232549 Bullies, 4411 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What is the correct way to cook spaghetti?

Voters
667. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1: Pasta finished then cooked in sauce

666 99.85%
  • Option 2: Pasta and sauce served separately

1 0.15%
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/12/2004 1:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They all seem very happy about something in that picture

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/12/2004 2:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one of the right looks like she's about to cry, but is trying to keep a brave face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2004 6:35am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    those girls look pretty jailbait to me...

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    9/12/2004 6:02pm

Style: BJJ, Eceptar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one on the right= Brand's gf at the time. She has reason to cry. In the middle=cmorra.

And the gunk is cake frosting. So help me, it is cake frosting.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: No, Prego!- by The Wastrel

This, IMHO, is what this thread is all about.

Also, I have to note: Spaghetti and sauce served separately is winning again. Palestinians.

Uh, I mean "Philistines", sorry about that.

Originally posted by brandeissansoo
    Wastrel sent this to me and asked me to post it:

There is a strong undercurrent of class resentment in the recent debate over how to serve spaghetti and Prego sauce correctly, and it has begun to surge forward and burst into open hostility. I can’t help but notice that this debate is really between two brands of utter Philistinism. Furthermore, notions of class and pretension are entirely symptoms of this discussion being carried out between Americans who can pretend that Italian cooking represents sophistication and cosmopolitanism, rather than hungry Italian farmers gorging themselves on hearty starches and sauces made from cheaply available produce.
    The dilemma for solving this debate is that the fundamentals of the question make it impossible to refer to experts on Italian cooking, or even, to be honest, enthusiastic amateurs. If you ask my fiancee’s Nonno (Italian for grandfather) what the correct use of a jar of Prego is he’s likely to misunderstand the spirit of the question and answer, “Target practice.” Likewise, the truly indoctrinated are not exactly enthusiastic about the uses of “spaghetti”. If you want to talk orzo, francobolli, mezzelune, or gnocchi, count me in; “spaghetti” is like a code word for fake Italian food, as in common use it seems to mean noodle pasta and canned tomato sauce, rather than just a specific type of pasta.
    The truth is that option 2 betrays a basic ignorance of what Italian cooking is all about. With the exception of the extensive use of cheeses and cured meats, Italian cuisine seeks to highlight the simple glory of its essential ingredients. This aesthetic is why Italian food differs so much from the over-prepared and over-complicated French haute cuisine. Antipasti and primi and secundi piatti are designed to capture the essence of what was available today, at the moment, and the recipes are made to emphasise the quality of the ingredients over the acrobatics and alchemy of the chef. Serving sauce from a large communal container subverts the basic Italian principle of market-kitchen-table. Indeed, contemporary Italian chefs continue to eschew, even mock, refrigeration. That’s bad news for leftovers.
    Anyone who’s ever made real tomato sauce knows that you can’t really make enough to have large quantities of it left with which to drown your pasta. One recipe for pasta pomodoro I came across calls for 14 plum tomatoes for a mere 10 ounces of fusilli. I have the unusually good fortune to have a fiancée who learned how to cook in the city of Naples. According to her, to have enough tomato sauce to have a pot standing by for gluttons would take an insane quantity of tomatoes. Of course, she also says that it’s impossible to make real tomato sauce in the United States, even if you grow your own Italian plum tomatoes. According to her, tomatoes grown in regular soil can’t compare to those grown in the volcanic soil common to the area around Naples. There’s no hope for us, really.
    On the other hand, option 1 doesn’t seem much more attractive. There is a complicated interaction between pasta and sauce that dictates that every single combination is different. Pasta pomodoro is most definitely made according to option 1, but pesto is cold-prepared, and mixed into hot pasta, which doesn’t fit either option. Whenever we eat ravioli and dove gravy, the dove gravy is served independently in a tureen, which is clearly an option 2 dish. Of course, it might just be served separately because dove isn’t exactly a universally popular ingredient.
    But maybe we’re looking at this question all wrong. This isn’t a question about Italian cooking at all. This is a question about how best to prepare dorm food. The givens of this question are that we don’t have the correct ingredients, we don’t know anything about cooking, and we are trying to get the most bang for our buck. In this case, my advice would be to fortify your sauce as much as possible during preparation. As you are no doubt cooking your pasta with neither sea salt nor even olive oil, you’re going to want to drown that tasteless mess as much as possible. The key here is garlic. Garlic, and a decent wedge of real Parmigiano will save your dish of goop from complete inedibility. Finally, you should cook your “pasta” and sauce together for a bit to infuse a bit of flavor, and keep a separate container on hand with which to drown your mediocre mess. The daring might also consider fresh basil, and a good hour-long reduction before serving.
    But really, arguing over how to prepare spaghetti and Prego is like arguing over the correct way to execute a Shaolin-Do form. In other words, your Kung-Fu is weak.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, what is the J-Lau Jitsu I hear you're studying, brand? Is it related to the Brazilian kind? Who is your instructor? I bet he's really good!
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/16/2004 5:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Driscoll
    And the gunk is cake frosting. So help me, it is cake frosting.
    There's some on his head...

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/16/2004 5:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by iamamonster
    those girls look pretty jailbait to me...
    Maybe 3-4 years behind me I think.

I'm guessing borderline?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2004 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to enjoy spaghetti is to cook it as normal, add the sauce to the pan. Then take it and fry it with a little oil, and add a little sauce if needed. I **** you not - THIS IS DELICIOUS!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2004 5:45pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving this thread....
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20 LastLast