The return of pankration is upon us!

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    8/22/2004 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. Just make this one all-out-war. All non-dismembering moves legal (assuming they'll both take that). However, they both would need to be earning some SERIOUS cash, regardless of the outcome, to make this worthwhile. It's not likely, but with this much on the line, one of them could very well have their career ended.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 12:40am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couture is 41 years old he might as well fight one big last fight. I could see him just all out ditching UFC and jumping ship to pride for bigger $$$.

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva is supposed to be a BJJ black belt but I haven't seen him do much more than attempt a triangle on Yoshida and RNC some guy in his hilight reel. Mostly he just does Kouchi Gari and pounds the guy from inside his guard, from Tamura to CroCop. If Silva can grapple as well as that black belt means he should be able to, then he's going to rock Randy. I'm calling it right now.

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 6:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    Silva is supposed to be a BJJ black belt but I haven't seen him do much more than attempt a triangle on Yoshida and RNC some guy in his hilight reel. Mostly he just does Kouchi Gari and pounds the guy from inside his guard, from Tamura to CroCop. If Silva can grapple as well as that black belt means he should be able to, then he's going to rock Randy. I'm calling it right now.
    Ahhh, doesn't Vitor have a BJJ blalk belt? That will only be helpful if Wandy can keep his back off the cage (if they fight in an octegon).

Here's the call: Under Pride rules Wandy wins, under UFC rules Randy wins.
    Last edited by punchingdummy; 8/23/2004 10:54am at .

game dog

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > I would be courting for a ring as well since Couture in
    > the Octagon is about as exciting as watching bamboo grow.
    LOL!
    It think it's more like watching a city getting consumed by a stream of lava. Not really surprising, but still impressive.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 7:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vitor has a BJJ black belt, and look how well he did. Also, there has been some controversy over Wandy's BB because it was given to him for Value Tudo matches instead of BJJ tournys. Especially considering he generally uses stand up in those, it's very questionable.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it mainly questionable because of infighting and politics. How many bjj blackbelts are going to challenge the belt's legitimacy? What is his ability grappling? How many people can get clean subs consistently these days, with the defenses most top level guys have?

****. Hermes Franco, a BTT black belt, didn't get **** in the way of subs in his one UFC fight I saw either. What's that say about his belt's legitimacy.

Here's a question: should you get a bjj black belt if you can't/ haven't compete mma?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like to see this fight, but like other people I'm not sure it's ever going to happen. First of all, let's not forget that Silva has to beat Rampage in Oct., which I don't think is going to be easy. Randy would also likely fight Chuck before then too. Given their last fight, I don't think Chuck has as good of a shot of beating Courture as Jackson does Silva, but who knows? The Iceman's been on a roll latley. And besides even if both Chuck and Jackson win, they can still have the Pride vs UFC fight, having a rematch of their middle weight tournament bout.

Teasing a UFC vs Pride, Champion vs Champion, and not following through, doesn't make a whole lot of business sense, especially if you're UFC. Most Americans have never heard of Pride, or Silva, and could care less so you're not really going to get any more fans. If this thing never happens, it will only piss of the MMA fans they do have.

I will say the 205 weight class has a lot of cool possibilites. If Vitor retained his title, I still think UFC vs. Pride thing would have happened, and that they would play up Vitor's win over Silva in UFC Brazil and . What I see now is Tito destroying Guy Mezger, then fighting Vitor, with the winner taking on the winner of Randy and Chuck.

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    What I see now is Tito destroying Guy Mezger, then fighting Vitor, with the winner taking on the winner of Randy and Chuck.
    Yup.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast