Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great point, There still maybe a need for some type of leadership to keep the core of the system intact. Trad. m.a. is based on maintaining tradition.

EAT SLEEP TRAIN
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry dropped headphones on keyboard - hangs head in shame, backs away from keyboard

EAT SLEEP TRAIN
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Jeremy,

Great question.

It seems important that a successor is named - someone that has trained closely with the teacher/founder for many years. Ideally, this would continue the art as close as possible to the founder's development if he were still alive. This person(successor) can serve as a "reference" for other students of the art - which can help squelch out any squabling between lower-ranked instructors and students as to which "way" is correct.

How would the Founder, from his background and experience, have wanted the art to evolve? That, of course, is speculation, but ideally his closest student would be closest able to answer it.

It seems nowadays, that more people are interested in being given a title/certificate or persuing their own personal interests than practicing and sweating to evolve the original art to a higher level.

I really don't know who will be successor for Ji Han Jae. Maybe he doesn't really either, which could be why he has traveled lately to Korea in attempts to unify Hapkido. I know he has senior practicioners around the world, but I don't know how close they are with him anymore. He's had many students over the years, including myself. I've had the experience to practice as his partner and hip throw him to the floor. He is a great example to set to those students that would rather mud-sling, than practice.

Ultimately, the art belongs to the people that train and sweat - not the politicians or businessmen that would bend the art to suit their own purpose. But, I believe it is important to have a "senior" that continues to sweat and train as reference for the students with less knowledge of the art they study.

Robert McLain

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in favour of letting an art evolve with each generation. I may currently be learning Fred & Steves Taikidochi but in years to come my students will be learning Sams Scientific Bitchslapping.
    What I do firmly believe in though is for the previous generation to grant/refuse permission for the new generation to teach in their name.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now can we get some intellectual view points on the topic at hand?
    LOL
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12