Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 9:35pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    Ok for example, I can get a Gi choke from guard pretty well, but I never seem to be able to sink an armbar or Kimura.
    Are you like rolling with 2 month white belts or something?

No one should tap from a gi choke while in the guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 11:48pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Zero Point

He's saying they are in his guard, not the opposite.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by mikus
    He's saying they are in his guard, not the opposite.
    I know. My statement still stands. Regarding the person who is getting choked... What skill level are they?

There are two ways to my knowledge that will counter this gi choke.

1. Grabbing your opponent's gi palm down and pushing it across his/her windpipe with all of your weight. They will let go of their choke to get your hand off their throat.

2. Grabbing with your left hand reaching across your opponent's elbow and then reaching across your arm to grab your own elbow. This stops the choke.
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian,

Seeing as you have long legs...although they are long and skinny, not long and manly like mine :) here is a great omo that may work since you have the "pull hand to same side and pull down with hips". I was going to type all of this **** out, but let me post a link.

http://www.bjj.org/techniques/thetec...acareUmaPlata/

This kind of shows it but is missing a pic or two...basically as your opponent stands, hook the leg on the same side of the body that you are attacking with your arm and spin yourself to that side. As you do this throw a leg over that same side shoulder for a omoplata. The combination of spinning, holding the leg, and throwing your leg over the shoulder will bring down someone a lot heavier than you...if you have long legs it is great to abuse people with since you can cover so much distance with this.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

1% Shark is better than you.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 9:37am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Zero Point

Actually a lot of the time, yes I am. Also my Gi chokes are pretty subtle I set them up really early.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    Actually a lot of the time, yes I am. Also my Gi chokes are pretty subtle I set them up really early.
    Hehe, it was about after 2 months that i learned to counter that choke. :)

Posted On:
    9/15/2004 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I guess when I think about it I never catch anyone of similar skill level in a gi choke from my guard, but I generally attribute that to my lack of skill with gi chokes. There are a couple of people at my club who have a real good gi choke from guard (not a cross choke) where you have the cross grip on the lapel, and if they have bad posture you kind of rap that arm around their throat and thread your other arm inside and over your own bicep. I remember when I first started bjj and I had terrible posture, and I got raped by that choke over and over again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 11:49pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Grabbing your opponent's gi palm down and pushing it across his/her windpipe with all of your weight. They will let go of their choke to get your hand off their throat.

or they might armbar you

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've got the knee up in a "combat base" and you're ready for it it's pretty hard to get armbarred unless they're really good. Or, some people keep a normal, standing base and squee the knees together to limit hip mobility.

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 1:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something occurred to me last night. I watched Eduardo drill a friend on the basics of passing the guard (it was his first class), and I noticed how important proper posture is inside someone's guard to keep yourself safe. I mean, I had "known" this before, but it hadn't really clicked. I looked at the different parts of proper posture (as my noob mind understands them) and figured out why they are so:

Knees apart in a wide base to prevent sweeps.
    Arms stiff and straight against stomach to keep from being pulled down.
    Back straight and head up to keep from being pulled down or your head and arms controlled.

When sparring with my buddy, I observed how breaking any of these points of his posture created opportunities for me to attack. It went like this:

When he brought his knees together, reducing his base, he got scissors swept.
    When I made him fall to one side (losing his base entirely) he couldn't stop me from taking his back. If he had just gotten to his knees, he would have been able to start defending me moving to rear mount.
    When I controlled his arms and didn't allow him to place them in the proper place, I could bend him over at will, and setup armbars and chokes.
    Taking him out of proper posture also interrupted or prevented guard passes, and also exhausted him as he tried to return to the proper posture over and over again.

It was later that night when I was reading from The Triangle by Rigan Machado that I finally spotted what I'd been forming in my mind all night. It was this:

You create attacks from the guard by breaking your opponent's posture.

"Attacks" is general here, meaning submissions, sweeps and positional advances.

I'm fairly sure this rule can apply in any situation where your opponent has a more or less definite posture he needs to be in such as side mount, half guard, and obviously, mount.

Now this might not be anything ground breaking to anyone but me, since it's rather basic. Maybe it was obvious to you guys all along, but it wasn't until last night that I really noticed this datum in action. Most of the recommendations in this thread are based around the assumption you've broken their posture, or are recommendations on how to break their posture with the intention of attacking. I just thought you might find this simplified, general observation interesting.

Just fight with the intention of breaking their posture, and I think you'll find a million different ways to do so, and a million different ways to setup attacks.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast