Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2004 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    No weight training? I'd get rid of one of those running days and hit the weights.

Honestly, I do nothing. I hate jogging. My soccer season just finished up, but I may start another one in uni. A couple 15ish less on the elliptical or whatever it is called warms be up for weights.
    I hit the weights at least 4 times a week....what I listed was just my cardio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2004 2:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currently I do 2 sprint sessions a week and one long jog on the weekend.

I'm thinking about substituting the long jog with an all day hike in high altitude.

I dont know how much one altitude hike a week will help, but I enjoy hiking much more than boring jogs

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 8:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How effective is HIIT/interval training for fat loss and fitness?

Has anyone done this kind of training for awhile? is it worth it?

I'm not particularly fit but im not unfit either but I really don't think I can sprint full blast/jog for 30 seconds each for more then 15 min if that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 9:19am

Style: hard work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I think it is great for fitness and I have foundbetter cardio gains from it then straight running.

Throw in a fast walk after the jog till you recover enough to jog then back to sprint. Over time try to even them out with the idea of being able to recover enough in jog to sprint again. I was there, but I lost it.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although Mut I think you are running too much. Just stick to your martial arts routine and go running 2 - 3 times per week. That should be sufficient cardio work.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

MMA Instructor

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 11:06am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mut
    You've got as fit as you are going to get jogging for 40 mins 3-4 times per week. If you really want to get into shape for fighting you must do sprints. Try this 10 min warm-up, then a 5 min interval broken down into sets of 20 seconds sprint as hard as you can, walk 10 seconds, sprint 20 sec. walk 10 = 1 min. Do that 5 time and then cool down - jog for 5. This 20/10,20/10 set is called a Tabata Interval and it is the preferred "cardio" workout of many pro MMA, Of course they will build a bigger than 5 min tank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 12:13pm

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    cardio is for pussies who are to wimpy to do bag work !!
    Yessir. Not being currently enrolled in a boxing or MT gym, I'm a huge fan of Bas ruttens tapes on the heavy bag 4+ times a week. Even so, I think that interval training has some serious merits, but I hate running so I stick to bag work. SPP = Superior cardio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are also merits to performing aerobic work in multiple variations. For example running one day, swimming the next, cycle the next, then row etc. Gives you a more well rounded conditioning perspective. Bagwork also has alot of merit but ONLY doing bagwork would be counter productive to a well rounded aerobic base.

Edit: comment that shows the extent of my stupidity removed.
    Last edited by Loredon; 9/03/2004 1:23pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 7:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by mod com gym
    Mut
    You've got as fit as you are going to get jogging for 40 mins 3-4 times per week. If you really want to get into shape for fighting you must do sprints. Try this 10 min warm-up, then a 5 min interval broken down into sets of 20 seconds sprint as hard as you can, walk 10 seconds, sprint 20 sec. walk 10 = 1 min. Do that 5 time and then cool down - jog for 5. This 20/10,20/10 set is called a Tabata Interval and it is the preferred "cardio" workout of many pro MMA, Of course they will build a bigger than 5 min tank.
    Ill try that but I'm also trying to cut weight. Will this tabata interval thing do that?

MMA Instructor

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 7:48pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends...do you mean fat or muscle? You will lose fat but you will increase muscle mass. So you man lose inches but gain pounds. Think of the Olympic runners - marathoners are skinny rails. sprinters are buff. You want to train your "cardio" like a sprinter unless you are trying to drop into a lower weight class for comp.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast