Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 7:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Military muay thai has no rules unlike sport muay thai, and it emphasizes on locks, clinches, etc. a lot more

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 7:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I haven’t any training in the other arts mentioned, but they don’t look that good to me" LMAO! Its great when someone forms a educated opinion. :)
    I have good training and lots of experience, so it is an educated opinion.

Granted it’s an opinion based on watching others perform, but that should only temper my judgement not prevent me from making it.

<marquee>I'm an ex-street fighter and ex-con and I know a thing or two about fighting.</marquee>

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 9:36pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greco-Roman Wrestling has a ton of techniques for the clinch. Watch any of Randy Couture's (Olympic alternate for Greco-Roman) UFC fights and you can see how overpowering he is from the clinch.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Greco-Roman Wrestling there is a throw called a “high double leg”. One of my favourite throws is a variation of this throw.

<marquee>I'm an ex-street fighter and ex-con and I know a thing or two about fighting.</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 5:34am

Style: can o asswhip!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to offer my humble opinion here. I practice Hung Fa Yi Wing chun. Being based in Chan buddism the system says you must first realize what is real. First we have to understand that unlike 90% of wing chun out there we understand that the reality of fighting is long range (long kicks) medium range (short kick long punch) short range (knees elbow short punch standing grabs) close range (clench throwing)ground fighting. So with HFY Wing Chun we understand that you must train all of these ranges or you are not being realistic. We have a system that tells us how to understand each technique and when is the proper time and position to apply techniques. I find that there is no problem for me to train side by side or againgst BJJ,Karate,TKD,judo,Tai Chi, or any art for that matter. I personally think the first you have to find a good quality school no matter what art. Second you have to figure out if you can realate to that particular art. My point being a poor BJJ guy will get beat up by a really good TKD guy no matter what the reason for being poor or good. Then you have to ask yourself if you really want to learn for combative reasons. Your martial art and your teaches method would have to fit your intentions. Martial arts has far more to offer then just fighting. but we have to honest about what is real when we are discussing real fighting. You would not believe some of the arguments I get from alot of different Wing chun systems let alone martial artist. I use the other Wing Chun systems as a example becuase I cannot even discuss anything beyond striking in most cases. If you do not fight when you train your fighting then how real is your training? so with out posting a book I will just say that I don't believe there is a superior system. However some systems are more complete then others. But if you are a great kicker puncher or grappler why fix what is not broken when you can work on what you really need. I choose my system becuase it has a cohesive approach working with complementary body mechanics to address each reality of combat. But as I said before if I suck at it that does not mean my system sucks that just means I do. LOL!! So the best system is "THE DON'T SUCK-DO" system of combat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2003 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post Rakim.

A lot of the new wing chun organizations out there are just watered-down versions that were intended to look fancy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2003 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't quite understand. Would a clinch count as that inbetween phase? You can still strike someone from the clinch. Are you just asking what's the best for takedowns and controling the clinch? I'd say freestyle wrestling. In fact, wrestling is the only thing that would deal exclusively with this phase- there is no submissions in wrestling, and there is no striking. Just closing the distance and getting the takedown.

But if you want to knee or elbow the guy up in this phase, take muay thai.

Edited by - relapse_ on January 03 2003 22:31:52

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 4:03pm

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fukfu is referring to the clinch phase of fighting.

the answer is simple - any MA that works predominantly at this range, under live fullcontact situations.

That is, Judo/Sambo, Greco and even freestyle wrestling.

That basically throws all your aikido, tai chi and hapkido out the window. There is not a chance in hell these guys can hang in the clinch with a greco or judo guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2003 2:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freestyle to a certain extent, but catch-as-can wrestling is the best. The rationale being that catch-as-can is the combat version of freestyle.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/05/2003 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that aikido and taichi are for the moments before the clinch, and are useful for avoiding the clinch. I agree that once you're at that range, you need a different art.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12