Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No need Sam, thanks though. I'll find it here locally. I'll let you know what I gather from the contents.
    Rick

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 2:21pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I have been pretty critical of Bullshido lately, but threads like this are where Bullshido really shines.

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Saljutsa of course

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was any of this resolved. It is now July and I have just finished the book and found this thread.... Is Dom a fraud? I must know

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 12:22am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What did you think of his account in the book?

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 3:25am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some intelligent Googling indicates that the romanization for the Japanese MA is screwed up, so there's no telling what "kunto" stands for. This is apparent because his bios misspell what is obviously meant to be Kyokushinkai. In a BB interview he calls it "skyleko-kundokan" and says it's Kyokushin with Judo throws.

Actually, the article has several points that could be verified by research, such as:

* Trained at the Chakuriki Gym in Amsterdam when he was 13.

* Won the European Junior Muay Thai Championship in Antwerpen.

* Claims a 35-0 pro Muay Thai record between 92-94.

* Trained in the Samafit camp in Thailand after leaving the Foreign Legion (this would make him around 23 at the time).

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 1:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Saljutsa of course

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    What did you think of his account in the book?
    I found the book entertaining, and certainly motivational for continued MA training. The parts of the book that can be verified seemed real (the Foreign Legion parts, Africa, and some of the fights in Thailand.), the parts where nobody present is living or can be verified seem fake. In fact the whole book is entertaining because its written like a movie script. Coming soon to a theater near you.....

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 1:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkers
    Can somebody who has read The Iron Circle, please post a timeline of Mr. Vandnberg's accomplishments. According to an article I had read, he joined the Legion at 18 years old (approx 1987) and served for 5 years (approx 1992)

I served in the Legion from 1994-1999. Some of the claims he makes in articles that I have read sound inconsistent with the Legion that I know. With more details of his service, I can contact former legionnaires from 2Rep (where he claims to have served) of that era and find out for sure.

The only other way is to ask Mr. Vandenberg for his matricule # is (he'll know what it is) And with that number I can check to see if he did 5 days or 5 years. Just because you have this number doesn't mean you served, it means you showed up to serve. May things can happen between showing up and actually getting to a regiment.

Rick

Read closer:
    ' he was sent to start five months of basic training at Castle Naudary in Northern France. At the end of training of the sixty men that started, twenty four remained. Of the twenty four, five were selected for the Legions' top para-commando unit. Of the five they included were former members of the SAS, the SBS, an Israeli commando and Vandenberg.'

Isnt Castelnaudary near perpignon?!
    Thats in the south.

Yeah please contact guys from deuxieme, they LOVE wannabes! ;-)

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 1:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkers
    I will know when I see the pics. A lot of people go there for 6 months, get some pics and then take off. 5 years later, they have stories for all their friends about thier "5 years" in the Legion.

R
    Tell me about it, i'm in Holland and ive met at least two regiments of legionairs over the years.

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 1:43pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he had won any of those Muai Thai matches, we would have seen it in Black Belt. Any foreigner that did that at that time would have got a mention, as it was so rare back in those days to even train there. Let alone win a title- non Asians were getting crushed over in Thailand and this guy makes claims that would make Ramon Dekker blush.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 1:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kunto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To all who doubt Vandenberg, you are all WRONG and should be ashamed ! this guy was a legionair of the 2REP and served in many battles and yes, he won championships, I can confirm this, he even did prison for arriving late from holiday in the 2REP after winning in Thailand !

And if you think you can just 'do a bit time' in the REP and then leave like this wannebe told here, yeah right, the one who said that was a fool, there is no such thing as just leave the REP or the legion for that matter, you do your five years with honour or you are considered a deserteur and send to prison or shot if you carry weapons with you !

Vandenberg did 5 years and served with honor and pride in the elite parashoot regiment, a place where most of you can only dream of, if not, try Aubagne and try the normal selection of the legion, make no mistake, this is THE elite force of the globe, ask a marine or ranger what they stand for and ask if they trained in Corsica or even in the 3REI commando camp in the Selva of French Guinee, you will then hear the real answers if they know, they are the best there is and the reason is simple, they are pro soldiers from all over the world and they join and leave everything behind, family, friends, to do their training and fighting, MORE MAJORUM style !

GREEN BERET is the green beret of the legion, ask your green berets what it means, you will be surprised ... please don't humilliate the green beret again or dominiqui with these remarks, they are proven unlike most of you here and do some research about the green berets of the legion and the Kepi Blanc and what training is required and what you have to do to EARN it ...

Hope this clears out the stupid remarks I read about Dominiqui, he is a true warrior and you can start showing some respect and Gurka is the ART OF KNIVE fighting, the UK Ghurkas (mountain ppl) all know this and again, ask your soldiers what it means or do some better research instead of believing a wannebe on this forum.

And kunto, I won't even go there, stories about indochine and majors could only find stupid remarks here and no respect so find it out yourselff or ask Dominiqui and tell him he lies about the legion, you'll see what he has to say to you superb fighters on this forum.

Damn, you make me angry in reading these stupid remarks and the Belgian Army s*cks?? Some regiments do but ever heard about paracommando's ? they are SAS and very hard, their training is harder then a marine training, get the picture or you say that's crap to? do some studies, not every unit in Belgium is good but they are the best and they have SF to, not only jumping out of hot airballoons like this other lier told you because they are the only ones that do jump 1 balloon in schaffen near diest, they jump HALO, NIGHT, C130, ... they made many operational jumps etc he doesn't know a damn thing about them if yes, you are invited here in Belgium and I'll show you around some commando camps, you can see for yourselff or to the real warriors, they are in Afghanistan in kabul guarding the airport !

They also did operations with US pilots and SF like red and black beam, see if you internet warriors ever heard about that, there are books about their hardness, even in the US written by US soldiers ! learn about Somalia and Congo (where only 2REP and PARACOMMANDO jumped because it was to dangerous for the rest of the world), damn, get some education and facts straight or go ask some real armydudes, the ones who know the REALITY, not the bsht I read here.

Vive la legion !
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast