significantly. Anyone have some ideas on how to combine the two effectively?

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't.
    You keep them seperate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously but how much time should I allow after an endurance workout for a strength workout and vice versa. Strength one day and endurance the next?

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides listening to your body, it would depend on the level of intensity of not only the workout done but the work out to be performed.

Juggling Strength and MA is a tricky thing, you need to find what works for you, for some it could be a 2 days on, one day off, for others, every other day, for some, four days on, one day off is just fine.
    Its very much a process of trial and error.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:59pm

Style: hard work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still contend that you can train both strength and endurance simultaneously. But then again, I have demonstrated myself to be notoriously slow learner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 7:43am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you mean 'at the same time' as in 'during the same session' or 'the same mesocycle or so'?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean during the same mesocycle and how those workouts (strength and endurance) should be broken down into an individual microcycle. I'm still fairly new to this whole periodization thingy. I guess I need to do more research.
    Last edited by Loredon; 9/06/2004 5:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 2:19am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmmm. You probably can, but it's probably not the most efficient way of doing things due to conflicting enzymes, etc. Or is that aerobic gains and strength?