Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After the UFC, Pride and other MMA events have demonstrated the superiority of Boxing, MT, wrestling and BJJ over arts like TKD and Kung fu, why do people on this board still defend these McDojo arts?

Why Peedee, why!

<marquee>I can kick the typical street fighter’s ass</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 5:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    b/c they're idiots who don't have enough balls to train in real arts, so they say MMA events aren't like "street fights", so they train their traditional arts in order to kill MMA guys on the streets......losers

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This IS a mystery to me......

Its not like they even meet you half way and say something like "Well those arts are better for FIGHTING but traditional arts have alot to offer the common person too...."

You never hear anything like that. You always hear how the UFC and Pride are NOTHING compared to THE STREET. You NEVER hear how much MORE like THE STREET their little karate class is compared to the UFC do you?

The stuff in the UFC isnt real, but standing on a carpeted floor in a karate or kung fu uniform and practicing wrist locks.....THATS the real ****!

I think after all this time I can sum up WHY these people are so fucking BLIND to reality:

The weak need places to train too.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 6:41pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They put time and effort into their training and do not want to accept that its bogus. Or their sensei talking about non violence and other mr. Miyagi boolsheet...

They don't want to accept that they have to actually fight to prove anything. Their renowned masters did it way back when, but these days they are so mired in stagnation and tradition they can't move on. Those masters let go and made something for themselves, so why not the people that are alive now do that? Bruce Lee started a trend, but even withing JKD itself it turned into a "style". Its a set of principles, not a "style". MMA is JKD. No matter how you slice it, its true. JKD doesn't need "trapping" (which is a lot like clinching) or "broken rhythm", which is basically mixing up your combos so you don't get repetitive. Its just doing what works, for you.

I also think there is a sort of idealized martial art fighting that exists in their mind. High kicks, spinning around, fancy throws, pretty stances, punching that looks "martial-art-sy" instead of like boxing is what they want to see. Someone with a guard up and their chin tucked, and their shoulders up doesn't give that same pretty look, now does it? A sloppy tackle and GnP doesn't look good. Fighting isn't full of perfect technique, it tends to be chaotic.

They need a dose of reality.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well peedee, and Fukfu the thing is,(yes I do have SOME training in TMA) that it does have a little to offer those of us who cant be uber athleats like the guys you see in ufc and other professional nhb contests.
    It offers a safe healthy way to vent your frustration. or at least thats what i've found. Its a damn good workout. and depending on the school, they are cheap and plentifull and some actually have good techniques. but not many.
    where as MMA gyms tend to be only in new york or Los Angles and are increadably expensive so people like me who live in the mid west cant exactly attend such a school for supirior fighting.
    Hows that for a meet you in the middle defense?
    or should I try again?

I've come for the girl...and your head.- Methayus (the scorpion king.)

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 9:10pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its true some people are naturally gifted in an atheletic aspect.

But for me to see a fatass sensei trying to tell me to work harder just makes me cringe.

How the **** are you going to tell me what to do when you can't even see the knot your tying on your belt.

Saying your no a super athlete is no excuse to not be in shape. I think the average person has the same chance to become a decent fighter in a NHB competition.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing, wrestling and judo can be found every where, even in the mid west. Anyone trained in all three will be well trained as a MMArtist.

<marquee>I can kick the typical street fighter’s ass</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 11:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It never ends!!! Once again if you train in an organized school you are worthless. Fukfu where did you train other than prison?? (you said ex-con, street fighter) Peedee pal, you are hard to figure out!! One day you're for traditional type training and the next day you're not, jump on the bandwagon for the day!! You say that guys in an art like TKD don't admit that boxing, wrestling, etc are worthwhile, well we all know that they are wrong, don't we??? Most worthwhile TKD schools now train in other styles as well because TKD is limited, everyone knows that. The reason so many American TKD instructors put their own name to the art they teach is because TKD is very limited and after they realize that they cross train in other arts and combine all of their experience into something totally different than traditional olympic style TKD taught in Korean schools, thus the new name. Many Koreans take the magic plane ride, red belt in Korea and when they land in the USA they are 5th degree masters opening schools. In Japan each family had a name for their martial art even though so many of the arts were very similar. The problem lies in the fact that non traditional fighters will never admit that training in a school is worthwhile, so no common ground between the two groups.
    Do you guys agree or disagree with this??
    Take a fighter that trains with a group of guys in someone's basement or garage, will he be a top ranked fighter?? Or, take a guy that trains all the time in an organized commercial school, will he be a top fighter?? I don't think either fighter will be at the top of his game!! I think you need some traditional training, cross training, and plenty of hands on to be worthwhile.
    Now a days we all know that no one art has all the answers no matter what anyone claims!!!! To be a well rounded artist you must have standup ability, ground fighting ability, tuff mental attitude, and like Carbon says you must sacrifice to be in the best condition at all times. But keep in mind that a teacher doesn't always have to be in the best Fighting Condition to be a good teacher, remember that you are learning from his experiences and knowledge. So why don't we all agree that cross training is the best to be a well rounded martial artist. Keep in mind as well that only 2% of the population trains in the arts in this country and maybe 10% of that 2% trains to compete in NHB type matches so good commercial schools have their place. What do you guys do for a living??? I'm not trying to belittle anyone but because I own a martial arts school I am very lucky to be doing what I love best, teaching and training in the martial arts, that's why I defend good commercial schools. I'll be the first to agree that there are too many phonies out there and that's what I thought this site was about but it's more about who can piss further and that's a shame. If any of you guys have read my past responses, I have never said that any art is no good or useless. Despite what art it is if you have never trained before and start training in any art you stand a better chance in defending yourself, period..... I just think people should know more about instructors they tare apart on here before they do so. I totally disagree with trashing professional instructors until you definitely know the facts!!!

VAN (alias, Dave Vanderhoff)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It never ends!!! Once again if you train in an organized school you are worthless. Fukfu where did you train other than prison?? (you said ex-con, street fighter) Peedee pal, you are hard to figure out!! One day you're for traditional type training and the next day you're not, jump on the bandwagon for the day!! You say that guys in an art like TKD don't admit that boxing, wrestling, etc are worthwhile, well we all know that they are wrong, don't we??? Most worthwhile TKD schools now train in other styles as well because TKD is limited, everyone knows that. The reason so many American TKD instructors put their own name to the art they teach is because TKD is very limited and after they realize that they cross train in other arts and combine all of their experience into something totally different than traditional olympic style TKD taught in Korean schools, thus the new name. Many Koreans take the magic plane ride, red belt in Korea and when they land in the USA they are 5th degree masters opening schools. In Japan each family had a name for their martial art even though so many of the arts were very similar. The problem lies in the fact that non traditional fighters will never admit that training in a school is worthwhile, so no common ground between the two groups.
    Take a fighter that trains with a group of guys in someone's basement or garage, will he be a top ranked fighter?? Or, take a guy that trains all the time in an organized commercial school, will he be a top fighter?? I don't think either fighter will be at the top of his game!! I think you need some traditional training, cross training, and plenty of hands on to be worthwhile.
    Now a days we all know that no one art has all the answers no matter what anyone claims!!!! To be a well rounded artist you must have standup ability, ground fighting ability, tuff mental attitude, and like Carbon says you must sacrifice to be in the best condition at all times. But keep in mind that a teacher doesn't always have to be in the best Fighting Condition to be a good teacher, remember that you are learning from his experiences and knowledge. So why don't we all agree that cross training is the best to be a well rounded martial artist. Keep in mind as well that only 2% of the population trains in the arts in this country and maybe 10% of that 2% trains to compete in NHB type matches so good commercial schools have their place. What do you guys do for a living??? I'm not trying to belittle anyone but because I own a martial arts school I am very lucky to be doing what I love best, teaching and training in the martial arts, that's why I defend good commercial schools. I'll be the first to agree that there are too many phonies out there and that's what I thought this site was about but it's more about who can piss further and that's a shame. If any of you guys have read my past responses, I have never said that any art is no good or useless. Despite what art it is if you have never trained before and start training in any art you stand a better chance in defending yourself, period..... I just think people should know more about instructors they tare apart on here before they do so. I totally disagree with trashing professional instructors until you definitely know the facts!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast