Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Opinions please.

A question in regards to strength training:

Should we do the exercises that we can do the most weight with, so that we can recruit the most muscle fibres?
    Or:
    Should we do the exercises that are the most difficult to perform, hence recruting the most muscle fibres ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:43am

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you should do the exercises that are most specific to your goals and/or aid in improving your greatest weaknesses. ergo, I wouldn't reccomend leg press because squat is a superior movement (lower back recreuitment, more glute and ham work, more compound etc.) and for strength goals, and sport training squats are where it's at even though most of the time you can't use as much weight.

That being said, I wouldn't reccomend a one armed kettle bell snatch on top of a wobble board cause even though it's really difficult and requires a lot of coordination, the time it takes to learn those skills is too great and in addition it's not specific to anything that doesn't resemble a circus act.
    Last edited by Urban; 9/03/2004 10:47am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:48am

Style: hard work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually work out alone, so I do not work with max weight very often. Actally, I don't really have a good understanding of what my max weight for most exercises would be. The Smith-type machine at my gym is not the same as free weights and I've always wondered just how representative the number really are. Generally I don't work out heavy enough, so I try and do exercises I find difficult.

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was reading a book, again, called "serious Strength training", and they have a list of exercises that they did the electromyograph crap on, to see whick exercises resulted in the highest muscle fibre recruitment, and some of the results were interesting, namely that, for example, the dumbell bench pressing recruits MORE muscle fibres than Barbell B. press, even with less weight, due to the add stabalising factor.
    Same thing for the overhead press DB VS BB, the dumbells recruited more muscle fibres, even though, less weight is used ( you can't do the same amount of weight with dumbells that you can with barbells).

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Urban

That being said, I wouldn't reccomend a one armed kettle bell snatch on top of a wobble board cause even though it's really difficult and requires a lot of coordination, the time it takes to learn those skills is too great and in addition it's not specific to anything that doesn't resemble a circus act.
    Yeah, because explosive movements while keeping your balance have nothing to do with martial arts or fighting.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Oddjob
    I usually work out alone, so I do not work with max weight very often. Actally, I don't really have a good understanding of what my max weight for most exercises would be. The Smith-type machine at my gym is not the same as free weights and I've always wondered just how representative the number really are. Generally I don't work out heavy enough, so I try and do exercises I find difficult.
    To find your max in any given exercise, you warm up to a weight you can do fro 6 reps, then you increase it by 10% and do as many as you can, rest a MIN of 3 min, more like 5 though, and increas another 10%, keep doing this till you hit a weight that you can only do for a max of 2 reps ( some say only 1 rep, but 2 gives you a better idea).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 11:11am

Style: hard work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will try that when I can get someone to spot me, I've always wondered.

I do the mojority of my weight training with DBs (no not forms) so it appears I have been doing something right afet all. I was just not comfortably under the loaded bar with no spotter and the DBs just seemed a harder exercise with less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 11:16am

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say it is absolutely about what is most (safely) difficult to perform, both in terms of the movement choice and manner of performing the movement. Full recruitment will occur so long as intensity is high.

As for the actual weight on the bar/DB/machine/etc., think about the purpose of the weight. It only serves to impede your movement. It allows you to reach a meaningful degree of inroad in a relatively short period of time. It also allows for tracking of progress and doing so incrementally. It is a means to an end. The absolute numerical value of that weight is 100% irrelevant.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I do most of my training with dumbells for several reasons one of which you (Ronin) already mentioned.

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 11:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by mike reese
    Personally, I do most of my training with dumbells for several reasons one of which you (Ronin) already mentioned.
    How is that working out for you Miguel ?
    And how do you compare it to what you did before ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast