Posted On:
    12/26/2002 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is confusing, but to my understanding
    roundhouse type 1 - muay thai full body swing
    roundhouse type 2 - chambered snapping kick
    type 1 is a much more powerful kick than type 2
    type 2 is a much faster kick than type 1 and is usually used in point sparring.

"said and done"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2002 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is confusing, but to my understanding
    roundhouse type 1 - muay thai full body swing
    roundhouse type 2 - chambered snapping kick
    type 1 is a much more powerful kick than type 2
    type 2 is a much faster kick than type 1 and is usually used in point sparring.

"said and done"
    That's how I understand it.

Because kicking requires so much energy, it doesn't make sense to throw kicks that don't do damage.
    By my first kickboxing coach

************************************************** ********************************

Ex-street fighter and ex-con, I know a thing or two about fighting.

Posted On:
    12/26/2002 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do others feel about TKD's side kick? I have seen people split a punching bag in half using a side kick. I know of one circumstance where an instructor in TKD split someones stomach open with a side kick. they guy challenged and attack the instructor and he side kick the guy. The instructor had to call an ambulance and make a ploice report after. It was one of my friends TKD instructor that did it.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/26/2002 9:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seriously doubt a blunt trauma from a human could split a person's abdominal cavity open...

And yes they can be powerful, but there is no "perfect" technique. Bringing up the knee to block a mid side kick seems the most obvious one to me... my shin versus a sliver of your foot - which do you think will win? Now, if shoes are on its gonna be a lot different, of course, so its more important to learn other ways of dealing with it.

The point I'm trying to make is you can learn how to deal with any technique, no matter how powerful it is. There is no perfect technique - powerful ones tend to telegraph, and a long range kick tends to do that too.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, side kicks can split bags open, but bags are built differently than human stomachs.

But yes, a side kick is very dangerous. It can be used effectively with proper footwork and the proper setup, but the danger. A side kick to the knee or hip would disable the person for the remainder of the fight, a kick to the chest or the stomach knocks the wind out of the person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 8:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yes they can be powerful, but there is no "perfect" technique. Bringing up the knee to block a mid side kick seems the most obvious one to me... my shin versus a sliver of your foot - which do you think will win? Now, if shoes are on its gonna be a lot different, of course, so its more important to learn other ways of dealing with it.
    What are some other defences for the side kick?

<marquee>Ex-street fighter and ex-con, I know a thing or two about fighting.</marquee>

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 9:34am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a powerful side kick it's best to try to get completly out of the way either by sidestepping or backing up to the best of your ability. It is not a great kick to try to absorb or block.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 1:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dodging it is your best bet. Unless it's just a short snap kick to your knee, you can dodge it and have enough time for your counter-offensive

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now more than ever i still believe that Punch have the upper hand over kick iam only basising this on Experiance see a friend of mine and i began to box when he relived he could not get me with a good hit or do any damage i let him use his legs he trew hooks, roundHouse, front kicks, side spining side kicks, hell even an axe kick they all failed now i do have to addmit his kick were hard and fast **** my foreArm is bang up (i was only allowed to used my hands to block and Hit) but i saw them coming now ask him if he saw the Jab,Lead hook to cross after is flashy as kicks were blocked

Now before the shits startrs to hit the fan this is my Opinion nad if you dont like it go **** your Self Thanks

Edited by - Aceanalog on December 27 2002 15:18:16

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/27/2002 6:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You tend to let someone know if you are about to do a great big side kick, so the best thing to do is nip it in the bud by checking the kick with a front stamp before its thrown, or getting in their face, or getting out of the way. Barefoot, yeah, you could make them break their foot on your knee/shin, but thats not a nice thing to do, now is it? And if they have shoes on... thats better than letting it impact more vulnerable parts of you. But its still not the best way to handle it.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast