Posted On:
    8/26/2004 12:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by brandeissansoo
    Start:

Make the opponent put one hand on theground, grab it and kimura the arm. If they defend, go to the guillotine. If they pull their head out, keep the arm and hip bump
    YESS!!!! exactly what I wanted. I just didn't know I wanted it until I saw it. Can you explain the hip bump better. Is that a term for a type of pass or rolll?

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    Ok that's a good thing to focus on. I do this a lot that's what I meant by "pretty good defense". What do I need to do to make things happen from here? I feel like I run out of space to do much and end up supporting all my opponents weight.
    Well, once you have them that far forward, you can usually afford to pull open a leg and try to sweep them into mount. Make sure you have the same side arm pinned to prevent a pass.

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    YESS!!!! exactly what I wanted. I just didn't know I wanted it until I saw it. Can you explain the hip bump better. Is that a term for a type of pass or rolll?
    so basically you have his arm with your arm (his right with your right ) Post with the other arm behind you, and bump him with your hips, so essentially you'll be sweeping into the mounted position. You can easily combine those three in any kind of sequence.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Brand said, I too have a list of things I run through from the guard.

One day I actually wrote down all the attacks I know from guard and then took that list and broke out the 5 or so techniques I can usually pull off. When I'm in the guard I'll run through that list in my head and try them in a big chain. If you do this you'll eventually land one of the submissions. It's just a matter of time. For example:

1) Forearm Choke
    2) Armbar
    3) Triangle
    4) Reverse Armbar (get their arm on you shoulder, hold with head, apply pressure to their elbow)
    5) Kimura
    6) Oma plata

If you are in the guard and you are controlling their arms and keeping them from escaping you can just keep working the list over and over again. Keep it simple.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 12:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a basic strategy that I've picked up from reading these and other forums that has been working well for me. I'm just a newb so this won't be mind blowing for anyone, but without this my guard was rather dead, and I just felt like I was hanging on until they passed. This strategy was simply this:

Keep moving.

As simple as it may seem, I had to drill myself to stay busy in the guard. At first I would just close guard and hold on for dear life. Now I'm always trying to off-balance, trap an arm, hook a leg, yank their head around, make them plant an arm, setting up a sweep, etc.

I imagine that once I'm actually skilled (since I'm just a noob now) that this will develop into something more refined like:

Always work towards an known goal (attack, sweep, escape, etc.) but move on to another freely.

I've observed that black belts do this very well. They do attack X and it fails, so they follow it with attack Y, which the person scambles out of, so they attempt sweep Z, which is barely escaped, but then they do attack X again which succeeds this time because the person was overwhelmed having to defend against everything that preceded it.

This is what katana is talking about above.

Another thing that has helped is learning some open guard stuff like spider and De la Riva, so that if my closed guard gets opened, I still have other guards and their sweeps and attacks to move into.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 8/26/2004 12:50pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 12:57pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by omega
    That's not a Kimura......*ducks....
    What about this? http://grapplearts.com/Kimura-Technique-1.htm

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realise that is the samething, and that Omega was just being bitchy in his old age ?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course you can always just stab him in the neck from the guard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 1:42pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    You realise that is the samething, and that Omega was just being bitchy in his old age ?
    Yeah, but it was a cheap excuse for me to post again.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast