Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 11:15am

Style: What The Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pekiti-Tirsia research

I've been doing some research and it seems that "Timothy D. Waid" only started studying Pekiti-Tirsia in 88. "Bill McGrath" seems to have trained much earlier in 1975. Tom Bisio and Bill McGrath seems to be the two prodigies of Pekiti-Tirsia. Bisio having left Pekiti-Tirsia to study San Miguel Eskrima and Ba Gua, with Bill McGrath to be left as the most senior of the Pekiti-Tirsia members. What's boggling my mind is how Timothy D. Waid was chosen as "succesor." ???

I imagine McGrath (who IMHO does have the complete system of Pekiti-Tirsia) started studying with other kali teachers, and Gaje did not appreciate this (which seems typical with the elders in the martial arts subculture). I imagine Gaje pretty much screwed McGrath out of his rightful position as succesor because he didn't approve of McGrath cross training with other teachers, and gave succesorship to Timothy Waid.

Can anyone else clarify on this? Does my theory sound about right, or am I off?

mr. gordo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 7:06pm

Style: JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess Waid and McGrath need a MANDATORY fight to the death for succesorship. One because he claims the title, one because it is rightfully his position. They should turn that into a van damme movie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your sig is funny Meows. I live in Suffolk, VA.

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 8:18pm

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tuhon McGrath formed his own org, I don't think he cares LOL. I don't have first hand knowledge though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want information on this check out the back issues of the ED. The break between McGrath and Tuhon Gaje is very very old. And no it was not over cross-training (I have no idea where you heard McGrath trained with other teachers, because as far as I know he hasnt, as he tends to stress his PT background), but political bullshit about running the US branch of PT. PC bullshit such as organization dues, official tournaments, rank structure, etc... Anyways, a good example of someone who cross trained would have been Top Dog, and he still trains with Leo Gaje. Anyhow, I also dont know why you think McGrath was choice number two after Bisio. Tuhon Chris Sayoc would have been above McGrath if he didnt break off and form his own system (and there is more PC BS around that story as well). Who runs an organization and who is the best martial artist dont always fit together. Anyways, like I said this is all really old news, and you can get the full story by checking out the back issues of the Eskrima Digest. But, the story goes, McGrath wasnt pushing the organization as much as Tuhon Gaje wanted, and so there was a break between the two. If you want fireworks, check out the break between Dekiti Tirsia and Pekiti Tirsia, now thats a headache.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 7:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr.Gordo,
    considering your keen interest in lineages you might want to have a look at Chinese MA, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 11:18am

Style: What The Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuya,

Once again, your FMA knowledge is king! Thanks, I'm going to check out the back issues of Eskrima digest. Here is one response another knowldegable Pekiti-Tirsia person gave me:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...116#post271116

I've been researching the San Miguel Eskrima and Pekiti-Tirsia this month because an incredible opportunity has come my way. I have the option of stuyding San Miguel under one of Tom Bisio's top guys.....I also have the option of studying Pekiti-Tirsia with one of McGrath's top guys. I've been going back and forth in my head as to what I want to do and still can't decide. I'm leaning towards Pekiti-Tirsia as of right now. If there's any light that someone can shed as to the strengths and weaknesses of one or the other, please let me know.

SCO,

I used to be a Wing Chun guy, I also studied Ba Gua and Hsing-I. The lineages in those styles are about the same in other systems......the politics in the gung fu subculture are just as insane.

mr. gordo

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuya,

Nice job detailing the break. Matches everything I've been told by various people on the inside.

BTW, do you know anything about a David Wink. He was supposed to be another of the early PKT guys along with Bisio, McGrath, the Sayoc Brothers, and Omar. But I haven't heard much about him.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Kuya
    Tuhon Chris Sayoc would have been above McGrath if he didnt break off and form his own system (and there is more PC BS around that story as well).
    That's one hornet's nest I won't put a stick up. I hear it's a very bad idea to even mention Grand Tuhon Gaje's name around them.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well ladies and gentlemen,
    there ain`t no lineage,
    there is no such thing as lineage,
    there is no lineage,
    there is only...franchise.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast