Sponsored Links Spacer Image

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    8/11/2004 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People with pen protectors are usually small and weak.

Posted On:
    8/12/2004 7:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Mediocrates
    While Ronin covered things quite well...I do have one point of contention.

This is a bit misleading. Recruiting of muscle fibers is based on relative percentage of maximum output at a given time. Yes, from what I've studied, around the 85% point is when all fibers will be recruited. However, there is no imperative that this must occur on the first repetition.

One must strike a balance between challenging weight and potential inroad (assuming all else is equal...which is a huge assumption). A heavier weight will result in greater initial recruitment, but less inroad at the point of failure. Furthermore, it increases the risk for injury by increasing systemic force loads. At very low TULs (Time Under Load), repetition performance becomes more influenced by skill development. While this may very well improve one's ability to perform a given lift, that skill component is useless otherwise.

Given variance in fiber type distribution, most people fall into the range of 30-90 seconds TUL for a given set. There are some exceptions (high rep squat/deadlift comes to mind). This range allows for sufficient inroad as to fit current models for muscular stimulus.
    You are correct, as it relates to hypertrophy ( adding mass).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2004 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree about the shape of your muscle as a genetic thing. I don't think the shape of your chest muscle is based on all genetics. Genetics do play role, but you can shape your muscle by eating correctly and using supplements. I on one hand have notice my chest to be bigger in the past 4 months. I use to not do any chest, and when I started, I've gained at least 5-7 pounds of muscles from it. I would like it to be bigger and I'm working on it. Great supplement to take are the Amino Acids with B-2 and B-6. Other ways to go is by using creatine. But it's up to the person to figure out how he/she wants to go about it.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/12/2004 12:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by hightower6969
    I disagree about the shape of your muscle as a genetic thing. I don't think the shape of your chest muscle is based on all genetics. Genetics do play role, but you can shape your muscle by eating correctly and using supplements. I on one hand have notice my chest to be bigger in the past 4 months. I use to not do any chest, and when I started, I've gained at least 5-7 pounds of muscles from it. I would like it to be bigger and I'm working on it. Great supplement to take are the Amino Acids with B-2 and B-6. Other ways to go is by using creatine. But it's up to the person to figure out how he/she wants to go about it.
    You give the worst advice weight-lifting advice ever. You should stop doing that.

Shape is different than size. Shape is determined by genetics.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    8/12/2004 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is a joke, right?

Right!?!

Posted On:
    8/12/2004 12:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has become a joke, yes.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    8/14/2004 3:56am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "inner of the upper chest"

That was the best so far.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there different parts of the pectoralis major? I've always just done Bench, DB Bench, Incline and Decline on the Hammer, Pec Deck at 80%+ 3x5 max out twice on the 4th and 5th set. I just thought that using different angles and different exercises worked different parts of the one muscle to get an overall increase in power for different ranges of motion and activities I'd do with the muscles.

Smith Machines are used by girls, and one fag at my Gym who puts a 45 plate on each side and thinks he's strong.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345