Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 10:23pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

shotokan and Tae Kwon Do

From what I've read and been told Tae Kwan Do and Shotokan Karate are almost exactly the sames due to Japan's occupation of Korea. However, I know Funakoshi incorporated a few Judo throws into Shotokan (only a few I have been told out of "respect" for Kano, whatever that means). So does anybody know why there are no throws/grappling in TKD if Shotokan had them? Also does aybody know why is it that Shotokan rarely teaches throws and grappling even though it had some from both Kano and Okinawan katas Funakoshi taught? Also does anybody have any strong opinions about Shojiro Sugiyama?

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, Shotokan and TKD are COMPLETELY Different. Well, no there not, shotokan uses kicks. The principles taught in it and the effectiveness in situations is different.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 11:54pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you please explain in more detail the katas are very similar except for a couple that are uniquely Korean. My main question though is why there is some grappling in Shotokan and not in TKD. Thanks.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a couple of articles on the different kwans that formed TKD, so I won't go into extensive detail. However, here is a quick summary.

Many of the Kwan leaders that formed the base of TKD came from Shotokan schools. Now note, I said many, not all. In the beginning formation fo TKD there were only 8 basic punches and kics there were no spin kicks jumping kicks and anything of that natures. If there was any judo moves that were incorporated into Shotokan, I don't believe they were passed on to the people who started TKD. Now this may be that they were out of the schools prior to the implementation of the judo techniques into Shotokan. Also the founders of TKD did not learn directly under Funakoshi, they learned under his black belts so again, they may not have been taught those methods.

Now why did I say most, not all? The Jidokwan founders first established a school in a Judo school. So the students of the Judo school would also take the karate class. This resulted in some judo techniques being taught in the Jidokwan system. Will you see it now? Very rarely. During the formation of TKD many of the techniques fo the different kwans were lost due to assimulating everything under one system. However, there were some teachers that did keep teaching the techniques within the system.

So, bottom line, TKD, as we know it today, does not have the judo techniques within the system. If you find a school that does have them, most likely it is because the instructor had formal training in Judo (or something to that extent). I hope this helps.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 12:33am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alot of the stuff from TKD comes from the older stuff like Hwrang do. If I'm correct.

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Nightstrike
    alot of the stuff from TKD comes from the older stuff like Hwrang do. If I'm correct.
    You're not, read the history section.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 12:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF you are correct.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 12:59am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: shotokan and Tae Kwon Do

Originally posted by chicagoguy
    From what I've read and been told Tae Kwan Do and Shotokan Karate are almost exactly the sames due to Japan's occupation of Korea. However, I know Funakoshi incorporated a few Judo throws into Shotokan (only a few I have been told out of "respect" for Kano, whatever that means). So does anybody know why there are no throws/grappling in TKD if Shotokan had them? Also does aybody know why is it that Shotokan rarely teaches throws and grappling even though it had some from both Kano and Okinawan katas Funakoshi taught? Also does anybody have any strong opinions about Shojiro Sugiyama?
    Uhm Funakoshi didn't incorporate Judo throws. I hear pple say that alot because the don't know what the **** they are talking about. Next person to tell you that slap them and them the the STFU you will do a world of good.:D The throws in Shotokan come form the native arts in the Ryukyu. Yes there was grappling in Ryukyu arts but not much.

Choi did base alot of TKD off of Shotokan. This he said himself. It is also apparent in the first hyung sets. They were all Shotokan kata but with korean names. As time when on some changes were made to make TKD more Korean.

I've only seen Sugiyama's Shotokan Kata book. Its pretty good for a kata reference. If I remeber correctly it came in 3 langauages. English, Spanish, and Japanese. I used to have the book but lost it years ago.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you are NOT correct.

*oops Brand said it already. But it came from me so it carries more weight!:D
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    8/09/2004 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AHHHHHH!!!!! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING FROM READING THIS!!! MAKE HIM STOP! MAKE HIM STOP!

BTW...You are not correct.

Brand said it
    Asia second the motion
    I am now making it official

If your instructor tells you differently then please proceed to knee him in the groin for me and refer him to this site for future CORRECT information on the origins of TKD.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast