Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2004 3:26pm

Style: JKD / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I participated for a few years in a renaisance festival out here, in combat chess, and we'd practice at the local college on the green. The local OYD kids would come out there as well and practice. We tried multiple times to get them to spar with us, to little avail. You have to love anyone who says "I won't spar with you because I'll kill you".

I have to say though, just from watching the style, wow. Horse stances being used while facing the opponent, a bunch of forms involving standing on 1 foot the whole time.... How can this be effective? I don't like to knock other people's arts, but WOW. I'd pay the admission to get some of these kids into a MMA tournament so they could see exactly how bad the stuff they are being taught is.

Posted On:
    9/25/2004 6:58am

Style: luk chua bik da

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by M.C. Busman
    Odd thing about CMD though, the way the top level honchos hide out. I don't know of too many m.a. organizations that combine the $tructured moneymaking approach with stories of grandmaster doing such wierd supernatural things (flying off buildings, reading minds & the like). As recently as a few years ago--and possibly still--several of the highest ranked National Instructors lived in a house in La Jolla, one of the ritziest areas of San Diego. Perhaps they have a built-in gymnasium?
    I'm friends with one gentleman who studied directly under Kim at his home for many years. I've never heard tales of a gymnasium, and, in fact, the stories of Kim practicing did not involve any of the odder forms that the schools teach, but solely the tang soo doe type stuff, which, in the schools, are frowned at past beginner level. Kim did not know he was being watched when he practiced this, and it occured some weeks before he had to appear before students.

I'm glad you posted this stuff M.C., I was a bit burnt on the whole subject to do so. I think the martial silliness is the least of the problems that the organization had when I knew about them. It attracted a lot of unstable people, and made their lives a lot worse. The law and the former members on that site have severely limited their capacity to openly act in the way they did in the past.

Also, you're correct on how that site works- previously, the OYD people would not post on forums which required logins. So an earlier generation of that group formed that group, then refused to converse on any other forum, all while filling the group with court documents et al. The moderators can ban, etc. Originally, there was also a timeline of the schools.

You will find that there are OYD instructors posting on that site, but there are a set of fairly strict rules that they cannot break or they will be silently banned- the same rules apply to others on that board.

This is all I'll write on the board, this topic has been covered to death here and elsewhere. If anyone has a pressing need to understand the group better(family member in sort of need), feel free to PM me, it's important for those getting out to understand that they will tend to form or seek out substitute cults.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 11:36am

Style: mma, TAKEDOWNS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied oom young doe for 2 weeks.... Then I stopped going after they claimed I could be an instructor in 2-3 years. My head may get a little big at times, but...no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:55pm

Style: Various

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edward
    I went to the local school, had no exposure to them before, and caught the sifu teaching basic wrist locks to a couple of the students. He did it totally wrong, and it wasn't working, so one student was trying it different ways on the other student trying to make it work. They must have been pot heads or something, because it didn't even seem to occur to them that the Sifu didn't know what he was doing.

So after that the sifu comes out, and I'm asking him if he'll show me something, but he won't show me anything. So finally I ask him how long he studied, and he said 2 years.

2 years, and he's the head guy teaching the class.

Oh, and the place smelled RANCID. Really bad.
    Like a guy I had learned about. He went around to various schools for 5 years. Obtained a black belt, which stated as a Assistant Instructor whom cannot rank black belts on the certifcate. Which he caught me reading that small detail and "pulled" me away by using a distraction. he had the so-called black belt for only one year. And now he calls himself a sensei and created his own style. All within 6 years!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 3:35am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CMQ

Quote Originally Posted by TheManchu
    I'm friends with one gentleman who studied directly under Kim at his home for many years.
    Do you know how old John C Kim is and his current present where-abouts?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callmetrinity
    Like a guy I had learned about. He went around to various schools for 5 years. Obtained a black belt, which stated as a Assistant Instructor whom cannot rank black belts on the certifcate. Which he caught me reading that small detail and "pulled" me away by using a distraction. he had the so-called black belt for only one year. And now he calls himself a sensei and created his own style. All within 6 years!
    Name names/schools
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Name names/schools
    www.reddragondojo.com/bio.html

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks

"Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2004 12:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whats with the 12345...

wait, the forum requested 10 or more charecters-something like that?

so what do you think patfromlogan about the "creator"?

did you visit the site?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wooo, i was in seattle a couple of days ago and i finally saw one of these places. drove by it at about 11pm. it was thoroughly entertaining. the end
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast