Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dark Majique
    I am no expert in BJJ but I would imagine the higher your guard is, the easier it is to transfer to a triangle. That is the only advantage I can see of the high guard.
    Or armbar, we train the high guard triangle/armbar at me gym alot. It's also good because it helps to keep them from sitting up as easily.
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 12:30pm

Style: Im a Lover, not a fighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In MMA, high guard also keeps them close. Keeping your guard low is only a sport BJJ thing, bu not something you would want to do in a fight.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA (and others)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Triangles, armbars, shoulderlocks, sweeps... I personally like to mix-up my guard game, ie; I'll play a high guard with a wrestler (watch-out for footlocks!!!) because they try to use thier hips against you. For those of you not in the know, a high guard pulls the opponent down to you/and forces them to bend at the waist. Anyway, try getting HG then pulling one of your ankles over his head (diff. to explain/easy to show) this will force him to either drive his head into you (sets up the sweep/taking the back/armbars/etc...) or pull away from you (sets up more sweeps/or armbars/or omoplatas/or...). With the Gi there are a few more options (like chokes, etc.) without it your kinda limited to a certain # of things that are viable. The movement Aesopian is talking about is good to set up armbars, etc. , if you want to sweep (the same way) just grab the head (as if to do an armbar on the side you pulled across) and hug it to your upper chest, angle off (sharply) then scoop the same side leg and throw it over his head. You will end up in the mount, then...well you get the pic. Give it a shot, and GL!!!

Aesopian
    Thank you very much, I am glad it helped you out. Also, get used to moving those hips, you have a leverage advantage in being tall, but you have to get your opponent to move where you want them to, or move yourself into position for the sweep.
    [A friend once told me he found Jennifer Connelly hot.
    "Would she still be hot if she were melting in a car wreck, like at the end of Pollock, smelling of burnt hair and bubbling intestines?" I asked.
    "Oh hell yeah."
    "How? How would you even have sex with her?"
    "Just let her cool and fold her over, like an omolette."
    Since then we've always had this universal sign for Jennifer Connelly, it's like an "opening a book" motion, only backwards. And we are often known to softly remark "....like an omolette".]--boyd

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 1:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm about 6'2" (maybe closer to 6'3") and weight 158 lbs. on a good day. I couldn't break 150 lbs. before I started BJJ no matter how much I stuffed my face. In preparation for a tournament, I informally weighed myself last night with a gi on and I just made 162 lbs. I am notoriously thin, with my Portuguese nickname meaning "tall and skinny".

I can also do neat tricks like body triangle during rear mount, and I'm getting really good at returning to half guard from being sidemounted. Before I had a good guard, I usually found it getting passed to side control, so I have been using my long legs to grab theirs and pull them into half guard.

Here's a story that illustrates what kind of stuff I can get away with due to my length:

I was sparring with another white belt when a blue belt comes walking around us making a "WTF?" face. From one side it looks like I'm on the bottom with guard, since I'm still pretty much face to face with the guy. Walking around the other side, the blue belt says "Wha'? You're rear mounted!?" I had actually scooted my hips out and around enough to put both rear hooks in before I even had my upper body follow. I've been creeping people out lately by managing to get my rear hooks in from weird positions.

Because of my low weight I usually find myself on the bottom (I get bowled over), which works fine since I usually just end up playing guard anyway. Despite guard being my main game, I actually like the top game -- I'm just not very good at it. I try not to just blantantly pull guard, and try for top positions first, but I usually find myself on the bottom anyway. I am trying to work on my open guard, but I can get away with a lot in closed guard because of my long limbs. Besides my long legs, I've had people complain about my long arms, because they feel like they can't ever pull out enough to escape my grip on their lapels, neck, arms, etc.

As for guard preference and body type, I've found that tall people like me do a lot of closed and spider guard stuff, while short or rounder people go work from butterfly and lower open guards.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 1:45pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing that has helped my guard game is drilling transitions between guards. Here's an informal breakdown of how I operate, with regards to guards, to give you an idea of what I mean:

1. When someone is passing my closed guard and I feel my ankle uncrossing and I get that "Oh no!" feeling, I drop to spider guard.

2. When I'm in spider guard and I feel my foot coming off his hip, I go "Oh no!" and switch to De la Riva.

3. From De la Riva, if I feel them passing this, I can usually end up in half guard, even if I get side mounted first.

4. From half guard, I am pretty good at getting to butterfly, full guard or rear mount.

5. If I get to butterfly, I suck, so I usually end up going back to closed guard.

Of course, there are many more options than these. The above is just what I use a lot of the time, and I wanted to use it to illustrate that one of the successful actions I've taken is practicing and using transitions between multiple guards.

Ideally, at all these different guards I'd be going for sweeps or submission instead of just resorting to another guard, but this was just to explain what I do when a certain guard is failing despite my best wishes.

I will say that I really surprised a purple belt by dropping to De la Riva and going for a sweep I don't think he'd ever seen make its way into sparring before. It was my turn to make someone pull an "Oh no!" face.

I also have had a lot of success from the half guard. Maybe people are just nice to me because I'm new, but I've been making a lot of blue belts go "WTF!" by going from side mount to half guard to rear mount.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 9/13/2004 1:48pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 2:28pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by omega
    You're new nickname will be Javelin and in this case you should have no problem with the previous recommendations, my recommendation was for the more stalky cool guys like myself.
    Haha, cool beans. I know what you're talking about though. There's a blue belt that has taken it upon himself to help me and my sister as white belts, and he's probably about 5'2". His nickname is Anão, which means "dwarf". He was one of the guys that was cheering me on when I was doing those long range armbars. Afterwards he said he wants to see me taking advantage of my long reach. I said "You're living vicariously through me, aren't you." He said, "No, through your legs."

I like to watch the "short guy" open guard fights because I think they have some of the coolest stuff going on, and they seem to be a lot faster than anyone else. Most of the top people at my school use the "short guy" game extensively.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA (and others)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I, for example, like to play the weave game with a low guard and scooting side to side so I can get standing or pull a suprise elevator sweep as a counter to a second drive. I'll even force a higher guard pass so I can possibly create a small hole and come out the other side."-omega

cool, I like to switch my guard up as well. If The guy is fast, I'll play more open/spider. Strong, I'll opt for more of a switch/sweeping movement.
    You shoot for the feet huh? Spin them out from the high guard and go for the kneebar/heelhook/figure 4. Good moves. Tough to counter too, thanks, have to keep that in mind.
    [A friend once told me he found Jennifer Connelly hot.
    "Would she still be hot if she were melting in a car wreck, like at the end of Pollock, smelling of burnt hair and bubbling intestines?" I asked.
    "Oh hell yeah."
    "How? How would you even have sex with her?"
    "Just let her cool and fold her over, like an omolette."
    Since then we've always had this universal sign for Jennifer Connelly, it's like an "opening a book" motion, only backwards. And we are often known to softly remark "....like an omolette".]--boyd

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw this mentioned briefly in a previous post and it’s definitely worth practicing as a different philosophy or as another tool to add to your game. I weigh only 140 pounds on a good day and for years I always found myself in the guard. My problem was a bit different than yours however in that my guard game was excellent but my top positioning was lagging big time. I started training with a different instructor who immediately saw my weakness and just told me when you get put in the guard for the next month all I want you to do is to simply open your guard, momentarily get decent control of your opponent, then kick away and either go to your knees and fight or stand up in base and fight. Once you’ve done this you can work again for a more dominant position, switch to different tactics or leave the scene if you have too (which really worked good for me once in a street fight when I heard the five-oh sirens coming). This really forced me to improve my other skills and nothing says WTF as much as when you kick away, go to your knees or a modified crouching position and begin dropping knees to their head and torso when they try to rise up or come after you. (Obviously that falls more under the realm of cross training which may not be an option in pure bjj training but in a real fight or a MMA match...). Sounds silly but try it.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 9:13am

Style: Total Martial Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience it is better for bigger guys to use a "lower" type guard. The main thing i see with bigger guys is their stiff movement. Most of this comes not from their size but they try to do everything with their back on the mat. They need to work on moving their backs off the mat and using their hips. I train with a guy who is 6'3" or so and like 240 and he moves like a 150 pounder on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2004 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to add my thanks too. This thread has helped my game the most out of all that I've read so far. Tonight I was kinda dominating a guy with like 5 years' jujitsu experience (at a McDojo, mind you) mainly by moving my hips around and keeping him off-balance in my guard. This thread has gotten me constantly thinking about jiu jitsu, in a whole new way, this past 24 hours. ^_^
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast