Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally speaking, there is the stand-up striking phase of the fight (no grappling yet) and of course there is the fighting on the ground phase of the fight. There is also a transitional phase between the above mentioned phases. My question is; which MA is best at this middle phase of the fight?

<marquee>Ex-street fighter and ex-con, I know a thing or two about fighting.</marquee>

Taking a break

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go with Aikido, Tai Chi and Sumo*. That is of course presuming that you want to stay upright and your attacker on the ground.

*Please insert your countries stand up wrestling/grappling art. No culture has ever not developed one.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 7:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not the art, but you. But what I can think of an art that COMBAT SCHOOLS IN GENERAL or PRIVATE MASTERS WHO TAKE ON DISCIPLES is probably aikido/hapkido, BJJ, military muay thai, and shuai chiao

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know Sam, would you believe I have not found ONE scrap of information on Sumo that didn't involve morbidly obese men in loin cloths awkwardly shoving each other? What's real sumo like?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 11:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sumo is basically shoving... as far as I know. There is probably more to it in the past, but these days its just raw strength, a solid base, and a lot of weight. Then you make them touch the ground...

Some principles from it would be good for shoving techniques for range control and in-fighting I'd think... but a LOT of arts have rules against "shoving" which I find rather annoying...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 12:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend taught me some basic sumo years ago, and there is a lot more skill involved than you think. It takes a lot of footwork, and a lot of hand techniques. Trapping, rolling, there is everything. A lot of the ties and set-ups are also found in wrestling.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is ALOT to sumo than just shoving. Lot of technique and strategy is involved. You think moving that much flesh around the ring is easy?

http://ifaq.wap.org/sumo/sumotech.html

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 4:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you know how hard these guys train... It's like the traditional master-disciple system, where it's private and you train at least 5 hours in a day, and learn 24 hours a day by watching or noticing.

The sumos aren't just fat, big, strong people. They are also faster than you think. Pro sumos punch an average of 7-8 full punches in a second, can do the splits, and if they need to run, they can run for quite a while with their stamina and are explosive running wise, as some are timed at 4.7 on the 40 yd. Not bad for a 400+ pounder, wouldn't you say?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanx for the sumo link Asia

So far we have;

Aikido
    Tai Chi
    Sumo
    Hapkido
    BJJ
    Military muay thai
    Shuai chiao

recommended for the transitional phase between the stand-up striking phase of the fight (no grappling yet) and the fighting on the ground phase of the fight. (We need a name for this phase)

If military muay thai is like regular Muay Thai, then Iíll say that it is good but incomplete for this phase of the fight.

I love BJJ for the ground but I canít recommend it for this phase of the fight. Not on the street anyway, itís fine for sport though.

I havenít any training in the other arts mentioned, but they donít look that good to me.

<marquee>I'm an ex-street fighter and ex-con and I know a thing or two about fighting.</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 7:03pm

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I havenít any training in the other arts mentioned, but they donít look that good to me" LMAO! Its great when someone forms a educated opinion. :)

Yours in Aiki

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
    those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast