Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2004 1:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Im afraid what Ive posted is about the extent of my knowledge of Pekiti Tirsia. Aside from a few friends who Ive had the privelege of knowing due to other circles I run in, Im just an ED whore, so I pass along the info that pops up. The name David Wink has been bandied about before, but that all I can say is that Ive heard the name pop up, cant say anything more to it one way or the other.

Mr. Gordo, I would personally try and see if both instructors had some sort of introductory class to see how their teaching styles are. Different styles fit different people, but then also different teaching styles fit different people as well. I will admit I started out in a school that taught Pekiti Tirsia, many years ago, and it didnt suit me. It was very complicated, and the way it was taught lacked the kind of structure I need. Then again that was the teachers style, he taught what he felt like doing at the moment, and figured if you were there long enough you would eventually see everything. The style I am in now suits me, and the way it is taught suits me, but then for many guys we are boring, doing too much basic stuff. That being said, Pekiti Tirsia is one of the more complex FMAs out there, so while it has produced good fighters, it is not for everyone. Then again, some people have commented that of all the Canete brothers, Momoy had the most esoteric style. Anyways, for me the biggest hallmark of whether or not it is a good art, is the results you see in yourself. While a good art might not make you a super fighter, it should make you a better fighter. That being said, you cant become a fighter if you never fight, so see which one spars. Pekiti Tirsia was known for being very much a promoter of full contact sparring, but then the school I was in never sparred. So I dont know if thats a more modern factor, or school specific.

As for the Sayocs and PKT, at least when Ive come across talk on the Sayoc forums, there seems to be more time under the bridge than before. Tuhon Sayoc acknowledges his past training with Tuhon Gaje, though the stickier part comes to how much of Sayoc is Sayoc vs PKT. Then again, it seems mostly newer students now who like to do the lineage wars stuff, versus the actual higher ups.

The only flare ups Ive seen recently were between Dekiti Tirsia and Pekiti Tirsia, lots of angry words between the two groups. Not to mention challenges thrown out.

Then again this is all very chis-mis. So take it or leave it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 5:45am

Style: Filipino Martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Everyone,

I have seen this thread on a few forums so I thought I would add some information to give people a better understanding on a few points.

1) The heir to Pekiti Tirsia Kali, as taught by GT. Gaje, will most likely be his son. Not any of the people mentioned such as Tim Waid, William McGrath..etc, etc. In fact, in one of the certificates I have from Tuhon Gaje it names his son to take over if he GT Gaje passes on. I am sure that all the other senior Instructors in the PTK organization know and realize this.
    2) The issues between the Sayoc organization and the PTK organization, is mostly because of relative new people in an organization coming out with things they have heard second or third hand. When I routinely spoke with Tuhon Gaje, he never spoke ill of Tuhon Sayoc, and I speak with Tuhon Sayoc all the time and he never speaks ill of Tuhon Gaje. The Sayoc Family have been teaching their family art as well as researching and developing it continuously. Tuhon Sayoc recognizes his training in Pekiti Tirsia, as well as several other arts, all the time. There are no ill feelings from the Sayoc Kali organization towards the Pekiti Tirsia Kali practitioners.
    3) DTK vs PTK, again more politics. But having talked and trained with many people, GT Nene Tortal was a great person to meet and train with. I highly recommend you meet and train with either GT Gaje, or GT Tortal!!

With all the politics constantly spewing out in the FMA world, the best advice I would give you is look at many sources of information, train with as many people/masters that you can, then make your own judgments on what you find best suits you!!

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 11:17am

Style: What The Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve L.

I was wondering why you didn't answer earlier. I imagine you were trying to stay out of the politics. I was merely requesting clarfication on this matter and was glad it was answered. Thanks for your input on this.

mr. gordo

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, Airyu is here? Welcome to Bullshido Guro Steve.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2004 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Everyone,

The reason I hadn't posted was I have been extremely overwhelmed with life!! Training, working, teaching, family time...keeps one busy especially during the summertime!

I have watched these forums grow quite a bit over the last months, they definitely keep people on their toes, and I commend the moderators for setting them up!

Keep up the awesome effort to put out information that shake the MA world!!!

Gumagalang

Guro Steve L.

ps: As things are slowing down, I 'll be posting more on your forums. I look forward to all the fun!

Posted On:
    8/18/2004 7:07am

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious about how the Pekiti-Tirsia International org came about.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2004 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PTI was set up by Grand Tuhon Gaje and Tuhon McGrath to market and oversee the teaching of Pekiti in North America. At the time, for a variety of reasons Tuhon Gaje returned to the Philipines and Tuhon McGrath was place in charge of the organization. It is fair to say that Gaje had bigger plans for PTI that for a variety of reasons didn't come to fruition.

ps... (as I'm all for whoring) Grand Tuhon Gaje will be stateside here in Western NY for a seminar in early October. If you want more info go to the Events forum on check out the link in my sig.
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    8/18/2004 1:56pm

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting, thanks for being so forthcoming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2004 5:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Again everyone,

Hawkeye- Thanks for the welcome!

The PTI organization was set up with GT Gaje and Tuhon McGrath to help establish a formal group to help spread Pekiti Tirsia Kali in a more controlled and uniform manner. Many of the earlier students started leaving around this and slightly before this time to grow their martial arts expertise elsewhere. The formal ties were severed between GT Gaje and Tuhon McGrath sometime ago (search the old Escrima Digest list for more on this) and now G.T Gaje has established another organization, while Tuhon McGrath still has the original PTI organization.

GT Gaje has been touring the US and Europe, as well as his uncle Grand Master Tortal, Tuhon Mcgrath as well, I recommend that if you have the chance train with them all!!

Train Hard, it is the Way!
    Guro Steve L.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 3:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

INFO ABOUT INSTRUCTOR TRAINING...

Hi guys...I am planning to study pekiti tirsia soon...Coming from a different martial art...i know that there is a lot of politics around...so i was wondering if it would be possible to study from both sides...from T Gaje...or Rommel...or T Mc Grath without being decapitated twice....all i want is to learn PT ...and learn it asap...so that i can become an instructor. Does someone know about trainig in the philkippines and in europe?...is it cheaper in the philippines?...how much does training cost with T Gaje or ...his representative Rommel...or...Mc Grath.
    I live in china right now and earn a chinese salary so my budget does have limits. I am trying to find a way to get the best education i can for the money i have...of course i would always welcome someone who would like to exchange knowledge....but who would?!

thanks in advance to all of you for reading this.

Lee my email is wingchun.china@gmail.com
    Last edited by Omar; 10/04/2005 3:24am at . Reason: no email
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast