Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    8/13/2004 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So when you do ST again, will it be on the same days as the above workout you described?

Posted On:
    8/13/2004 11:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't thought that far ahead...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2004 4:14pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the mention of Carpinelli and Otto, Ronin. Thats the one I had in mind.

I'll add my tidbit about one/multiple set(s) and failure. One set to failure CAN be enough stimulus for an individual to make progress. However, it seems that achieving physical failure rather than "mental" failure is a bit of a skill. The intensity one can develop is really progressive over a training career...at least through beginner and intermediate stages. Some people do not find that they develop sufficient intensity in one set. In those instances, two or (at most) three sets of a given movement or a similar movement (IE pulldowns and pullovers) may be useful. The returns tend to diminish exponentially, and if one can perform 3 sets to perceived failure and not be significantly fatigued...that trainee is not training very hard.

As pertains to PL/OL, keep in mind that these people are not simply training for strength. They are training a specific skillset which demands repeated performance of a movement. For those people, a squat or a clean is the same as a kick or an arm bar to us. Strength improvement is certainly a goal of their training, but ability in their SPORT of choice is equally a part of the training. If you are not an Olympic lifter or powerlifter, it is not logical to mimic their training. I encourage people to start from principles of physiology and physics...then build training principles....THEN build a training program.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567