Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 12:41pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

foot injury

While taking a grappling class about a week ago: lucky me I got paired up with the 170 lb football player. He's a nice guy and all, but at about 135 - 140 lbs myself (yes I'm puny...but only 17), I got tossed around like a rag doll. At any rate, at some point when I managed to pass his gaurd, he must've reverted to football mode and got straight up and tackled me to the ground. Interesting considering it was only supposed to be a gaurd passing drill. While doing so he fell on my left foot. A perfectly honest mistake, but it doesn't make it less painful.

Since at no point the injury has been incredibly painful or preventative of my doing anything short of running, or kicking things with my left foot I didn't feel the need to go to the doctor. Now that it's about a week later I am getting a little bit concerned.

Anyone have experience with a similar injury that could give me a guess as to when my foot will stop hurting? Any other advice such as putting cold or heat on it would be appreciated as well.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should see a doctor. You haven't given us enough information to even speculate as to what the problem may be. ie which way did your foot go? where is the pain, burning, numbness, tingling, etc? Any crepitus? What?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I sincerely apoligize for the lack of a lot of important information in my first post. First off the reason I don't really want to go to the doctor is because money has been tight around here as of late and my health insurance has been cancelled until the payments are processed. I'm in a bit of a pickle until either my insurance clears or my dad pays child support and I can go visit the doctor.

More info on the foot: The pain is incredibly dull when there is no pressure applied. The injury is on the outside ridge of the foot, inward to the smallest and forth toes (ring toe...don't know what to call it). When pressure is applied on the foot, like in walking or any pressure from the top the pain is much sharper, however it is still totally bareable. No burning or tingling sensations at all. Just annoying and a little bit of pain. I also seem to have full range of motion on both toes and ankle. Calling the doctor tomorrow anyway in hopes they'll take my word for the check being the mail or if maybe they'll at least give me some advice.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 5:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is the swelling? Did you ice it? Is the pain near one of the joints of the tarsals, or along the midshaft? Ask your father to pay for it, have you?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    9/04/2004 1:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some good news on my end. My health insurance cleared. Going to call the orthropedist in the morning in hopes he can give me some advice. Hoping not to have to go in because of some whole mess where I have to get a referal and whatnot.

Now that I am done with my griping:
    It is not swelling at all to my knowledge. I iced it the second I got home, then put a heating pad on it a little while afterwards. I apologize, I don't know the meaning of "tarsals" or "midshaft" despite trying to look them up in the dictionary. The best I can say is that the joints of the toes themselves don't hurt at all.

The best way I can really describe the pain is that it is on the side of my foot which would be equivilent to my pinky and ring fingers on my hand. Where the toes meet the foot (I've heard them called toe knuckles) and then back towards my body about 3 or 4 inches and inward from the outside ridge of my foot about another 2 inches on top of the foot is the most sensative to the touch. Pretty much near the instep...unless my understanding of what an instep is incorrect. I'm sure any problems will be solved in the near future by a doctor of some sort. Thanks for the willingness to help at any rate.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    9/04/2004 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad you're going to the doctor. I sympathize with your finanical situation, but I've always felt if you can't afford to get injured, you cannot afford to train in a manner that is likely to cause injury (high intensity and high contanct). I'm a consultant, I meet with clients all the time. I can't afford to show up limping or with my nose plastered on the side of my face. But I digress.

About your injury. You said the guy fell on your foot. What you're descirbing to me is more like an impact injury than a twisting one. I've had similar things happen to me, for example catching an elbow on the top of my foot when my partener blocked a kick.

My doctor prescribed rest, and a lot of it. I think he told me no martial arts for 6-8 weeks. He told me I could keep training, and if I didn't sustain another injury, things porbably wouldn't get worse, but they wouldn't get much better either. I trained several more months with pain in my foot. Even after I took one whole month off due to an unrelated surgery, my foot still hurt (although noticeably less) as soon as I started training again. It's been 5 or 6 months since my I first hurt my foot, I'm just getting to the point where I'm training bare foot again. I was wearing shoes for added stability and protection.

Good luck and you should probably listen to your doctor.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2004 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gypsy, glad to see your health insurance cleared. I was in a similar predicament and ended up having to pay 100% for my toenail surgery last year. :mad:
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Posted On:
    9/05/2004 4:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hate labor day. This year, and this year alone. My doctor's office is closed until Tuesday. And Tuesday is my first day of school. Just freaking great. Oh well, maybe it'll be an excuse to get out of class some day soon. Dojo is also closed labor day weekend, but a lot of good that does me with my foot as it is.