Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 1:52am

Style: Shorin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Similar, however I am not all that familiar with textbook American Kempo

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 1:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Figured you wouldn't want to hear it but...

Supposedly Ng Mui invented Wing Chun. I credit Ip Man with taking away a lot of the mystical nonsense (god knows what it was like before) and credit Chu Shong Tin with refining it further.

More than likely it was not invented by this nun but by a bunch of Shaolin Temple castaways who wanted to beat up on some folks.

BJJ urm... Rickson? :D
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

WHO'S THE MASTER

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: SHO'NUFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by JKing
    Kajukenbo, created by five seperate people, but in the end taught and spread by Adriano D. Emperado. His skill in full contact fighting, and producing effective fighters, was unmatched. Now that he doesn't teach, many people destroy what he started by teaching in McDojo fashion, however some schools still remain.
    its a shame.you should travel out here to cali and visit some of the O.G's.Al Reyes,Emil Batista,Mitch Powell,Charles Gaylord.you would love the old school style these guys are still rolling with.
    JOHN DOE
    Hmmm. I'll kill him. I'll kill him dead. Like with, with a, rock or something. Like a, like a stone.
    evil master betty

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 2:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've rolled with some Kajukenbo guys who were definitely products of a McDojo, didn't realize there was a legit background.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 2:23am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a bit of Kajukembo and it was kinda McDojo but the older teachers were hardcore. It seems like it is getting watered down each time a new black belt starts a school.

Bonta-kun

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 2:41am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since someone has already mentioned Muay Thai,I shall introduced Ashihara Karate:

Ashihara karate is an offshoot of kyokushin karate.The founder is Mas Oyama's well-known student Ashihara Hideyuki,whose nickname is "Street Fight 10th dan".Once suspended from kyokushin for getting into a fight and beat up 5 aggressors in order to protect a ramen stall holder from their bullying.

Later he left Kyokushin kaikan and set up Ashihara karate.Real reason why he left is still unknown.Ashihara people says that he left to start his new style of karate(Ashihara karate is modern karate which uses modified boxing stance in kata instead of the usual horse/cat/forward stance etc.) while some kyokushin people said that he was kicked out as a trouble maker who still got into street fights despite the first suspension.

Its main concept is sabaki,a method which you get into your opponent's blind spot,utilizes the opponent's power and momentum and counter-attack him or her~~~
    Last edited by liuzg150181; 8/20/2004 2:53am at .
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 3:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bajiquan

Very old. The earliest record of it is somewhere in the Ming Dynasty. That's over 400 years for you non Chinese history buffs. But the earliest specific practitioner we can point to was Wu Zhong, an Islamic guy in northeastern China who claimed to have learned from a couple of wandering daoists. But the guy we like to keep in out hearts as the real patriarch would be of course, the invinvible Spear God Li Shu Wen.

He was a mean bastard whe never married, killed lots of people in open duels and was poisoned to death in his old age. His favorite people to kill were Japanese Samurais. Li Shu Wen was around when they were still going around calling China the sick man of Asia and he was a bad tempered bastard to begin with.

Nowadays it's mostly spread by students of Li Shuwen's last disciple, Liu Yun Qiao and I think their version of it has been softened somewhat and influenced a lot by the Bagua that Liu learned from Gong Bao Zhai. I think the stuff Li Shuwen taught earlier in his life probably matched his temperment and was pretty free from any ***** internal ruminations.

The Baji sword interestingly enough, has some surprising similarity to Japanese sword work. No plum flower patterns like you usually see in Chinese stuff. Lots of straight cuts and direct stabs.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 3:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Mox_Mox
    I did a bit of Kajukembo and it was kinda McDojo but the older teachers were hardcore. It seems like it is getting watered down each time a new black belt starts a school.
    That is, actually, exactly the problem. Theres no controlling force on who can start a school and who can't. More than that, people are way too polite to simply say "what? no, you suck!" And so there is a huge rash of schools where the students started teaching and simply were not qualified for it. I remember visiting on school in portland and being totally disgusted. They point sparred, nothing else. Never grappled. The work out was non existant. The forms were below average. The blackbelts were a joke. Then I remember visiting another school IN THE SAME CITY and being blown away by the pure skill in sparring, grappling, and anything else.

Kajukenbo is doomed to McDojoism if things keep going the way they are. People are way to polite, and instructors dont teach the way they were taught. Many because of money. My beleif is that if MMA concepts and training methods are acknowledged and used kajukenbo will survive, and even thrive, as a fighting art. Old school kajukenbo concepts (fighting full contact, aliveness, etc) are staples of MMA... and so the only way to go foreward is for them to accept MMA. Many blackbelts from my school agree, and my sifu (who actually doesn't like UFC like events) is a huge pusher of grappling and lock outs as well as striking.

Its funny though if you go down to hawaii and fine some of the original schools, its hardcore to the max. Its almost as if the further you get from Palama, the more and more sparse the good schools get.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Sorry to disturb!

Motorboatin SOB

Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 3:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo, started by Kano as a mehtod to train JJ styles in a way where you could do the moves with full force and actually spar....and to make you a better person and crap... I ignore that ****.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 4:25am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bujinkan budo taijutsu was founded by Hatsumi Masaaki. The cirriculum was, I believe, a collaberative effort between himself and his teacher Takamatsu Toshitsugu, who actually put the material to constant use over a course of 10 years living as a mercenary and martial arts teacher in Korea, China, Mongolia. He was probably one of the last Japanese from a koryu background to fight in a classical battlefield setting. Supposedly also worked as a spy. Not sure when the name Bujinkan first was used by Hatsumi, I believe in the 60's or 70's.

It is compsed of teachings from many older Japanese systems. I won't even mention the "ninjutsu" ryu, but Kukishinden ryu and Shinden Fudo ryu supposedly date back to the 12th or 13th century in some form. Gyokko ryu and its derivative styles supposedly to go back even earlier than that and ultimately to 9th century China or some such thing (but were formalized in the 16th century). Of course many of the older ryu exaggerated their claims for generations and there is no exception here.

Training is very open ended and there is a tremendous amount of stuff to study. It is also highly dependent on oral instruction from the headmaster and his main students to really understand. With the large number of people who have travelled from abroad and brought back their interpretation, in turn setting up whole hiearchies of student teachers... well, it can be a very confusing and difficult path since everyone is working on what they personally want or need to.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast