Posted On:
    9/03/2004 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tim Larkin + Matt Furey

www.targetfocustraining.com

This gentleman's name is Tim Larkin, he's supposed to be an ex-SEAL with the latest, greatest self-defense system. An excitingly original claim! Among his product lineup can be found:

1- The TFT 'Nuclear' Weapons Package, a set of videotapes (or DVDs!) teaching the consumer how to defend themself against a smorghasboard of armed and unarmed attacks for the modest price of $531 US.

2- "High-Density" TFT Mastery, with a one year tuition of either $2497 OR $500 down and $200 per month for the next eleven months. This is IF, of course, you've already attended and paid for one of his personal bootcamps. If you haven't, the price sees a modest increase to $3847 a year or $750 down and $310 per month.

3- A host of other videotape series, each at predictably obscene prices.

I don't know that much about the RBSD camps, so this all may be the usual procedure. His site is filled with claims of how effortless this system is to learn, how scientifically and cunningly designed it was (as opposed to the magic-based self defense systems of Ashida Kim), and further claims that might fit anywhere in the realm of truth, half-truth, and freebased delusion. His main claim to fame is that he's supposed to have personally rewritten the way that the Navy SEALs do combat today. I encourage anyone with personal experience in this field to contribute.

While this forms the bulk of his advertising, there is more. Yes, the dreadful hoedown stated in the title...

http://www.mattfurey.com/weapons.html
    http://www.targetfocustraining.com/p...ends/index.htm

A two-way deal! Our Mr. Larkin has formed some sort of diabolical tag team with everyone's favorite medium/catch wrestler/"world kung fu champion", Matt Furey. Farmer Burns would be rolling in his grave if he wasn't already in Furey's bed.

Wakka wakka wakka.

On a more serious note, this bears investigation or, at the very least, ridicule. I can't vouch for the legitimacy of Mr. Larkin's product line, but the extravagant prices (and his being in cahoots with Matt Furey) do not bode well. Mr. Furey has a history, for those willing to perform a short inspection, of buddying up with other dirty net-salesmen, using his customer base to profit the other... who, in turn, turns his customers back Furey's way. A sound business practice (each one seems quite good at making a buck, however sleazy), not entirely unlike a McDojo.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Larkin kind of reminds me of one of the Kobra Kai guys from Karate Kid. Maybe like a grown up version of that blond bully guy from karate kid 1.

In any case, if he claims to be a SEAL, you can always check at authentiseal.org

He's a fake.

NAME:Larkin, Tim -
    DATE POSTED: 20 DEC 2002
    COMMENTS: Mr. Larkin has made statements in one of his videos and some of his past seminars that left some people with the impression that he may have been a Navy SEAL. Mr. Larkin has informed AuthentiSEAL that he did not intend to leave that impression. Mr. Larkin has taken steps on his web site to clarify this issue.
    -authentiseal.org
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 9/03/2004 12:28pm at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from the sign up sheet:

'YES Tim, I want to walk away from this training with the principles and techniques needed to defeat any violent criminal intent on harming me or my family deeply imbedded in my subconscious, totally usable at any time... from the minute I leave training, to next year... even 10 years later... without further practice on my part.'

http://www.targetfocustraining.com/p...ainingresv.htm

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 12:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't hug your kids with Nuclear arms!

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:11pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Larkin never claimed to be a SEAL. He had a history of chronic ear problems. When he was doing some of the SCUBA training in the SEAL program he ruptured one or both drums and was medically disqualified from diving. He therefore didnt finish the SEAL program and never claimed he had as far as I know. His program is basically a variant of the SCARS program since he helped teach it during the 3 years that the SCARS system was utilized by the Navy Special Operations. Given that it has the same strengths and weakness of the SCARS system. Use of the search button should give you tons of info on the SCARS system which I dont particurly care to regurgitate.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So he is, then, like Matt Furey in that he's peddling a product that, in and of itself is not bullshit. The dirtiness is more contained in the hype and marketing.

Non ex-SEALness noted. Life is never as black and white as you'd like it to be.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    You can't hug your kids with Nuclear arms!
    hahaha, did you steal that off of a picket sign?
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Antagony
    hahaha, did you steal that off of a picket sign?
    Sorta, it was a slogan submitted for an elementary school anti-nuke poster contest when I was a child of the eighties!

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furey used to be partners with a dead man and claimed the dead man's ghost used to send him techniques while he walked.

True fucking story.

So Furey has found another bullshiter to help him make money. Shocking.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's so awesome. I should claim that the dead spirit of Colonel K teaches me techniques.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast