Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 9:00pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

grip training

Okay, in addition to lifting, running, etc., how many of you all have dedicated grip training as part of your regimen? Not the weak-ass sporting goods store grippers either, I mean stuff like thick bar training, pinch gripping, Ironmind grippers, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell yeah dude, screw that weak-sauce ****, I squeeze a bag of rocks every morning then practice my eagle claw technique on a medieval helmet.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally practise my grip/wrist exercises once or twice a day.

Usually in the mornings or evenings are the best, it takes up alot of kleenex and 'chi'

:D

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 9:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sticky palm technique
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    careful, I don't want to release the 'hairy palm' unless its a life or death situation

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    8/21/2004 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, yeah man you guys are dedicated to the craft. I don't get to train "grip strength" all that much anymore :p

Anyway, while I've seen many grip training exercises, I don't know how well any of those work, so the best comment I can make is, my brother was doing some strength training in general, and the guy he was working out with was all about pushing serious weight. His whole deal was, instead of doing dedicaed forearm exercises, just don't use any gloves, straps or other lifting aid, and force your grip to keep up with the amout of weight you're pulling.

His grip strength improved drastically in the few months he was lifting. It was a noticable difference, because he always liked to grab the opponent's wrists as a control/distraction tactic, but after the lifting when he did it, people would leave themselves wide open because they focused so much on how hard he was gripping their arms (it hurt pretty good, but nothing bone-breaking).

I hear good things about pinch gripping, though. I haven't seen any results from anyone, but I hear it suggested alot for grip strength.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2004 1:09am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well jeez, I wasn't expecting jackoff references! How surprising on this board! ;)

Jaguar--
    Yeah, I stopped using straps long ago. Grip strength takes a BIG jump when you do that.

Pinch gripping is when the thumb directly comes into play. Like, say, when grabbing someone's arm, ankle or throat. Thumb's a weak link. Strengthen the weak link, get an overall stronger grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2004 2:33am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think you can use a thicker bar when you do dead lifts and stuff to help with your grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2004 10:00am

Style: brazilian jazz dance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know that excercise where you have a rod attached to a rope with a weight at the end? Then you hold the rod and roll up the rope? I'm pretty sure it's called a "wrist roller".

I use a modified version, where the rolling hand comes into your chest palm-up. This causes the ends of the rod to rotate 180 degrees back and forth. I easily got up to 30+ lbs after a few months, and the rod was rotating in my hands due to the amount of torque. This forces you to grip the rod very tightly so that the rope doesn't unravel. Be warned that this is hard on your hands, and you won't want to wear gloves because they will be too slippery.

You could also add speed training by holding the top of a flat weight with two hands, tossing it into the air, clapping underneath it, and then catching the top part of the weight.
    Last edited by citrus538; 8/21/2004 10:05am at .

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    8/21/2004 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't all bars pretty standard in thickness? Is there some type of add on for a thicker bar?

SGT Fitts,
    Yeah the two I see mentioned the most (from a CMA perspective) is to pinch to weight plates together (smooth side out) and try to hold them together when lifting, and also lifting a jar or coffee can full of sand, rocks, steel shot or anything you want to use to make it heavier. I know there are some weights that kung fu guys use for chin na (looks like a taller stone traffic cone or something like that). You grip it with your fingertips and lift and move it around and stuff.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast