Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [Rows will work your posterior delts, and while that is important (and should be included in his routine), I don't think that is what he's after.
    Too many men end up with well developed anterior and lateral delts with little attention paid to the posteriors. This is presumably the "look" he is after.

I tend to work the post.delts in part because of the reasoning that like with any opposing muscles the imbalance is potentially harmful (i.e. calf/shin imbalance --> shin splints; ab/lower back imbalances). Any validity to this thinking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 5:33pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to work the post.delts in part because of the reasoning that like with any opposing muscles the imbalance is potentially harmful (i.e. calf/shin imbalance --> shin splints; ab/lower back imbalances). Any validity to this thinking?
    This is only a problem with people who put far more emphasis on upper body pushing movements. If you have a fair balance of upper body pulling movements, the posterior deltoid is being utilized sufficiently since it is involved in any retraction of the humerus.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do body building type work outs. I figured if I worked the front delts in a fair amount of isolation I ought to work the rear similarly. It's moot now. Thanks though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 6:05pm

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, structural balance is important. Perhaps I wasn't emphasising enough that he have a good routine already instead of putting good exercises in a shitty routine (thus leading to muscle imbalance). For a good read on acheiving structural balance you can read the article Acheiving Structural Balance by charles polquin. I actually don't see it the way he does, but there he brings up a couple of good points that I would not have otherwise considered as far as balance is concerened (like Rotator cuff work). Most of the time striving to be even (ergo press as much as you can bent over row) will keep you pretty injury free.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123