Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 9:09pm

Style: Wing Chun, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I train in Muay Thai, or Wing Chun?

I'm gonna start going to this school that Djimbe recommended: http://www.wingchunmuaythai.com/
    Here's the response to the email I sent to the instructor:

WE teach two systems muay thai and wing chun it`s up
    to witch you want to train in.i don`t recomend
    training in both systems unless you have
    experince.please make an appointment if you are
    interested in training 408-286-5609
    Thank you Sifu Rey Garcia
    --- Hormuz Barnia <runawayshinobi@msn.com> wrote:

> I'm planning on joining your school, but I have a
    > question. How is it that
    > it's both Muay Thai AND Wing Chun? Are they both
    > taught in the lessons? Are
    > they seperate lessons? Thanks a lot. Looking forward
    > to classes.
    >
    > -Hormuz Barnia
    >

So I have a choice. Which would you do?

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on how the school devotes much more time to Muay Thai, I'd say go with that.

Most people are going to vote for Muay Thai without reading a word of what you or anyone else writes, so consider the length of the posts you bother listening to.

Edit: Holy ****, I just looked at the curriculums. Wing Chun is mostly forms and chi sau whereas the Muay Thai is typical Thai conditioning and guaranteed sparring. I think the answer is obvious.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 8/31/2004 9:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 9:23pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which skills do you want? It looks as though the instructors have more WC experiance, but go with the style that offers the most skills that YOU want. Tell the teacher you plans and see what course he suggests.

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osiris
    Take the muay thai.
    See what I'm talking about?

HackingYodel, you're assuming the training methods are equal. They clearly aren't. Its a question of if he wants to be able to apply his skills or not, unless I'm ignoring the potential dangers of attackers with three stiff arms and a protruding leg. The Wing Chun training section describes nothing but forms (and whatever Bil Gil is), whereas the Muay Thai class is all general conditioning and sparring, along with pad drilling that equals most of the training in Wing Chun.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 8/31/2004 9:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ".....We have two programs at Rey's non contact Muay Thai and competive Muay Thai.

Non-Contact- Rey takes the beginners through the basics of Muay Thai, utilizing Thai pads and heavy bag work as well as non - contact sparringdrills. As you advance you will learn advance training techniques and get in the best physical shape of your life.

Competitive- Our competitive training is for those who truley want to experiance full contact sparring. You must pass all test from levels 1 - 5 to qualify for this class. All students must run 4 miles, 4 rounds of jump rope, 4 rounds of shadow boxing, 4 rounds of pad or heavy bag and spar 4 rounds for class. This class will take you to the limit and prepare you for the ring and the streets."

Warlocked asked "So I have a choice. Which would you do?" I would take the Thai. I would not assume that the training methods are equal though and would work out my plans with the teachers. I don't know what Warlocked wants to gain from his MA training and therefore can not say that WC would not be for him. Perhaps he just wants to have that Bruce Lee thing going on, I don't know.

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 10:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, the non-contact Muay Thai (is there truly such a thing :confused: ) would be called "cardio kickboxing for soccer moms" if it wasn't a filter for the competitive class.

I can't imagine what you'd want to gain from MA training that doesn't involve sparring (which Bullshido's WC posters have confirmed chi sau is not). And I don't know what you mean by "Bruce Lee thing", but I assume you mean going "WOOOEEEEEEEEAAAAA!" and posing before he gets hit in the face with a board.

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yeah, I am aware that no school is going to train the way TigerFly perceives Straight Blast Gym. My kickboxing class doesn't spar all the time either since the wrong mix of people results in a night of one-sided poundings. But the Wing Chun curriculum on that site does not mention sparring anywhere, and there is a clear distinction that one Muay Thai class is the real deal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 10:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They do offer "SPARRING CLASS ALL LEVELS" on Friday @ 7:00 p.m. Does this include WC as well? The guys see fit to teach both styles, so they must find some value in both. Why not ask them which best fits your needs?

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't see fit to spar in one of them. But believe whatever you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2004 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate not knowing something, so I sent the school an e-mail. I'll post the response as to how much sparring or aliveness you can get with the WC. Djimbe put Warlocked on to the school, what does he know about it? Not trying to argue with you Shumagorath, I just want the kid to make the best decision for himself.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast