Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread got me thinking. How could I react to a close range blitz attack without backing away or making precision blocks, just using my karate reportoire.
    Well, how about a stance that much resembles the kickboxing knee defense? weight solidly on one leg, the knee of the blocking leg covering the pelvic area. The upper arm in a lowered jodan uche blocking position so as to cover much of the face and the other fist just below the chin.
    Pretty much a zone blocking situation.
    However, your average kickboxer would probably not know that this position in karate creates opportnity for quick and nasty offense. The upper blocking arm is in a ready position for a hammerfist blow,
    the blocking leg is properly aligned for a forward thrust kick, and the other arm can deliver a reverse punch.
    Now I'm not an experienced fighter by any means, but it sounds pretty good to me.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a good idea to defend against a blitz style attack with your "weight solidly on one leg". It depends on what it is. If they are wild punches starting slightly outside of punching range, a good fast thrust kick can give you distance. If it's a tackle attempt or a shoot, sprawl. In general, the best way to get out of the situation you described is to blitz back, straight forward, attacking your opponent's center.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 7:00pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your stance was not clear to me and on this board it's easy to believe that you were bashing Karate. I am sorry if you were offended by my remarks.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choke,

He's an excellent teacher, however he teaches more than Goju. His style seems to incorporate Yamaguchi and Miyazato "flavours" together...he's a fighter more than anything else. Which honestly makes me VERY comfortable working with him. No yoga, sorry.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choke, I'm sorry if it came off like that. Now to business...Did you see the fan techniques I posted on the "Bagged One" thread?

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2003 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A response to blitz? From Kajukenbo I picked up two techniques. One is continuous downward forarm blocks starting high, or open hand depending on how advanced one is, in a circular movement kinda like dog paddling, and as soon as you can come over with strike to the face. The other is to side step with brush block followed by knee, kidney punch or spinning back fist or elbow.

To block or not to block? Kyokushin and Wado use sticky hand controlling blocks that pull the opponent off balance, hopefully across his own body. Or as soon as block works, strike, like if you block his right with your left inward, follow over his arm with a back fist/hammer to the face.

I have been told many times NEVER try to block without counters, for a fast attacker will get in. Though I also think that there is some validity to the karate idea that one can injure and render an opponent impotent to attack from hard blocks. It's been done to me.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789