Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do the Olympic TKD guys defend against the side kick?

<marquee>Ex-street fighter and ex-con, I know a thing or two about fighting.</marquee>

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 6:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I mean is that if they are turning for a big rear-leg side kick, front stamp the hell out of their thigh... and if they are skipping towards for a front-leg side kick, go to their thigh or knee.

You can also handle it like a front kick and push it sideways with your arm, or with a well-timed roundhouse to push it aside.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 1:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nihilantic I have seen a photo of that Koren TKD master(forget name Il Choi or something) split a bag in half using a side kick. I for a fact my friends TKD teacher did that to someone. He split the guys stomach wide open! I kid you not.
    What do you do when someone does a non-traditional side kick where the leg isnt snap up and chamber from the bottom up like traditional TKD but lefted up high from the side or straight up and then shot out. From personal experience from a friend this is very difficult to block/jamb using a kick. From personal experince its not easy to block a thrusting side kick. It tends to slip by your punch no matter how strong your block is. It just comes right through.
    With the spinning back kick you dont know if its going to be a spinning back kick or a spinning hook kick. Either one is dangerous.
    I dont know if you have ever trained or practice with someone who doesnt used traditional TKD. From my experience its very difficult what type of kicks he is going to throw if he knows how to deceive the kick with feints/skipping/foot shuffle/ and what not. A good kicker isnt going to let you know what is moves are. He is going to disguised it. I have a friend who got into a few fights and the other guys got the crap kicked out of him. My friend would do something like throw a fake front kick so they would block low (as bait) and not letting his foot go back to the ground turns the kick into (lets say for argument sake) into a high side kick to the jaw. And so forth etc.
    I know its a fact its hard to block side kicks. I know others know what I'm talking about. You are using one of thee strongest part of your body and slaming all that force into a trust. In most cases most people wont have the arm strength to block it. Your single arm isnt as strong as your thigh muscle in most cases.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    12/28/2002 1:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the typos. "Korean TKD..."
    "I for a fact have seen my friend TKD teacher split someones stomach open"

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/30/2002 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By a block I mean use your shins and forearms... a double forearm block could block a sidekick, but with shoes on you'd lose skin from your forearms most likely...

I'm not experienced (yet) with MT but I know there are good reasons sidekicks are rare in competition... maybe someone more experienced in it than I could tell you better.

Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2002 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not experienced (yet) with MT but I know there are good reasons sidekicks are rare in competition... maybe someone more experienced in it than I could tell you better.
    I fought as an amateur under the rules of the WKA and leg kicks were allowed. Everyone used the Thai kicks and I donít remember anyone using the side kick. It never occurred to me to ask why. But I will give you my amateurish opinion.

Nihilanthic

Do you know the defence for Teep, the one were you use your opposite side arm to parry the kick? Imagine that defence being used with a counter on a side kick. I think thatís why you donít see side kicks much.

<marquee>Iím an experienced street fighter</marquee>

Edited by - FukFu on December 30 2002 21:36:36

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm... no info on how TKD handles the side kick yet

Front/side/back kicks are really one and the same anyway, in what they do, and how they do it.

Well, regarding back kicks - I think they get used in competition so much because you can't strike their back when it is turned! Try front-kicking someone and digging your heel into their kidney when they spin around to back kick you - see what happens to them.

I also can NOT see how a side kick can "rip" open someone's abdominal wall. Its a blunt imapact! How is it going to cut or rip something like an abdominal wall?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 6:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I'd handle the side kick by trying to dodge it, or kick the hitting leg/kick the opponents leg which has all the weight on(straight on, it takes less time). If you succeed with the latter properly, it'll stop the kick quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2002 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I'd handle the side kick by trying to dodge it, or kick the hitting leg/kick the opponents leg which has all the weight on(straight on, it takes less time). If you succeed with the latter properly, it'll stop the kick quickly.

Not to mention brining him down if hit at the right spot

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2003 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can parry a side kick by low blocking with your forarm against there foot or shin but that **** hurts
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123