8/30/2004 2:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is fitness?
    Baby don't hurt me.
    Don't hurt me......no more!

Other than that a quick scan of the articles Siu Lim Tao posted seem good.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    8/30/2004 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crossfit is great, although maybe a little intimidating. Get someone with a clue to teach you to clean and snatch before you start doing crossfit workouts.

www.trainforstrength.com is a good place to start. The free bodyweight workouts there are enough to make good progress.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2004 4:54pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the point is that you should be training your entire body, which means all of the major muscle structures (hips, thighs, back, chest). Think in terms of lifts and movements, not body parts, as this is how the body is arranged. Consider the basic types of movement possible: upper body push, upper body pull, compound hip/thigh. These are addressed with the squat, deadlift, leg press, chin, dip, pulldown, pullover, bench/chest press, and overhead press. You don't have to do (nor want to do) all of those, but pick some to cover the entire body.

Learn what good form is. Practice your form with ridiculously light weights. Do not attempt to be macho and charge right into intensity. Gradually increase the resistance from workout to workout so your form is kept solid but the training becomes more demanding. Eventually it should be very challenging.

Train hard, go home, eat, and rest. Come back and do it again in a few days.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    8/30/2004 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need my shuolders built, like muscle mass .
    i'm scrawny on my upper body, i'm gonna start pumpin iron at my highschools gym, and i'm wondering what exercizes would be best to build up my arm and shoulder muscles...
    thanks in advance,
    Your in TKD, learn to kick like a horse. Your weak upper body will only mislead opponents :D
    in any case, listen to some of the guys on this board, (assuming this isn't a troll) they have some good advise.

Heres some more good advise: Use a spellcheck...
    -Tom

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 1:54am

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overhead presses (military press being my favorite overhead press) have the most shoulder (deltoid) recruitment of any exercise and being a compound movement makes them particularly suited to strength development as well. however they are quite taxing on the shoulders and may not be appropriat for an in-season routine (for a fighter this may be if you are training in your discipline hard 4+ times a week) because of the added stress on the tissue and joint. If this is the case I would reccomend incline presses (around 45 degrees) to avoid injuries. yes you might be able to train with overhead presses year and not get hurt, but why risk it when incline presses have good shoulder recruitment and a more sport specific bar bath and range of motion. Bear in mind that most overhead presses can be performed with a barbell or dumbells to add variation and avoid burnout.

That all being said you would be better suited to have a good full body routine (that included heavy deads and squats some time during the week) for some time, wrather than add good exercises like overhead presses to an otherwise shitty routine. so... SQUAT!!!
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 2:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of like rows. This is the bent over dumbbell row:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

For more exercies, check out this page:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rows will work your posterior delts, and while that is important (and should be included in his routine), I don't think that is what he's after. BTW bent over barbell rows are superior to bent over Dumbell rows. I only do the latter if my lower back is too fried for the former.

*edited to change a term.
    Last edited by Urban; 9/03/2004 10:42am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:39am

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you meant posterior deltoid fibers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oops... yeah I think that's what I meant. Just testing you guys...
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/03/2004 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea well, I don't enough weight here at home anymore to do barbell rows so I do the dumbbell rows. I really need to buy more weight this month.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast