wants jade ring

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just another reason I hate Wal-Mart

Thanks for being such a great contributor to society Wal-Mart.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...art_wages_dc_2

U.S. National - Reuters
    Reuters
    Study: Low Wal-Mart Wages Cost Calif. $86 Million

Tue Aug 3, 4:24 PM ET

Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California paid an estimated $86 million in pubic assistance in 2001 because workers at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. earn such low wages, researchers said on Tuesday.

"Wal-Mart workers' reliance on public assistance due to substandard wages and benefits has become a form of indirect public subsidy to the company," said the report issued by the University of California, Berkeley Labor Center.

"Reliance by Wal-Mart workers on public assistance programs in California comes at a cost to the taxpayers of an estimated $86 million annually; this is comprised of $32 million in health related expenses and $54 million in other assistance."

The report said many of Wal-Mart's 44,000 California employees in 2001 relied on food stamps, Medicare and subsidized housing to make ends meet and also need more public health care than typical retail workers.

Report co-author Ken Jacobs said he obtained data on Wal-Mart wages from a lawsuit that revealed information for 2001. The study said that 54 percent of Wal-Mart workers earned less than $9 an hour in 2001, 21 percent made from $9 to $9.99, and 16 percent from $10 to $10.99.

He said that since salaries had risen slightly less than inflation since then, the costs to California were likely higher today than in 2001.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Sarah Clark criticized the study.

"It's disappointing that UC Berkeley would release a study whose findings are questionable," she said. "Their researchers are going to get faulty conclusions when they are working with faulty assumptions."

For example, she said that two-thirds of Wal-Mart workers were either senior citizens, college students or second income providers likely to have health care coverage.

In June, Wal-Mart said it gave raises to some of its workers and called on employees to counter critics who say the world's biggest retailer mistreats its staff.

Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart, whose roughly 1.3 million U.S. employees make it the largest private-sector employer, has been called the most sued company in America and faces dozens of cases alleging wage-and-hour violations.

Researcher Jacobs said his study was not funded by any union, although part of the Labor Center's mission is to help train union leaders.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gonna have to get Arnold to raise the minimum wage on their asses!
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Dad

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 8:59pm

Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, at least they have jobs. If they could make more somewhere else, I'm sure they would leave.
    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    8/03/2004 9:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right! In fact, I think I had a momentary brain lapse! Those motherfuckers should be out there working second jobs! I did.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Walmart in Quebec just unionized.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 12:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is funny. In my town, having a job at Walmart is having a 'good' job. And those wages listed are actually quite good compared to the 6-7$ per hour most unskilled laborers make here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just think if those people had no jobs at all. how much public assitance would they need than?

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, remember they pay people to say "Hi welcome to walmart."
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 2:17am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont like it ... dont shop at walmart and pay higher prices ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 2:18am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by nasty_totoro
    dont like it ... dont shop at walmart and pay higher prices ...
    Are you going to make it to Vegas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast