Sponsored Links Spacer Image

game dog

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your impressions. Just one more thing: how much contact, in your experience, do different branches of aikido have, in your experience - visiting each other's seminars, crosstraining, acknowledging each other's ranking, that kind of thing?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 3:11pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I encounter someone from another org or style about once every month or two. Teaching on a military base does that. It's been four months since I last attended a function done by someone outside of our org. I try to stop by another school just to see what it's like whenever I go out of town and have the time.

I can't say otherwise. I actually tried getting ranked by another org when I was debating switching. The cost was far too great for me to bother with.
    Last edited by Peter H.; 8/20/2004 3:17pm at .
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 4:57pm

Style: aikido / judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Peter H.
    There is no one teaching Aikido today that can claim they aren't a splinter. . . If you aren't refining Aikido, as he refined Aikido, then you are disrespecting his memory, IMO.

Do you recognize a difference between groups that were on good terms with ueshiba & family, and groups that literally split ties in "founding their own branch"?
    Last edited by kod; 8/20/2004 5:05pm at .

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    8/20/2004 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by kod
    Do you recognize a difference between groups that were on good terms with ueshiba & family, and groups that literally "split" ties?
    Yes I do. It doesn't change anything I said. I don't think splitting on good terms/bad terms/being a relative changes anything about a group's relationship to Aikido and Ueshiba.

If it looks Aikido, talks Aikido, it's Aikido. Having Hombu Recognition, as many splinter groups do, or USAF or IAF recognition doesn't make you not a splinter or off shoot, nor does it make your Aikido more Aikido-ish.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Chemist

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being in the ASU, which was an offshoot until it was brought back into the Aikikai umbrella a few years ago, has gotten me a lot of experience with different flavors of aikido. It seems that our org. is an "anything goes" group. One of the famous sayings that I always hear is that "Uke is never wrong". I think many if not all the uchi-deshi of the Founder each had their own personal impression of aikido so they all are in fact doing the Founder's aikido just each likes to focus on certain teachings. It seems to me that my experience in Aikido has always been evolving and innovative, at least I think that's what Saotome Sensei (head of ASU) has been trying to do. I haven't even had a sensei in ASU teach the same exact way as the next, but I think the variety is good so you can learn what works best for you. Is BJJ not unlike this in some ways? Are there not many variations of an armbar?
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

game dog

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > Is BJJ not unlike this in some ways? Are there not many variations of an armbar?
    Oh yes, but BJJ instructors are more likely to say "this is how I like to do it, So-and-so does it this way, try both" than "this is how you do an armbar correctly. Anything else is not good BJJ."
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido instructors come in both varieties. It's just the second type tend to be more vocal at get togethers.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Chemist

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
    [B "this is how I like to do it, So-and-so does it this way, try both" [/B]
    This has been my experience in Aikido so I guess I should consider myself very lucky
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12