Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FIST-FIRE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atek3

Where I get the bullshido part from is he's basically accusing the rest of the professional gun instruction world of being garbage...
    That is correct...

Most Firearms Trainers can't shoot and are stuck in the dogma of the last century. They refuse to test, they downplay the importance of competition and insist that MINDSET & TACTICS are much more important than TECHNIQUE.... :rolleyes:

I mean his shooting stances are the opposite of just about every other instructor...
    Correct again...

Most shooting techniques are simply a "stance" and are basically one dimensional. FIST-FIRE is a complete system of shooting and fighting with firearms. And our specialty is handguns, the hardest of all firearms to master.

The foundation of the system is comprised of multiple levels of weapons presentations, each one built upon the other. We also have numerous default shooting positions as well.

We have proven that FIST-FIRE works as good or better than anything the top shooters are using today. We have also tested it in 'Force on Force' sceanrios where tens of thousands of rounds of SIMUNITIONS were used on resisting opponents. Further, FIST-FIRE was designed to blend seamlessly with MMA fighting technqiues. Which is why It's being called "THE Martial Art of Shooting".

Bottom Line: We are a performance based Tactical Shooting school. I have been shooting Combat Matches since the mid 1970's at the World Class Level, and FIST-FIRE is what has evolved out of my 30 years of combat shooting, teaching and custom gun building experience.

:qright7:

Cheers,

D.R. Middlebrooks
    www.TacticalShooting.com
    Last edited by DRM; 1/20/2008 12:06pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 10:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkiley
    Who won all these matches
    Me and some of my Fist-Fire Instructors...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:25pm

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK... so can you summarize (like try to keep it to a few paragraphs) why your system is better than Isosoles/Weaver/Chapman, assuming I don't have tendinitis in my hands? And how it is fundamentally different? HOW is it better? What is your footwork like? Do you teach sighted fire or point shooting? What do you do for failure drills (as in equipment failure, not the PC name for the Mozambique)? etc.

Pretend I'm an important client, and want a preview of what I'm paying for without sitting down and watching video. What happens here that doesn't at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 7:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: SubmissionWrestlepunching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is great stuff. I'm looking forward to more responses.

from what I've researched, it seems like shooting stances change and evolve based on threats faced, body armor worn, and other factors. From just casual research, it looks like as people wear more body armor, that low horse stance becomes safer and more viable again. It seems also that the more "oblique" stances are still highly usable and needed.

nothing here looks like Bullshido to me. looks like pressure testing. looks like Matt Thornton Aliveness theory.

thanks for more responses. looking forward to it.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 8:19pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...I'm not gonna claim to know anything about serious tactical shooting, not this system nor any other. All my real training is with hand held weapons and with no weapons so you can read this post and take it with that in mind.

But, basically there are what I feel to be pretty universal guidelines to martial arts and combat related stuff in general that kind of affects my perception of the functionality of certain training methods and theories about what's going to work "for real", and I *really* liked what I saw in these videos.

if I was in the market for a tactical shooting course (and I hope I will be at some point in the future) then I'd definitely take a closer look at this system and see what it has to offer.

I guess if you wanted to be cynical or maybe realistic then yes the videos he posted are a marketing device...but the dude can definitely shoot and a lot of the stuff he says in the vids and what I've seen on this thread seem to jive pretty well with my perception of these universal guidelines of effective combat training.

Take it as one may...but I dug the vids.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2008 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK... so can you summarize (like try to keep it to a few paragraphs) why your system is better than Isosoles/Weaver/Chapman, assuming I don't have tendinitis in my hands? And how it is fundamentally different? HOW is it better?
    Actually we use Weaver, Chapman, Isosceles, Mod. Iso, etc. as "Default" shooting positions while shooting and turning on the move. But the BASIC foundations of the system are the 3 primary shooting positions: Guard, Partial and Full Extension.

We shoot from Retention of the Guard (we also have High Guard, Low Guard, Side Guard, etc. Photo shows Paul Sharp in the High Guard)...

Then as we make distance we push the gun up and out into Partial Extension of the Reverse Weaver (where we look at or through the sights, depending on the need). This photo shows the Reverse Weaver...

By pushing the gun out more and gently locking the left elbow, we can also opt to Surgically Shoot from what is technically a Reverse Chapman (Left arm straight, right elbow bent). This photo is of Daniel Horner (now serving on the U.S. Army Marksmanship team):

What is your footwork like?
    The best. The unique movement techniques keep the gun flat and have been used in competition and the sandbox quite effectively. Here's a peek at some rearward movement:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22687814971085

Do you teach sighted fire or point shooting?
    Both. As I said in the book, "If you have time use the sights. But TIME is usually a function of DISTANCE. The more DISTANCE you have to the threat, the more TIME you should spend on sights and trigger control."

What do you do for failure drills (as in equipment failure, not the PC name for the Mozambique)? etc.
    Rule of thumb is to shoot them to the ground. Shoot the threat until it's no longer a threat....

Pretend I'm an important client, and want a preview of what I'm paying for without sitting down and watching video...
    That's what the videos are, previews. You'll see about 20 minutes of video taken from the new FIST-FIRE DVD's. There's 3 more hours of shooting and teaching on them, so, the best is yet to come...

What happens here that doesn't at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch?
    As Matt Thornton says, "Aliveness". I used the Straight Blast Gym guys for a sounding board in testing FIST-FIRE. Special thanks to Matt, Paul, Adam and Rory for their help and friendship.

Cheers,

D.R. Middlebrooks
    www.TacticalShooting.com
    Last edited by DRM; 1/20/2008 12:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2008 5:04pm

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm... I can understand the reverse Chapman working if you have bulky body armor on... but as a civilian, I'm unlikely to have that on. Do you still advocate that, knowing that I don't have any on?

I'll try out the reverse Chapman when I'm on the range next, and maybe when I have more money and time I'll check out some dvd's. It certainly looks interesting. It looks like I'm stabilizing and pointing with my weak hand, is that true?

EDIT: when I said "Equipment failure", I meant "!@#$% IT STOVEPIPED" or something along those lines, sorry if I was unclear. Do you guys just do TRB then switch to sidearm?

EDIT 2:Why I'm asking these things is not because I think your stuff will or won't work. It's because you are doing things differently than Gunsite/TR/LFI/Gabe Suarez/Frontsight. I wanted to know why you're doing things differently, justifications, philosophy, who your training's oriented towards, etc. I honestly would like to know. If I'm paying probably over a thousand for training + ammo + lodging + a plane ticket + gunsmithing if my pistol goes under, I'd like to learn something valueable and useful and hopefully won't get me killed if I actually get in a gunfight.
    Last edited by attakmint; 1/20/2008 6:00pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 9:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I double posted this one...:icon_cry:

Cheers,

D.R. Middlebrooks - CEO
    Tactical Shooting Academy
    www.TacticalShooting.com
    Last edited by DRM; 1/22/2008 10:01am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hmm... I can understand the reverse Chapman working if you have bulky body armor on... but as a civilian, I'm unlikely to have that on. Do you still advocate that, knowing that I don't have any on?
    Actually, the "Reverse Weaver" is what we use the most. You can't use the Reverse Chapman with a tactical vest...

In the 2007 Nov.-Dec. issue of American Handgunner on page 40 you'll see USPSA Champion Chris Tilley using a textbook "Reverse Weaver" stance. And in the new 2008 American Handgunner (March-April issue) on page26 they show a close up of his grip. In both pictures you'll see empty casings just 1-3" away from the ejection port...and the gun (Major Power .40) is FLAT...

I'll try out the reverse Chapman when I'm on the range next, and maybe when I have more money and time I'll check out some dvd's. It certainly looks interesting. It looks like I'm stabilizing and pointing with my weak hand, is that true?
    Yes. We delegate to the off hand the brunt of the chore of recoil management...

EDIT: when I said "Equipment failure", I meant "!@#$% IT STOVEPIPED" or something along those lines, sorry if I was unclear. Do you guys just do TRB then switch to sidearm?
    Failure drills are different than malfunction drills...

Tap-Rack-Bang is OK most of the time, but sometimes it makes the jam worse. Depends on the type of jam...

EDIT 2:Why I'm asking these things is not because I think your stuff will or won't work. It's because you are doing things differently than Gunsite/TR/LFI/Gabe Suarez/Frontsight. I wanted to know why you're doing things differently, justifications, philosophy, who your training's oriented towards, etc. I honestly would like to know. If I'm paying probably over a thousand for training + ammo + lodging + a plane ticket + gunsmithing if my pistol goes under, I'd like to learn something valueable and useful and hopefully won't get me killed if I actually get in a gunfight.
    It's all explained in the book and on the DVD's...

FIST-FIRE DVD-1 is entitled: "What we do and why we do it"

FIST-FIRE DVD-2 is entitled: "How we do what we do"

Take care, :new_2guns

D.R. Middlebrooks - CEO
    Tactical Shooting Academy
    www.TacticalShooting.com
    Last edited by DRM; 1/23/2008 7:56pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 7:21pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted in the other thread, but point shooting is really the way to go. I found that out the hard way first day of Combat shooting at my Range. We had one of those timers you see up above where it times when the first shot was taken, and the last, and the subsequesnt times it took to fire each round.

My first 3 round group took over twice as long as my Instructors, and it was due to me relying on sighting then shooting, vs point shooting. Later in the training, we went to shooting with our weak hand, not using sites, and point shooting at multiple targets. I actually shot bettwr with my weak hand than I did with my strong. Being left eye dominant and right hand shooter, you can imagine my surprise.

Hey Kat, maybe we can do D.R.'s course together!

I noticed an American Top Team Gym owner and trainer is part of D.R.'s team, with the Hardcore Gym. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12