Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2004 9:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can testify to the above plan by mikus. I got that drill out of Renzo Gracie's book and have been doing it at home. You'll feel like a dork at first because without your hands, your guard will get passed really fast during the drill. But you'll get the hang of it eventually, and it will really show in sparring when you can control someone with your lower body independently from my upper body. It has really helped my hip movement and the use of my legs.

And here is a term my instructor uses for people who get good at stuff like this:

MONKEY FEET (said with a Brazilian accent)

Chanting it will help you at the drill. I promise.

Posted On:
    8/27/2004 11:35am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah and don't use the closed guard to prevent their pass while doing this drill. That defeats the whole point of it and does nothing but make you look like an idiot.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    8/27/2004 12:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you have your attacker in your guard, you need to put your left hand under his chin and push back, exposing his chest, then, you summon your chi into your right palm, onves you feel the distinct tingling sensation of chi enudating your right hand, you thrust it in a 45 deg angle at the point just under the left nipple of your attacker, thus crushing his 5th and 6th ribs, then you elbow him in the exact same place, sending the broken shards of bone into his heart cavity, causing his heart to explode.
    Don't forget to exhale.
    This technqiues is know as "jut hara" in japanese and "tigers death palm" in chinese.
    It must, obvioulsly, be used only as a last resort, the MA are not games.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2004 7:34pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to thank everyone in this thread. It made me think about my guard, and with the recommendations you guys gave, I had one of my best nights of sparring ever. Not to pick favors, but Boogyman's words "MOVE YOUR HIPS!!!" was ringing in my head the whole night, and it helped me the most. Moving side to side really helped stay at good angles of attack, and especially helped me setup a bunch of hip-heist sweep attempts, which would become guillotines or kimuras if they resisted.

So, again, thanks everybody!

PS: I tried the "tigers death palm" but all I ended up doing is getting my hand stuck in their pants. Don't ask how; I don't know.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/27/2004 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more advanced guard guys (in non MMA anyways) sit up alot.When they open guard they do not stay flat.They use butterfly, half butterfly, rubber guard...the one where a foot is on the hip/upper thigh and that knee is in front of his shoulder.
    There are good guard guys who use mostly close guard, these guys got long legs and SQUEEZE you, then try and climb you like a ladder to what is now called rubber guard.
    Guys with shorter legs tend to use butterfly more looking to unbalance and sweep.

When I am struggling in a position I spend alot of time using it when facing lesser skilled guys.
    If there is a guy in class you can sweep and submit, dont.
    Sweep, mount, role back over.
    Guard attacks arent like keylocks from mount or side, they gotta be fluid, flexible... And if you don't see a sub don't go for one.Get better position.
    That is to say get your legs around his upper chest, get off to one side, or look for butterfly guard and overhooks.
    We can't see you grapple, so unfortunatly specific advice ain't easy to give.

Posted On:
    8/28/2004 5:51am

Style: Im a Lover, not a fighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Move Move Move. Move your hips, use your arms, set your hooks. Dont be afraid to open the guard and switch things around, thats what I do. I HATE closed guard. I will go to open guard and sweep and submit all over, and if you start to pass on me, Im getting to my knees and fighting from there, this makes it tough for my opponent to get anything better than half guard.

You want your guard to get much better? Listen closely, this has helped my game jump more in a month than it had in 6 months prior. For the next MONTH, dont try any submissions from guard, none. Work your sweeps from open guard. People will pass, MANY times, over and over they will pass. Who cares, its training for a reason. Get your guard back, and open it, and work your sweeps. Nothing but sweeps, one month. You cant sweep someone from being flat on your back, and you cant stumble into a sweep like you can a submission, you have to move them, not just yourself.

Trust me on this, have a little faith: For the next month, in open grappling, you work nothing but sweeps from guard. As soon as you sweep them, pull them back into your guard, forget about keeping the good position, forget about trying to finish with a submission. Put them back in your guard.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    8/28/2004 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Aesopian

PS: I tried the "tigers death palm" but all I ended up doing is getting my hand stuck in their pants. Don't ask how; I don't know.
    Your chi is obviously weak.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2004 10:04am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dark Majique
    I feel pretty stupid but where exactly does it (omoplata) hurt?
    I was rereading this thread and didn't see anyone answer this question.

It's a shoulder lock. Grapplearts.com gives a good explanation of it and its history:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Omo-Plata-Article.htm
    Last edited by Aesopian; 9/13/2004 9:30am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 10:22am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to thank everyone again for this thread. It has helped me gratuitously improve my guard, and if my suspicions are correct, may have gotten me a blue belt in the near future. My instructor watched me spar with a visiting blue belt from another school and kept making comments about how active I was in the guard. At one point the guy stopped and made a comment about how exhausted he was in my guard. A couple blue belts watching kept cheering as I went after armbars from way outside. Afterwards the blue belt went and sat next to my dad to cool off and made a comment like "That kid's gonna be dangerous. His armbars can come from a mile away." All last week a lot of people have been telling me "You got really good all of the sudden."

One thing I have going for me are really long, thin legs, so people have to go to much greater lengths (pun intended?) to uncross my ankles. People have a lot of trouble with standing passes or those annoying "knee up the ass" passes since I can usually keep my ankles together while scooting my hips all over the place. These legs are also how I can get away with armbars from way outside. I've also had a lot of success returning to half-guard from being on the bottom of north-south. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Anyway, here's some of my basic info to add to this thread:

Aeso's Stupidly Simple Strategy: This is nothing revolutionary, but it's pissed off all the blue belts I spar with so it's solid gold in my book. Let's say you have someone in your closed guard and have control of an arm. As he is rising from his knees to standing (for a standing guard pass), but before he can secure his balance, cross his arm over (so his hands are both on one side) and explosively yank him down and forwards with your legs. I do it like I want to land him above my head. I'm not super genius yet, so I don't have any specific follow-up for this, but it leaves the person so off-balance and out of posture that I've had success escaping my hips and getting rear mount, or attacking their extended arms with kimuras, all sort of armbars, etc. If anything it'll make someone curse your guard (as they do mine).

Nothing mind-blowing, but it works for me.

Can someone tell me a bit about the high guard? I've seen it referred to on different sites, and I've gathered that it's just a closed guard that's high on the shoulders. It's made out to be some advanced strategy, so I ask what so special about it?
    Last edited by Aesopian; 9/13/2004 10:28am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Aesopian
    Can someone tell me a bit about the high guard? I've seen it referred to on different sites, and I've gathered that it's just a closed guard that's high on the shoulders. It's made out to be some advanced strategy, so I ask what so special about it?
    I am no expert in BJJ but I would imagine the higher your guard is, the easier it is to transfer to a triangle. That is the only advantage I can see of the high guard.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast