Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chi is a concept made up of lies and falsehood. What you need is something reliable and proveable, such as rings that give you IMMORTALITY.
    http://www.alexchiu.com/ can give you immortality, and if you're not satisfied, he offers a 90 days refund offer.
    http://www.alexchiu.com/ is the way of the future.
    The future is bright, the future is Alex Chui.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 9:27am

Style: escrima, wc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol

from the testimonials section:

I've had an increase in energy, well-being, and I am pretty sure my IQ has gone up 10-20 points. That's just an estimate, but I feel A LOT smarter. Answers to problems and questions come easier, and I feel more creative.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't know about this one. something's fishy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 10:46am

Style: Taiji quan yang style ("cheng fu" and "lu chan"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys, i'm a newbie here. What do you think of the MAs which are chi based ? So if you all say that chi is only bullshit, how do you explain that acupuncture works ??!!
    I'm not picking up a fight to defend my practice (taichi) but i think you forgot to take some info into account. Using chi during combat I assumed is impossible unless you become able not to intellectualize you're fight. If someone can use needle to influence my body ?? How does it work ? What is the process of this stuff ?? I mean a martial artist has got to be careful with all the **** people tell us out there to make money but he should anyway keep an hear and an eye on everything.
    Anyway i want my immortality ring so i'm going.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the land of cynics and doubters.
    The two arts I currently practice are Aikido and Sun style taiji, but I don't subscribe to the mystical chi explanation for why these arts work. Despite this, I'm still on the left wing liberal side of the debate compared to some of our resident Chi nazi's (Hi Wastrel!). As for why acupuncture works, I don't know, I've never tried it, but I think I'd happily tell someone I'm cured if only he'll stop sticking pins in me.
    Enjoy your time here, defend your corner and what you believe. Otherwise there won't be any fun arguments.

Alex Chiu for President!
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote: "So if you all say that chi is only bullshit, how do you explain that acupuncture works ??!! "

Because it doesn't.

A.K.A MEAT

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second that. Acupuncture doesn't work. It does not provide the health benefits to you that it is claimed to have. The problem here is that the arguments for acupuncture will follow the same pattern as those for qi, and eventually somebody will be arguing that acupuncture works because it verifiably relaxes you, and that's important for healing. But that is NOT the totality of claims for acupuncture. Before you tell us it works, why don't you tell us how YOU think it works.
    Sam: Nazi? Hey! I think I put up the most respectful argument against qi that I' ve seen on this board yet. ;)

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
  8. KC Elbows

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 12:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel,
    You've put yourself in a spot there. Accupuncture has had success in the lab, including as an anasthetic. Now, big claims are bull, but there has not only been success, but in western labs as well as in it's home country.

Whether the reason aspects of accupuncture work is chi or simple physiology does not change the fact that aspects of it have been found to work. How it works is secondary to does it work, and research suggests it does.

And that's why you're a nazi. ;) Just kidding.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to second KC on this one. I don't believe it's "qi" that's being "freed and circulated" that causes acupuncture to work. But I HAVE seen/experienced it's positive effects.

HOWEVER, there are still crackpot claims that bother me. The Sifu that does the acupuncture and taichi (and qi gong) that I've witnessed has this nasty tendency to promise the world. For simple things like improving asthma, skin conditions, shortening healing times, etc. he seems very effective. But when he tells cancer patients to go off their medication because it's affecting their qi...THAT bothered me.

I think with time acupuncture will have its place, but it'll be much more reasonable than many currently claim it should have.

And Wastrel's not a Nazi. He's just American. (UH OH! *ducks and covers*)

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2003 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had accupuncture done to remove blood clots around injuries. It gets the blood flowing to the damaged area again, which promotes faster healing. Certainly not magical, but not entirely BS either.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast