Amateur Boxer

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 2:57am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Up-country fights

Hi, Chris:

By up-country, I normally mean anyplace outside of Bangkok. So that would include Chiang Mai (which I love, by the way). But in this case, it was in and around Korat -- I had one fight in Nong Khi, which is in Buriram province, roughly an hour's drive from Korat, and one in Phimai, which is in Korat province.

Where in Chiang Mai do you train? Whenever I'm there, usually for a weekend, I work out at Lanna (Khet Busaba) -- even though it's a muay Thai camp, I can always find somebody who is willing to put on the gloves and box.

I'm actually hoping to arrange to fight in Chiang Mai sometime -- at one point, I said I wanted to fight in each province, until my coach informed me that there are 74 provinces! So I may not make them all, but I'll try.

Keep your gloves up.

Best,

Craig

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 2:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Farang BA, its an honour to be reading your post! I'm a 45 year old University Prof that's been training Muay Thai for the past 4 years and half years, the last 2 years here at Siam # 1 in Toronto.

ChrisJKD, you'll have to drop by Siam #1 in Toronto, the sister facility here in town, when you get back to Canada.

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 3:26am

Style: box

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how come everyone wants to go to a camp in thailand but nobody wants to go to the birthplace of martial arts, shaolin? And if you say they dont fight in ufcs etc. well theyre monks what do you expect, and many of them do great in sans hou and such.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 3:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro
    how come everyone wants to go to a camp in thailand but nobody wants to go to the birthplace of martial arts, shaolin? And if you say they dont fight in ufcs etc. well theyre monks what do you expect, and many of them do great in sans hou and such.
    **** off strangler doing a poor impersonation of somebody who isn't strangler
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Amateur Boxer

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 3:38am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This and that

Dear J416to,

That sounds like a name from Star Wars....

Thank you for your kind words. Can I quote you -- you'd be amazed (!) how few people consider it an honor to have anything at all to do with a lawyer!

Then again, maybe you wouldn't....

Miro, I don't know if you have seen it, but a friend and sometime sparring partner of mine, Antonio Graceffo, has written a book about training at the Shaolin Temple. The book is called "The Monk From Brooklyn: An American At the Shaolin Temple".

Keep punching, guys.

Craig

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 3:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway Craig, your story is very inspirational and you're a credit to your previous profession. Keep up the good work, and it would be cool if maybe you stuck around here. :drunken_s
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your kind words. Can I quote you -- you'd be amazed (!) how few people consider it an honor to have anything at all to do with a lawyer!
    We don't consider it an honour. We keep the ones around here for whipping practices. Occasionally they prove their worth by helping with legal matters but for the most part they're as useless as Vegans! :bom:

Now you crazy bastard I have to take my hat off to you. To go through so much and keep punching is inspirational. It also gives me more ammo to use on my soldiers when they start whining.

Whinny soldier: "SSG I can't go on anymore its too tough."

Me: "TOUGH? YOU WANT TOUGH HOW ABOUT I GIVE YOU COLON CANCER AND SEND YOU TO THAILAND TO BOX. THATS TOUGH YOU'RE JUST A WHINY BITCH! NOW GET THE **** UP AND GET MOVING!"

See the joy you have brought into my life! :new_black

Seriously,

Thanks for posting here and you are truly inspirational.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 11:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro

Because Muay Thai fights, shaolin performs.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 12:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL ASIA
    We don't consider it an honour. We keep the ones around here for whipping practices. Occasionally they prove their worth by helping with legal matters but for the most part they're as useless as Vegans! :bom:
    What?
    :llorar:
    Are you callin' me a hippie?
    You're just upset I beat you in the cooking contest!:la:

Farang Ba!

Thank you for coming and sharing. Jenfucious was trying to make a funny with his tourist dollars comment. If you don't mind I'd like to ask a few questions. What is your training like and how often do you compete? Do you have any experiences in the ring that really stand out as out of the norm?

Thanks!
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 9:40pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MIRO , im glad you mentioned shaolin because it just so happens right before i went to Thailand i was in Deng Feng Henan China 20 mins away from the Shaolin temple for 6 months. i did 6 months of training 8 hours a day almost every day beside sunday. And im going to tell you flat up right now its bullshit. I have never done a traditional martial art beside this time in China. They train long hours but its not effeicent in what they do. NONE of them are good fighters, i went to a school with thousands of Sanda students (who at one time did only shaolin wushu when they were young) and i spared with 3 of them who were 70 kilos the same as me and it was bullshit how light they hit. They were quick , and the managed to use a side kick better than most people ive seen fight. But it didnt do **** to me and these guys were 70 kilos of pure muscle. In fact im very angry i wasted 6 months in China. After one month in Thailand i was noticibly better at my stand up game than 6 months of packing around with Wushu and sanda. I run 15 kilometers a day here, in China they run like 3 kilos to warm up just so they can stretch. Personally im glad(kind of) i stuck it out in China just so i can now say traditional arts arent for me. I was there i gave it my all, i even placed in the first international traditional wushu festival in Henan , ZhengZhou China doing a Pudao weapons form. Anyways my whole point in writing that was to say shaolin is bullshit and its all politicts now and NO chinese people in Deng Feng want to learn old forms they do Wushu they wanna be the next Jet Li and leave China. Plus shaolin temple contains no "shaolin warrior monks" who know how to fight. They were a fake uniform and all have cell phones and bitches the second they leave the temple when the tourists turn there back.

j416to - Im definatly going to check out Siam number one in Toronto at some point. I here from my Kru down here in thailand a few of you guys may be comming up to train with us for a few months , that would be tight for sure.

Sorry if i offended anyone about that shaolin ****, but im just blowing off steam from now understanding i could of been in thailand an extra 6 months lol.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast