Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys didn't mean to post three times.

VAN

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey You Give BJJS, at least they have fudge!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I wasted 22 years studying a lame MA like TKD or Hapkido, Iíd try and justify it too.

What puzzles me, after 4 years of boxing you still stayed with TKD and Hapkido. After a year of TKD I took up boxing, I never went back to TKD.

<marquee>I can kick the typical street fighterís ass</marquee>

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats the difference between a TMA and an MMA? Time. Its always just a matter of time before an MMA becomes traditional. Anything that is revolutionary in nature, and wins, soon becomes the establishment, and hence repressive of revolution lest it be overthrown itself.

Actually, I can think of another difference between TMA and MMA, TMAs try and enforce the originating culture onto the way the art is taught and expressed, whereas MMAs adapt to the culture they are teaching in.

Personally, I train in TMA taught in a modern way. I find it much better that way.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certain TMA has alot to offer to MMA. Look at shuai jao (Chinese wrestling), muay thai, boxing and various wrestling styles. These are all traditional arts and would be helpful for any MMA artist.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i was just puting up an admitedly crappy defense. isn't that what you guys asked for?

I've come for the girl...and your head.- Methayus (the scorpion king.)

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christ, I am so fucking sick of this MMA circlejerking. "OH YEAH MAN BOXING/WRESTLING IS THE TOPS NO NO GOOD SIR YOUR MUAY THAI/BJJ IS NO SLOUCH EITHER WHOOPS I DO SEEM TO HAVE SPOOGED IN YOUR HAIR NOT TO WORRY OLD CHAP, QUITE USED TO IT". Far be it from me to join the TMA senseijerk, but this is just as bad. Riding on (NHB fighter of your choice)'s coattails is no better riding on Sifu's, kiddies. I also find it unfathomably arrogant/zany that you think that the fact that you've watched a bunch of UFC videos somehow gives you a deeper insight into the martial arts than someone who's been training since you were taking your first Kiddie Karate Klass. So you've been in a couple street fights? So have fifth graders. And more than likely, the anonymous Senseis you're making fun of.

What did the UFC "prove"? Two things: Jack and ****. I know people in my class who used karate in street fights. They won, too, but I guess that doesn't count. I know a tiny woman in my class who's thrown around aggressors twice her size. But I guess that doesn't count. My sensei's sensei, a guy who I guess must be pretty damn deluded to stay in such a worthless art for so long, used karate in a no-holds-barred fight and won. But I guess that doesn't count. Ken Shamrock trains or trained (don't know which, but I read it in his autobiography) with a guy who had a black belt in Shotokan. Too bad he didn't know how much precious training time he wasted, eh? If only he watched more UFC tapes...

There is--and I'm fully aware that I'm committing an act of blasphemy here--more to the martial arts than Pay-Per-View. In fact--and I'm really gonna go out on a limb here--rumor has it that they actually once had martial arts BEFORE TELEVISION WAS EVEN INVENTED! Thank God we had the UFC to come and politely explain that the past 2,000 years or so had been one GREAT BIG FAT FUCKING WASTE.

.....wow. So glad to have that off my chest.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2003 11:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you crack me up Boyd

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah Boyd,
    and they were about fighting then too. If you say your stuff works, you should be able to do it. The reason that TMA guys do not like the UFC, is because no TMA fighter could hold his own, so instead of analyzing thier art, they decide that the UFC did not prove anything.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 2:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put up, or shut up.

Wonderful words. Excuses can be made about the UFC until both people are blue in the face, but if the "art" can't stand up in a SAFE setting like the UFC, how in the hell could it work on the street, with no rules?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast