Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 9:07am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you have both ankles locked around his head and one arm, and all that is really keeping him safe is his elbow and one hand gripping your pants? And you have both hands relatively free? My simple white belt thinking says "USE THE TWO HANDS TO DEFEAT THE ONE" and break the grip and pull the arm so they can't use their elbow any more, then continue with the triangle.

Here's another option to play with. The technique below actually counters the exact defence you are talking about (see step 5):

Triangle choke from closed guard to wrist and shoulder lock (as demonstrated by hot chicks)

As for avoiding this situation in the first place, you need to be in control of their inside arm throught much of the setup to keep them from doing this, or pulling it out.

Also consider switching to an omoplatas and armbars if he defends the triangle too heavily.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/26/2004 9:10am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 9:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great link! that is exactly the blocking technique I am talking about. The "posturing up" is probably even more important than the hand placement. Maybe I need to attack their posture more? hmmmm

Pretty sure I can't use that technique though because our coach discourages wrist locks in practice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 9:40am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, your opponent's posture is the first target you want to attack. I can tell you generally, breaking somone's poster in any position is a great way to start almost every submission, sweep or advance. Check out this post again:

http://bullshido.net/forums/showthre...=15#post443062

Make sure you're are using your legs in addition to your arms to pull them down and break posture during the triangle. Cross the arm, bend their back, pull their head.

Also, buy The Triangle already. I'm just repeating stuff out of there, really. Go here and click "Buy now":

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...=18644&cat=&pa
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/26/2004 9:46am at .

Chemist

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to make it NOT a wrist lock just grab higher on the wrist away from the hand like an ude garami and it should still give you the leverage to break the hand free
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 10:10am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Following TNK's advice, you should also still have a mean shoulder lock. My instructor had a triangle to omoplata to triangle to shoulder lock combo that ended with that.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 10:21am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah at this point I'm pretty sure I was distracted by the arm and ended up not breaking their posture.

I am ordering "The Triangle" btw! FINALLY ;)

Posted On:
    10/26/2004 12:55pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do that if it's giving you problems, but to be honest, I don't even think you need to. I finish people when they're in that position all the time. There is little stopping you from adjusting. You just gotta get perpendicular.

Now, if they do that and ALSO lean down onto that same leg, putting weight on that leg trying to triangle them, then you're gonna have a lot of trouble getting the correct angle. In that case, lock the triangle as deep as you can so they can't get out. Then, resist a little like you want to pull them back and keep them from dropping down on that side. When they drive down a little harder, basically turn onto the side of your body that is being pushed down, and do a push up. You should end up mounted on top of them with the triangle. You can either finish from there or roll over back to guard and try finishing it again. If you can't get them over when doing the pushup, this probably means that they drove back to your other side, in which case you adjust and finish the triangle normally.

Also, don't forget the armbar when they drive down like that.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 1:57pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Yeah at this point I'm pretty sure I was distracted by the arm and ended up not breaking their posture.

I am ordering "The Triangle" btw! FINALLY ;)
    There are a bunch of drills in that book and DVD that you and TNK should do at the next Throwdown. That book will also get you seeing the triangle from EVERYWHERE.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 2:05pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good info...

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 1:25am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am surprised no one has ttted this thread yet.

TTT!!!

edit: sorry, I just really love this thread.
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast