Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    8/03/2002 3:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm?

McDojo, is it what you do or is it what you think?
    I am the biggest fucking wanker on the internet - Proven fact.
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/03/2002 6:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you just read people's profiles. Click on their name over at the left.
    <----
    That would be the "honest" way to get the information you are asking. What you are doing is asking someone to step forward so you can make fun of them - you are trying to start trouble. Nobody seems to be falling for it but me..

Anyway, I will be 31 in September and I have trained in the martial arts since 1982. I guess that makes 20 years. As for my school of thought: I don't want to claim a particular one. I was cross-training before that was a popular "MMA" thing to do. I guess I got it from reading the Tao of JKD or maybe I was inspired by mixed TMA like Ninpo Taijutsu, Jujutsu, pankration and Hapkido. Maybe I just wanted to learn all I could about martial arts.

Anyway, I'm not going to list what I studied for you. I'm tired of jumping through hoops to prove myself to online people. If you want to see if I am knowledgable then instead of asking for my rank or school - ask me about a certain situation or technique. Ask me something that requires me to demonstrate what I know.

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    8/03/2002 7:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is this such a big burden? You studied 20 years, me too. Nobody fills out their profiles, a very few anyway. I'd like to know, more or less, who I'm argueing with. I can't stand it when I figure out after a lengthy thread that I was argueing with a 15 year old with delusions of grandure. I don't care what style you come from or anything of that nature. I want to know that the guy that is here specifically to diss martial arts has some experience other than his video rental card.

4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/04/2002 5:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really understand what you are asking. I was saying that "knifer" should have read a few profiles or just asked individuals what they studied - rather than ask the whole community to list their stats for him so he could get ammo to make fun of them with - which is now quite obviously what he was planning.

Anyway, its not a burden. I'd just much rather distinguish myself by offering opinions that make sense than listing my credits.

You are right, I guess. Its no big deal. I just get tired of needing to explain things because my training was unconventional. I don't hold any official ranks so I can't just make a list like most of the rest of you.

5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/05/2002 3:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, here is a summary of my own personal martial arts journey. :P

After watching too much Kung fu Theather as a little kid, one day I borrowed a book from the school library that contained all the Karate kata up to Black Belt and the simple breakdowns. It was written by a hairy guy named Daniels if I remember right. I practiced all the moves and started running around chopping my friends.

Then in 1982 I began studying Japanese Ninpo/Taijutsu techniques from books and articles. I wasn't interested in any of the local dojos I visited because they were pretty hokey. Point sparring looked like a weak drill to me and the kata weren't explained in much depth. Honestly, I had a natural talent for picking up technique and I didn't see why I should pay a guy a bunch of money so I could do something I was already good at.

I started a sparring club on my own with a few of my friends who were taking TKD and Hapkido. It was half playing sometimes but we did a lot of real sparring. It was creative and innovative stuff. It was also fun.

I really got into the physical training a lot when I was by myself. I am a little obsessive/compulsive and I loved the martial arts so I would train every day, sometimes even 5 to 8 hours a day in the summer. I once lost 10 pounds in a single day of training. I built my own obstacle courses and ran laps on them. I did situps hanging from a tree limb. I ran hurdles, rode my bike and I did a lot of climbing. I was naturally agile and limber. I also had a 135 IQ by the 10th grade so I wasn't just your average kid doing this, I guess.

I set up tomato cages and worked out choreography using them as markers. I'd think about their positions and what I could do and what their potential responses could be and how I'd counter them. I would then practice what I came up with on my friends. I also spent hours upon hours shadow-boxing and sparring with imaginary attackers. (Muhamed Ali, Bruce Lee and Dan Gable did this as well, so don't give me crap about it) Sometimes it was slow and well-thought out, other times it was in short bursts with breaks to examine what was developing and other times still it was all-out full-speed choreography. I would take what I learned and use it in sparring with my friends.

I began deconstructing basic moves that I learned from Taijutsu, Kung Fu, TKD and Karate and started to build my own version of the martial arts. No really good schools were available in my area at the time except for one rather prominant "Black Belt Academy" that I had no interest in attending. I took inspiration from Massaki Hatsumi's concepts of fluidity and natural motion, Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kun Do, Musashi's Book of 5 Rings and Sun Tzu's The Art of War. All of which I would read again and again over the years.

After about 5 years of training like that I decided that I should seek out formal instruction. I did just that for the next 10 years. I went out for wrestling in high school my senior year (1989) even though I had a broken leg. (I just wanted to learn the techniques. I got to compete towards the end of the year. Two of my friends from the old sparring club competed as well. One of them who started as a freshman made State champ, NCAA 2nd team All-American and now coaches wrestling - he's challenged Jujutsu instructors and won repeatedly) We didn't have a wrestling program at ISU so I attended the Hapkido club at, various martial arts clubs around town and visited local schools now and then. I began corresponding with people who represented different systems both here and over the Internet. I learned Shotokhan Karate and Iaijutsu sword techniques from my friend Frank as I taught privately in his school. I read text books on Chin Na (Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming), Jujutsu, modern JKD, etc - and read countless articles by masters from around the world. I researched wrestling further, Greek pankration, Muay Thai and practiced boxing.

I have competed in kickboxing, wrestling and sparring. I've defended myself many times. I have won 27 fights in my life. Two times I have traded punches with no real outcome so I guess those were draws. Once when I was 15 a guy put his hands on my shoulders and when I looked down he hit me and knocked me down. I got up quick but the teacher came in and sent us to the dean before anything else happened. I guess that was a loss.

Last year a 6 foot 4 and 250# guy attacked me for telling his girlfriend's parents that he was hitting her again. I got him in a headlock then let him go. He came back so I countered his swings 8 seperate times with stop-kicks to the thigh while I tried to talk sense into him. The third time he came back I used some a finger lock to get him off of me when I slid in the grass. He then decided to leave. I managed to protect myself, my friend and her kids without even needing to harm a guy much bigger than myself. (I am 5 foot 11 and 175#)

Anyway, in the last 4 or 5 years I have been concentrating on college and work but also doing more research and developement. I've made my own personal system that I call 9 Chamber Ko Ashi. I am writing a detailed book about it for my personal use and I hope to teach it to my kids someday. I don't have rank so I can't have a real dojo. I have had private students and training partners over the years. I am thinking about going to a local BJJ and JKD school just so I can compete again once I get full-time employment. I will graduate with my second degree from college this month and be making twice what I was as a packer. The martial arts for me are just something I love. It was never about rank, being a tough guy or status. I do it for me and I don't share it with too many in my social life. Its not about status or glory.

There you go, I am not some 10th Dan master of this or that but I know the human body, kenetics, anatomy and I have talent. I am fast more than strong but I'm strong enough. I can grapple, box and kick as good as anyone I've seen - and I have seen a lot. I don't care if you believe in me or think I am a joke. I don't get ticked off too easy. I'm cool about things. I know myself.

That is what its all about for me. The martial arts are supposed to be an individual expression and not some institution you cram yourself into. It would be nice to be able to make money at what I love but I never could bring myself to pay a bunch of money just to have a rank when I already have skill and knowledge that I consider more valuable than what I could learn at some half-baked dojo. Don't get me wrong, if Joe Lewis or Frank Shamrock had a school here then I'd be there. There are only two decent instructors in town. The one at the college went through Navy Seals training and has belts in at least 5 arts. The one at that BJJ/JKD school trained under Vunak. I might get involved with them once I have the cash.

I am 31 now so don't ask me if I think I should test my skills in the UFC. That stuff is for young guys who want to be bad-asses or guys promoting their school. I might try out for the Olympic pankration team sometime - that might be cool. I don't know, it depends on how other parts of my life go. I am mostly trying to get work, romance and everything else worked out right now.

Anyway, there is no easy, short way to convey all of this - that's why I don't like to go into what I've studied. I just say I am freestyle or unconventional. that doesn't really tell people much though. Anyway, now you know. hope you are happy. :P

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    8/05/2002 4:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't do things half way, do you?
    Age and length of experience would have done fine.

Anybody else, it seems the only ones answering are the ones with something to say.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 2:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: oom yung doe

Hell yeah! Hell no!

oom yung doe daughter!!!!!

I am an ex instructor. I am connected to ex and current instructors. check out this version jennellekimdotcom. its the daughter of the excon grandmaster

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    11 years spamming a thread with a link that does not work.

can you provide a link that does work?

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 8:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who trains tradtional martial arts anymore ??? :)

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sy1980 View Post
    Who trains tradtional martial arts anymore ??? :)
    The guys who posted just before and after you do.

Great way to start. Why don't you go post an intro in Newbietown, then lurk more and troll less.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast