Posted On:
    9/04/2004 3:42pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright:

Martial = refering to war
    Art = stylistic expression

I don't see how knights were "expressing" themselves when they killed people using swords. If you use the full potential of the definition of martial, use the full potential of the word art with it. For example do not say everything relating to war is automatically a martial art without saying everything which is a stylistic expression is a martial art (this is not specifically to you ronin). Of course many martial arts use swords or other weapons, but that doesn't automatically mean every time someone uses a weapon he is performing a martial art. Furthermore (Spunky) I definitely don't see where martial arts extend to rifles. I haven't heard of any martial arts that use rifles, but maybe they exist. In any case go up to a marine with an AK 47 and ask him if he is expressing himself stylistically.

In case you don't see where I'm going with this: I would like to clarify how far you consider the martial aspect of the martial arts to extend. If you ask the average person on the street if a knight was a martial artist, I'm pretty convinced most of them would say no. The fact that they don't practice martial arts doesn't make them less eligble to judge the meaning of a word.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    9/04/2004 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Death is an artform like any other...its brushes have evolved from the hands to blunt or bladed weapons, the bow, the rifle, tanks, bombs and its perfection will continue. It even has its own odd beauty to some. A swordsman expresses himself through his blade with every stroke. He aspires for precision and perfection. The same is to be said for a markmanship in the military or law enforcement...the almighty one shot-one kill. They are expressing themselves in their own style.

Oh, if you want a marine to stylistically express himself with an AK.....give him a moving target. It will be a thing of beauty to see what he does to it.

WELL , Back to the law books.........I'm so freakin bored, can't you tell?? lol.. I need a drink
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2004 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then why does almost no one in the world consider using guns a martial art?

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    9/05/2004 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any bloody fool can pull a trigger.

This young lad is practicing martial art with no guidance; a very bad idea!

Last edited by Moleculo; 9/05/2004 12:51am at .

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    9/05/2004 2:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course swordfighting is a martial art; there ARE old European manuals on it, y'know!
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2004 6:49pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Draggor said:
    Alright:

Martial = refering to war
    Art = stylistic expression
    NO! NO NONON ONONO! Just... No! Art is NOT simply stylistic expression, especially if you insist on using "the full potential of the word art."

[b]art
    n.
    Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

5. A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

a) A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.

b) A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

a) Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.

b) Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).

8. arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    Artful contrivance; cunning.

I don't see how knights were "expressing" themselves when they killed people using swords.
    They were probably expressing something along the lines of "DIIE MOTHERUCKER AND GET OFF OF MY LAAAND **** DON'T STICK THAT IN MEE DIIIIIEEE!!!"

I haven't heard of any martial arts that use rifles, but maybe they exist.
    I'm pretty sure most armies have shooting and bayonet instructors, manuals, training grounds, drills and exercises, combat simulations, and pretty much everything else in a martial arts system.

If you ask the average person on the street if a knight was a martial artist, I'm pretty convinced most of them would say no. The fact that they don't practice martial arts doesn't make them less eligble to judge the meaning of a word.
    Of course they would. But then the average person is completely ignorant of the subject, so in that respect they are perfectly ELIGIBLE to judge the meaning but that doesn't make them RIGHT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are your parents still in custody of you after dropping you so much?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as "art" goes, I'm three years into my degree from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. Between that, my practice of martial arts, and at least cursory research into the fighting styles of Europe through several books and online resources, I would put my qualification to present an adequate definition of the phrase "martial art" a little above that of most people I meet in day to day life.

If you are really curious about how history describes the methods employed by western soldiers, I can recommend a couple sources to start with.

The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe by Sydney Anglo
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0300...13#reader-page

And The Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts which has an excellent online library of martial arts (as they describe) manuscripts dating back to the 11th century.

So maybe I'm not qualified to make such radical interpretations of the phrase, I mostly got it from sources like this. And the dictionary. So take it up with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever look at the definition in a dictionary of a martial art it is about half the time considered weaponless, which is ignorant, so dictionary definitions don't mean jack.

Those two books see it that way but read almost all history books school and none will say the martial arts of renaissance times.

You kinda ignored the part about modern military, and never mentioned anything about me repeating ronin's arguments.

I really don't see why a degree in art would make you more knowledgeable about martial arts. They aren't really related that closely: painting and fighting...

And research into the fighting styles of Europe, which based on the books that agree with you, you put as a martial art, does not mean you know more about martial arts.

Even if I'm wrong about knights, which I definitely might be because I don't care about the subject that much, you still have not proven in any way at all the part where today's modern military is a martial art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2004 9:33am

Style: Muay Thai noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Asian martial arts teach (or used to teach) weapons. Kung fu is full of weapons forms. Aikido still uses bokken in classes. These are the weapons they were using to make war on eachother.

So when a chinese guy in silk pajamas learns the skills to kill a people with a weapon that was a pretty good warrior's weapon some hundreds of years ago, it's a martial art; but when an american guy in fatigues learns the skills that are good for killing people nowadays, it isn't a martial art?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast