Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Legs training question

Allright, ina couple of months I will start training to build some muscle. I´m stil working on the routine I´ll do and the more I read about the subject, the more questions arise´, as usual.

But let´s get to the point. The fact is that I want to get bigger in my upper body, you see, torso, arms... but I don´t wanna get bigger legs. My legs are big enough and it is easy for me to gain voulme on these when I´m training. Still, I don´t want to miss my legs in the training, I would like to make them stronger, so, here´s the question.

How could I train my legs to make them stronger but not bigger, amidst a growing training?

At first, I was tought of to training weights 3 days a week, (monday, wednesday and friday) and going with the static bike or the stairmaster on tuesday and thursday. Would these make them stronger? or would they just help my cardio?

Thanks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to www.crossfit.com
    try the workout of the day
    download the free article "What is Fitness"
    and focus on function not looks

Ready are you? What know you of ready? supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    amen
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Ready are you? What know you of ready? supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like Tarzan, fights like Jane
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither of you did answer my question. Thanks anyway, specially you, Little Idea, for your brilliant comments.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are your legs 15 inches larger in circumference than your arms?

I didn't think so. Keep training them.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to train them. I don´t want to make them bigger. I still don´t know why this is too difficult to understand. And I don´t know why you´re trying to make me change my mind instead of giving me the advice I´m looking for.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gFocus on function not looksh is going to be the best advice youfre going to get in this thread, I think. That said, you could train like a powerlifter for legs, doing high weight/low reps, and/or train for endurance doing high reps, with weights or bodyweight exercises - actually, Crossfit is like this a lot of the time anyway. Just avoid the typical bodybuilding gmaximum hypertrophyh 6-15 rep range for legs most of the time.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're gaining weight, you're going to grow a bit, you can't help that.

Honestly? I'd just ignore my legs for now, work your upper body until satisfied, and then work the legs up/down as required once you're stable.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by CrimsonTiger
    If you're gaining weight, you're going to grow a bit, you can't help that.
    Growing a bit I don´t mind. The fact is that it is easy for me to grow the legs. I´ve always been disproportioned. When I was in karate (I was about 14-15 years old then), I had the upper body of a very skinny 12 y.o. boy and the legs of a soccer player.
    Oh, and by the "look funntion over looks", I agree, but I see no harm in gaining a little muscle, after all, i´m not pretending to gain huge loads of muscle, just a little.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last