Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/30/2002 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, someone else on this board knows what door-kicking means! Last time I used it, someone thought I meant board-breaking or something. Vargas, I worked/trained with a guy from 1st Force Recon. He was soft-spoken, but sarcastic; never got angry, but never let anyone come close to telling him what to do. I have a funny story about him that I'll tell after I get back from the BJJ school.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2002 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MAGGY,

I agree the arts are the code of life but they have gone hollywood. The faster the belt the more the bucks.

It's big business and we are losing sight that the arts are about the body and soul not the rank and ego.

Will it ever keal out?

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    12/30/2002 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny you should mention Force Recon, the 4th Marine Recon Battalion (it's a reserve unit in Albuquerque, no ****) has quite a few guys that train submissions and MMA with Jackson's. Tough guys and funny as hell.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2002 10:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And heaven forbid that everyone learned to defend themselves and stopped being a bunch of potential victims. Imagine, a world of citizens who could stop being sheep waiting for some mugger or rapist to ruin their day. The horror! (This is the part where the forum starts singing "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting!. . .")

hahah vargas i do understand why we need self defense, but i was referring to potential citizens who may misuse their skills and bully others around(sadly..i have seen it happen), i didn't explain my ideas clearly enough though, so my fault. To all: i'm just suggesting that we also just do not ever forget what many considered the "traditional" ways of courtesy and respect in Martial Arts. I do believe it is still needed and relevant. I realize eastern philosphies were in the past, but why can't the Martial Arts and possibly Eastern philsophies be used to help us all become better people as well as hone our fighting skills? I see it as a win, win situation. well I posted this comment earlier because i do tend to see a little too much "physical" "effective" comments in this website.. well thank you all for your comments and for your information.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post exactly what I have been trying to stress.

Bring out the windbreakers, I feel a storm coming on!

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 12:59am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Western-style fighters (boxers, wrestlers, MMAers and other non-philosophical types) may not be perfect (far from it, I assure you), but at least they don't go around talking about 'honor', 'tradition' and 'courtesy' and then act like assholes to new students and curious citizens stopping in to check things out (my last experience with traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu, to be precise). The main beef a lot of people have with Eastern martial arts is that a lot of TMAers talk one game but practice another (I believe the phrase would be 'hypocrisy'). Maybe your experiences in the Far East were different than mine but the Koreans and Japanese I met could be real bastards when the mood struck them. Of course, so can Americans, Brits, Canucks, Kiwis, Russians, ect. . . My point is, claiming that Asians, and their martial arts, are on some higher plane that us scummy westerners can only hope to strive towards seems kind of narrow to me (to put it mildly).

If you think we need more civility and civic virtue in modern society, I agree. If you believe that Eastern beliefs and philosophies are wonderful systems worth studying, sounds great, no arguement from me. When you make a post that praises traditional Asian fighting systems while slamming those who don't "train under a real master" (ie the Neanderthals down at the MMA gym), then I have to speak up and disagree. The martial arts can be a lot of things to different people. Don't let parochialism influence how you see other styles or systems. Don't be fooled by the lack of ceremony or traditional trappings that some 'non-eastern' schools demonstrate. They may be every bit as honorable as any traditional dojo, they just don't shout it from the roof-tops.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as the art reamins true, or the students truly learns the complete art, I'm definitely not claiming the arts are not on a higher plane.

I think of it like this: America has boxing and wrestling as their pasttime sports....Korea has Tae Kwon Do, and Thailand Muay Thai..

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rudest M'artists I've ever known were the TM'artists. They were so defensive; they had "issues". They avoided contact with their "lesser" students and would constantly browbeat others, especially easy because of all the intricate nonsense saluting and bowing they had to do EVERY TIME THEY SAW A TEACHER. And if you laid a hand on one during sparring, they'd go all out because they had so much to prove. I've never had anything but good experiences with wrestlers and boxers. The idea that some profound ethos goes along with m'arts is ridiculous. The problem with TM'arts is that they have so much invested in maintaining some myth about the sensei/shifu's near-magical powers that they can't afford to stop acting superior. Western schools don't have that built into their practice. If a TM'artist master gets whacked in the face by a student, he's probably going to lose his whole class. But if it happens to a boxer, and he uses the opportunity to teach, he might gain some students.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry also forgot to add...I was not bashing other non-eastern schools, it's just that from many previous posts i've read, it seems that all most people believe on this website is that the Eastern Martial Arts are all crap. There is just much more to the arts. and there is also a relevance to the ceremonies presented in the arts. I believe as an ancient art they be merely respected, not bashed

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >"People got a lot more polite when they started passing out live rounds."

I know that feeling. Your veiw on life tends to change when you carry 210.

For a real sphinter closing experience try following a foreigner army soldeir throught THEIR mine feild.

I LOVE these misguided threads.

EVERYONE WANTS TO LEARN HOW TO BEAT SOMEONE UP, WHETHER TMA OR MMA (MMA means MODERN MA because the majority of TMA are really MIXED MA so that term doesn't show a real distinction)

SOME DO IT BETTER THAN OTHERS
    I consider myself a TMA with MMA views. And I BASH stupid TMA BS like 'MArist is above a *coug* streetfighter' and I BASH stupid MMA BS like 'TMA can't fight'

STOP THE INSANITY IF YOU ARE LEARNING MA YOU ARE LEARNING TO HURT SOMEONE NO AMOUNT OF BS IS GOING TO CHANGE THAT.
    Show me ONE MA that does not contain methods of bringing harm to another person. If you can then you stupid.

PLAY STUMP THE SENSEI
    Most Karateka are familiar with this phrase:

"There is no first attack in Karate"

Well if two karate masters get into a fight and one throws the first punch does that mean what he is using to fight with is no longer karate?

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast