Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2004 9:58pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Minotauro Interview!

Interview with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira from Kakutogi Tsuushin after his win against Heath Herring at Pride GP 2004 2nd Round.

Translated by Miho

Question: Congratulations about your win against Heath Herring (2nd round). Iím surprised with your spinning choke you used twice in a row!. (last game was vs.Yokoi)

Nogueira: Iím surprised with it too. (laughs) I got him without any thinking of it.

Q: How is this technique is normally called? Do you name it in Portuguese?

N: I donít have any particular name for it. Well, spinning choke is fine. Rogerio, Milton Vieira and I made improvement on the original one. It took us six years to use it in a game.....

Check it out at www.kakuto.com

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2004 10:07pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repost from kakuto.com

nterview with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira from Kakutogi Tsuushin after his win against Heath Herring at Pride GP 2004 2nd Round.

Translated by Miho

Question: Congratulations about your win against Heath Herring (2nd round). Iím surprised with your spinning choke you used twice in a row!. (last game was vs.Yokoi)

Nogueira: Iím surprised with it too. (laughs) I got him without any thinking of it.....

Q: How is this technique is normally called? Do you name it in Portuguese?

N: I donít have any particular name for it. Well, spinning choke is fine. Rogerio, Milton Vieira and I made improvement on the original one. It took us six years to use it in a game.

Q: Six years! Alike the match where you faced Yokoi last time, you submitted Herring shortly after the second round has it started. Do you consider spinning choke a technique for a prolonged struggled game?

N: Probably. Itís a technique which got the opponent with ease when he is getting tired.

Q: Youíve already used spinning choke twice in your last 2 fights. Many fighters are studying on it. What do you think about that?

N: I will just make new techniques (laughs)

Q: Seems like youíve still got more secret weapons.

N: Iíve got some techniques that I used to do, and as for the spinning choke, there is a continuation from that position. I didnít have to use it so far but there are some patterns which lead to other submissions. So even if they defend on my spinning choke, I donít have any problem with it. Please look forward to seeing my continual movement from the posture of spinning choke. Iíve got about five patterns. Oh yes, this is a picture. (with pointing out the picture) this movement is what I do after spinning choke.

Q: I love to see that.

N: Youíll see it soon.

Q: Well I would like you to ask about the guys who are going to the quarterfinals. Letís start with Ogawa you want to fight.

N: I saw his fight but there is quite a big disparity in career between Ogawa and Silva (Giant). I still donít get Ogawaís substantial ability. I think his next opponent will prove it.

Q: You might face him next.

N: Thatís just what I want. If that would happen, I will take my pride in it as a Jiu-jitsu expert.

PHOTO

Q: Next one is...what do you think about Fedor? He won an overwhelming victory over Randleman at second round.

N: He showed himself as a current Pride champion. The first part of the game ended with things looking bad for him, but he finally won from a disadvantage situation. I think heís got a splendid heart.

Q: You lost the game against Fedor before, has it been found any of the key to take him if you would face him?

N: Yeah, first Iíll do some standing and bring the game to the ground. And keep moving. If I keep moving with my rhythm, he can not pound me.

Q: Tell us your impression about Kharitonov.

N: From the matches I've seen him on the tape, I can tell he is a skillful fighter. His standing is good, showed us descent ground work. Heís very fit and got a lot of reach. Heís got a sense to keep good distance with his opponents. He looks likely to develop his talent much further in Vale Tudo.

Q: You highly praise him! Surprised. It seems like Russian fighters especially show fight against Brazilian fightersí rival.

N: I think so. Since Iíve been fighting for RINGS I feel like that in all sorts of ways. I can not lost in the tournament for the sake of my homeland Brazil.

Q: Have you deepened your self confidence more and more through two games that youíve done?

N: My confidence has become double. To tell the truth I wasnít in a perfect condition. I had a slight cold a week ago but I could have won anyway. Iím gonna be all set to go for the next match.

Q: Oh you didnít feel good?

N: I donít know if you have noticed that, but I had a cough during interval after first round. I was struggling with phlegm. But I beat Herring so if I am in a perfect condition, next match is gonna surly be perfect.

Q: You only have less than two months for the next match ahead of you, what are you gonna emphasis on training?

N: I was doing boxing exercise a lot from last January to March. Iíve been doing a balanced training both jiu-jitsu and wrestling. I always set my sights on doing well rounded training Ėlike boxing, jiu-jitsu and wrestling, to be able to switch those three smoothly.

Q: You donít go anywhere for training to have another special sessions?

N: I usually invite some coaches and practice at my place.

Q: For how long do you think you can keep fighting?

N: Thatís a tough question. Ďcause I like to keep fighting as long as I am in good health. Of course there is a possibility to have a serious injury like during the training but if that don't happen, I will really love to keep fighting. I am only 28yrs old and still in a confidence for fighting and Iíve got to learn more techniques. Iím not a perfect fighter yet. My aggressiveness gradually weakens over time but now Iíve got more experience. Now are more stable and be able to get out of the crunch easily in the match.

Q: Creating some techniques is infinite.

N: Yea right (laughs) Iím always learning. Jiu-jitsu has no limit. It is a martial arts which keeps growing. I like to develop standing more and put my skills to use for Vale Tudo.

Q: I hope you will be crowned.

N: Yeah, Iíll go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".