Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 11:03am

Style: hard work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alternative Workouts?

If you are like me and you have limited time to workout, you might have tried some different ways to exercise, preferably with martial implications. For myself, I get bored with machines, and I donít usually have the time for both strength and a cardio session and I like variety.

What are some of the alternative workouts or different ways to perform a common exercise that you have come up with, preferably with martial implications?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Power Forms

For those that think forms are useless, try doing some power forms: After warm up, put on ankle and wrist weights, then pick up a ten-pound DB (for me) in each hand. Then do a form very slowly, like tai chi, using the lowest stances you can manage, concentrate on trying to maintain proper technique. After that set put down the DBs and do it again full speed, concentrate on the technique but get the speed up and focus on breathing. Go through your full repertoire of forms and this is a great workout Ė full cardio (anaerobic/aerobic) hits the shoulders and upper back big time, legs to some extent and it is functional. If you have a salute, be sure to do it before and after each set, when you are fatigued it just might be the toughest part. Also, try not to rest in between forms.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do cardio and MA together, obviously and even muscular endurance and MA, but strength training and MA ? you won't get much increase in strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why must strength and endurance always be separate? The above exercise hits my shoulders and back, I feel it the next day, and I feel I am stronger for it. In terms of absolute strength, I may not be gaining in the manner I would if solely on a hard-core weight program, but my overall fitness and strength in relation to my MA needsis improving and those are my goals.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 11:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why must strength and endurance be separate?
    Why, because you require different methods to train them to their potential, that's why.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 12:24pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a common approach people take, but it fails them. Attempting to take a skill-developing activity (MA training) and turn it into a fitness-developing activity leaves one with a poor degree of both.

Practice your art as-is...do not add resistance. This completely changes the neuromuscular patterns and distorts the motor learning process. Develop your general fitness characteristics (muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular ability, flexibility, body composition) through separate procedures designed around human physiology and mechanics.

On an aside, why do you believe it takes a tremendous amount of time to improve general fitness characteristics?

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mediocrates, that sounds like common sense, I'm going to have to ask you to leave
    :D
    but yeah, I have no idea, get some of the in-shape people who know what they are doing (possibly ronin, but hes been spending an awful amount of time posting as of late :() to help ya out.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 1:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey...
    I post on my work time, not my work out time, I man has to have his priorities :)

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Things like joint flexibility, connective tissue and bone strength take much longer to develop than muscle.

Also, learning proper body mechanics takes time lest you risk setbacks from injury (because of doing movements wrong with too much velocity.

"Power forms" I hope this does not resemble "powerwalking" because I would hate to see a bunch of assholes tai-chiing their way down the street with wrist and ankle weights.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    9/01/2004 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ haha nice, you've certainly got a point there
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast