Of course not your Taiji right Richard?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 12:29am

Style: Chen Taijiquan, Hunyuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Balloonknot,

Let's just say that a lot of what I have learned falls into "non-functional and overly introspective" category. The rest is only as introspective as it needs to be and would be as functional as most other martial arts these days, which is a lot more functional than it was a few years ago, but it's not as functional as I hope to be before long.

Thanks for the reality check.

Richard Johnson

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 1:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tai chi is the weak osteoporotic grandmother of the internal family

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 2:20am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've read, Yang Lu Chan (actually, it was his son, Yang Ban Hou, that actively instructed) taught the large-frame form to the Qing court. I don't know if he created this version or learned it elsewhere, but the small-frame version remained “family domain” until Yang Lu Chan taught it to [Wu] Quan You.

Incidentally, it was never intended for Wu Style to be separate from Yang Style; it’s simply small-frame Yang Style (although there have been additions and modifications since it was originally taught).

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 3:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting point. Shifu was just grumpling about this over brunch today. He asked who the hell invented all these styles. His grandson I think had asked which 'style' of Baji he taught. He said, "THERE ARE No different styles. Just Baji. The more you split into different styles, the more each style sucks.(at a loss for a better English slang term than 'sucks' at the moment for what he said:)"

He went on, "All this Yang style,Wu style? Chen style...Who invented them? They say Taijiquan was invented by Zhang San Feng? It should be calle ZHANG style! But there IS no Zhang style. It's one of the problems with taijiquan today."

p.s. to Ronin,
    The Yang guys do tend to be more secretive (the Chinese call it 'conservative', but it's not about who's in the family so much as who is a disciple (inner door student).
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 6:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to wonder why anyone bothers with this stuff. All the families say they will onyl teach the "secrets" to insiders, everyone tells you it takes 10 years to become even reasonably proficient, according to everyone else whatever you are doing is not "internal", no 3 people can agree on what internal is anyway and no-one has the "real taiji" except for your own teacher.

Then again some teachers have a knack of making their students feel privileged and special and I guess the carrot is the ever-elusive mighty internal power....

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 10:41am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankly, I'm sick of discussing taiji history (i use to do this on other forums but not here - this is not a taiji-friendly forum). I know it's been said before, but if more people actually spend time practicing rather than discussing mabye the quality of taiji would slowly get better. And of course, a knowledgeable teacher is a prerequisite. The problem is finding a good teacher who can actually apply his taiji. It's not to easy to find these days is it? In my city (Boston) alone there is close to 30 taiji "teachers," I'd say only 1, maybe 2 have any real applicable skill.

Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun; it doesn't even matter anymore. What matters is..... does your teacher know what the fukk he/she is doing? Have they developed any internal? Can they show you?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 1:40pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar (along with his sifu) brings up a pretty good point--something that I actually wanted to inquire about: How is it that the Yang Family form differs so greatly from the Chen Style form, when they should, in theory, be identical?

I've heard speculation that this is because the Chen form was sort of "re-created" when the Mainland government decided to re-establish Chen Jia Gou (The Chen Family Village) for the sake of tourism, but I don't really know whether this has any merit. Can anyone enlighten me?

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    8/15/2004 1:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    weak grandmothers love to gossip

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 8:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar, even today, you can probably count on one hand the people that can apply Taiji in combat, and I mean PURE Taiji.
    Heck, you can count on one hand those that know what REAL fajing is !!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast