is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weak Ankles?

Last night, during a foot chase, I rolled my ankle on a dip in the sidewalk. I've previously badly rolled each of my ankles (almost 90 degree bend with full bodyweight on it) that resulted in an aircast and crutches.

I've been told that once you roll and ankle bad enough, it permanently stretches the tendons/ligaments resulting in weak ankles. Is this true?

Also, I've been getting conflicting advice on footwear. Some say to wear 8" boots for added ankle support. Others say wear low-top oxfords because the boots are just a crutch (like a lifter's belt) and my ankles will get stronger in low-tops. Which of those is right? Both?

Also, any exercises beyond calf raises and toe lifts that will help?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From one law enforcement officer to another, these have never failed me

http://www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=1655

They're a bit pricey, but they're worth every penny.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Weak Ankles?

Originally posted by Ka-Bar
    Last night, during a foot chase, I rolled my ankle on a dip in the sidewalk.
    Ooo, looks like there is going to be a few things said on the VIS to that failure to comply.

If it is sprained or strained, brace it for stability until it heals. I ave also heard that wearing high support shoes or boots make you weak. Go with low tops.

As far as exercises, ask a physical therapist. I would think swimming might be beneficial. Good luck with that injury.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    From one law enforcement officer to another, these have never failed me

http://www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=1655

They're a bit pricey, but they're worth every penny.
    Mmmmm...Danner...

Yeah, if there's one thing that I've never cheaped out on, it's quality footwear, uniforms or equipment. Personally, I've always worn Bates (even in the military) because they feel less like a boot and more like a tennis shoe, but if a physical therapist told me to go with high top boots, Danner, here I come.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 1:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Re: Weak Ankles?

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
    Ooo, looks like there is going to be a few things said on the VIS to that failure to comply.

If it is sprained or strained, brace it for stability until it heals. I ave also heard that wearing high support shoes or boots make you weak. Go with low tops.

As far as exercises, ask a physical therapist. I would think swimming might be beneficial. Good luck with that injury.
    Damn straight. It was just a little inward roll. It's certainly not sprained, and probably not even strained, but the doc's having me ice it and stay off it for a while. Good thing I'm not working tonight. Still caught the fucker, too.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Ka-Bar
    Mmmmm...Danner...

Yeah, if there's one thing that I've never cheaped out on, it's quality footwear, uniforms or equipment. Personally, I've always worn Bates (even in the military) because they feel less like a boot and more like a tennis shoe, but if a physical therapist told me to go with high top boots, Danner, here I come.
    Excellent choice.

Personally, those boots I posted, the Acadias, are the one's I'd go with. Gore Tex, Vibram soles, awesome ankle support...but you probably might wanna go with the 200 gram insulation, given that you're south of the border where it's less cold.

I used to try out other boots like SWAT Originals or Magnums, but I'll never go back to them. They're garbage compared to Danners.

The only advantage they have is that, like a tennis shoe, they're lightweight, making them optimal for Tactical teams. But, unfortunately, they last about as long as a tennis shoe too.

Danners aren't that much heavier than those are anyway.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had problems with a rolled ankle. When it happened, I was usually able to trace the problem back to the wear of my shoes. Check the wear on the bottoms of your shoes. If the wear is uneven, if the heel is no longer flat, then those shoes will probably cause your ankles to roll again. If you see an uneven wear, you need to throw those shoes out, or at least get them resoled. And that's how I end up selecting/keeping my shoes. The wear on the bottoms of the heels is often more important than the leather tops.

Good luck!

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've rolled my right ankle a few times... It actually takes me longer to tap to heel hooks and toeholds. But I was also pidgeon-toed as a child. I'm not sure if that helps at all... but there it is!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 2:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah, damn orthopedist told me I was pigeon-toed and that was a major contributor to the problem, so I've got some orthotic insoles to try out.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2004 9:09am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I badly sprained my right ankle in high school. It took quite a while to heal, and has always seemed a bit weaker than the other one. In adition to the calf raises and toe lifts, when you're just hanging around the house, go barefoot and walk on your toes a lot like when you were a kid. Ice skating is great to stregthen your ankles. Also balance kicks - standing on one foot while kicking repeatedly with the other foot, without putting it down.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast