Sponsored Links Spacer Image

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I'll keep this simple. It's a basic question, but one I still don't feel I fully understand.

How do you throw your straight punches? This stems from someone telling me my (left) jab and (right) cross were soft while my hooks, etc. were fine. Now, I've never power-punched with my jab or cross...they're more setup techniques for me, but I'm curious now if maybe I'm even throwing them correctly?

My fighting stance is pretty conventional...feet close, toes on angle, but my shoulders are a bit more square. someone suggested this is inhibiting my shoulder on the jab and my rotation on the cross...I've never thought it did, but perhaps they are correct.

Any thoughts? Personal stories are more than welcome!

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you in traditional ma? Karate or?
    Can you break with your strikes?

BB mag had an article showing how the classic twisting punch was actually stronger if the fist struck at an angle (thumb at tilted at @ 45% up) rather than flat (knuckle to first finger joint pointing at the ground).

My punches improved two ways. By doing speed training of several strikes in row and doing punches at the mirror, trying to pull back so fast it was hard to see the fist. And bag work. Nothing tells if a technique is good as well as the feedback i get from a heavy bag. Lefts, rights, left+rights, +elbows, uppercuts, hooks, spinning elbows etc.

Well, to tell a personal story my punches really improved when Dwain, a tough tourney fighter, coached me in sparring drills, and told me that with my reach, a fast left jab should keep him off me. We wore big gloves to reduce the damage and after a few months of drills, it worked. And i have to thank Dwain, i've used it ever since-a totally commited hard fast left jab to the nose or palm heel to the forhead has worked many times.
    He taught me the confidence to "explode" and not hesistate or make halfway moves.

"A lot of people spend a lot of time arguing about what style is better. This is a complete waste of time." Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 2:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a traditional MA, technically speaking. (I train in a dojo, Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate as well as JJJ)...but most of my sparring skills are derived from boxing/MT. (Based on one of instructors who is dominantly MT/MMA)

Let's just say I'm very open-minded, so long as a technique works and doesn't hurt my body long-term. (well, no more than any other art...LOL!)

I just find it odd that nobody has said anything to me until this particular person was working pads with me. *shrug* I have no reason to doubt him, but my bagwork has never seemed "weak" to me, and my combos are fairly fluid. I guess a good bout with someone significantly better than me will teach me my flaws...I'm not great, but I haven't had much exposure outside my dojo recently.

Thanks for the contributions. Anyone else?!

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its your footwork. If you are not advancing toward the guy with your punches then they aren't going to do anything. You are just tapping him from a distance. You are supposed to punch through the target not barely get to it.

If your arm is extended past 40 degrees when you hit him then you are hitting him too late in your swing. There is no push left in your punch. Hit too late or too early and your punch is weak. Hit at the right moment in your swing and you will hit one out of the park. Its a lot like baseball in that way. Hit him right as you get leverage in your swing. Like you are pushing him.

The power behind a cross comes from the step forward with the opposite foot. Also, you have to twist your waist and wheel your shoulders into it. Keep your knees bent. If you are just punching by holding your arms out there and straightening your elbows from a fixed stance .. then I recommend you get a new coach or get a book on boxing or .. quit because you'll never get anywhere as a boxer doing that.

Scoring points isn't enough. Tapping isn't going to win a match. In a fight, tapping jabs are useless. You need power. Your first punch can be set on stun but your second and third better be moving him into position so you can get that good one to the right target. Its pretty hard to get a hook on a guy who is moving back out of range. Advance while you stun and shove into his territory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 8:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Crimson Tiger

It is impossible to teach you technique over the internet, so I wonít even try.

The best place to learn how to punch is at your local boxing club.

By 9chambers

The power behind a cross comes from the step forward with the opposite foot
    9chambers, you don't have a clue.

<marquee>I can kick the typical street fighterís ass</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 11:32pm

Style: can o asswhip!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to add to this if I could. Keep in mind that Jabb and cross are all long range punches. Amoung other things you could be using these in the wrong range. Hook and upper cut an if you train it verticle punch are all what is called short punches. This mistake is comon in Wing Chun I find that many other Wing Chun people start with thier verticle punch in long punching range and they get blasted! this is the same for jab/cross you could be smoothering your own punch if not a form problem. I hope this helps. Just my two pennies. let me know what you come up with I will follow this thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 7:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuk FU- Why do you say that?

FukFu and Crimson Tiger- In boxing you are supposed to step forward with the rear foot (not past your lead foot) and "drop" your hips into the punch being squared off against the opponent when the punch is fully extended. After this, recover to your stance where you are diagonal to him. Drills on focus mitts are great for training this, and distance may also be your problem, Tiger. The best way hone the accuracy aspect of this is to test it in sparring. By doing that, it really comes together. If your school is against sparring with contact, find another school.

A.K.A MEAT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By Mr. Donkeypenis

In boxing you are supposed to step forward with the rear foot (not past your lead foot) and "drop" your hips into the punch being squared off against the opponent when the punch is fully extended.
    Donkeypenis you don't have a clue either.

Crimson Tiger; just go to a boxing club. Then you too will know how itís done, unlike some people on this board.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 9:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crimson Tiger

Ask Nihilanthic, he knows what he is talking about and he does a good job of explaining things (better than me).

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 9:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's rephrase, shall we? Although I appreciate the replies...the "can't teach technique over the internet" line is missing the point. We're not talking about teaching someone from scratch, we're talking about sharing ideas and little tweaks to technique that may or may not help each other. *shrug* There are bad boxing gyms just as there are bad dojos. Although a stint in a boxing gym is slated for 2003 for me, FukFu...all $$$ dependent of course. LOL!

My problem isn't extension I don't think...it's not like I'm fighting with my arms out in front of me. LOL! I learned THAT lesson when I got clocked in the head a few times because I never came back to a REAL guard position. Maybe it is my footwork...I'm definitely going to play a bit with that front foot. As for ranges, I'm pretty aware of my ranges, so those aren't likely the problem.

Nihilanthic, you got anything to add to this? I'm open to suggestions?

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast