Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did fencing (sabre and foil, and did some epee for fun.) all through high school, because my parents weren't willing to pay for MA classes, and fencing would "get me into college" (they were right, it did.)

started doing tai chi in the year off that i took between high school and college, with a teacher who aside from being a total ass, and having an ego the size of texas, actually spent a lot of time on the applications of the tai chi moves against a resisiting opponent, and had us do our forms both slowly and at full "combat" speed. once in college i took the tai chi class, but it was a waste of time since the instructor was a visiting student from china who didn't give a crap about our training, he was just collecting a paycheck.

when i was a couple years out of college, one of my best friends got shot and killed in a street robbery, and i decided to study a style with more sparring and empasis on self defense. i looked at a bunch of schools and found a great hung ga place. that was 10 years ago and i'm still with the same sifu (with a 3 year break when i lived in california and like a moron didn't train with any of the MANY great teachers out there.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

game dog

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > Also, aikido pwns orcs
    what kind of crappy wristlock is that? Pleeeeeez!

I started aikido because I wanted to get in shape, work on my posture and breathing and stuff, and it looked interesting. Did that for a number of years, then became disillusioned with the detachment from reality. (Also, some discussions with people on rec. martial-arts, including Strong Machine, planted the thought in my mind that there was much better stuff out there.)

There was a judo froup training in the same room as the aikido club, so I crosstrained, then switched. Lots of fun.

One of the judo instructors also taught Ju-Jutsu (German style), so I took that up to work on striking and bringing things together. Not bad, but not very intense either.

When I moved to the US, I finally wanted to try the real stuff (BJJ). I got thoroughly tooled by a white belt in my first class, and stayed there. Very cool.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took TKD in Jr. High. (didn't everybody?) It was a summer school course called "self defense" which turned out to be TKD with a tiny bit of Aikido thrown in. After the summer I went to train at the summer school teacher's teacher's school.

Eventually I moved to Vermont where I found vitually nothing. Ended up doing a little bit of kickboxing. Everything else looked like crap. (my TKD school wasn't WTF or the the other one. It was just some Korean dude, Mu Duk Kwan and Hopkido actually I think.)

Came back to Cali but this time in San Francisco. Did some shitty TKD and swithced to Kuk Sool for 6 months because at least they really worked out there.

Moved to Marin and hooked up with Ed Parkers Kenpo....6 months roughly...still didn't feel right.

Got an intoduction to some backyard classes in Kali. That was awsome. About 6 months later though I moved back into the city and was feeling completely lost. Tried another Hopkido school . . . (I was a slow learner I guess) Actually I loved the IDEA of gong fu but was skeptical of practicality. My original TKD teacher was pretty meat and potatoes. Waist level kicks and basic punches. Spar at the end of every class. Nothing fancy.

Stumbled onto YC Wong's Hung Gar school by accident while sitting at a bus stop across the street from his little sign while bitching to my GF about how I couldn't figure out what to train.

8 years later...and with a little cross training in Judo at SF State...I decided to "get serious" and visit the grandmaster and take a trip through China to polish up my shitty Chinese that I learned at State.

The cheap cost of living enticed me to make it a full year but I was god damned if I was gonna go that long without a teacher.

Tried San Da but decided it was nothing I couldn't get better quality for cheaper in SF. (special prices for foreigners) Eventually, just as I was getting ready to go home I met my current teacher. Within 6-8 months or so I was accepted as a disciple and I realized that regardless of how good YC Wong was I was getting serious one on one instruction, a chance at holding the lineage, way more free time to train than in the states AND in a badass style I'd never heard of called................

BAJI!!!
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 11:01am

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christ, it seems like a lot of people have had their lives changed by bill mahoney.

Years ago I did some judo and karate but I can't remember it....

I wanted to go to a MMA school ever since they did a self-defence seminar at my high school, but I couldn't convince my mom to let me join. As if a sign from the heavens, a tkd school opened nearby and I decided to try a class out of respect.

It sucked from the first class; but I still could not convince my mom to let me join MMA so I went to this TKD school for like 6 months until eventually I wrote my mom a letter (thats so lame, I know) that explained why this school sucked and how I would benefit from an MMA training environment. Finally she caved in and I left TKD class for the last time and may never come back again (plus my membership expired). So now I'm waiting to join the school.
    Last edited by toothpaste100; 7/26/2004 11:07am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short/long version:

Always wanted to study the arts, but never felt comfortable asking about it while growing up. Ended up taking a Kung Fu class offered at my college. Ended up "studying" with that instructor for four years. In that time I also tried Isshen Ryu (hated it), bad Tai Chi, and good Choi Li Fut (while on break from college). Anyway the College Kung Fu thing turned out to be a big bullshidoish cult. But I didn't realize it at the time.

After graduation a friend, who also was a martial artist, invited me down to an open group workout. And I got involved with a group that was essentially doing throwdowns. The de facto leader of the group (the one with the most experience and fighting skills) immediately blew me away with his abilities. And I quickly realized how bad my habits and skills were. And I convinced Mark, the leader, to start to teach me. That begin my relationship with my current Sifu (about eight years ago).

He trained me in the family/village system he had learned. At the same time he encouraged me to get out and learn from other instructors. So I began to study Inasanto Blend Kali. Then I met a Pekiti Tirsia instructor who blew the Inasanto people out of the water. So studied with him for about a year and a half (which gave me my practical weapons doctrine and strategies). Mark also got me to take Wing Chun and Brazilian Ju Jitsu classes (each for about a year).

When we eventually took the school above ground we partnered with a local shootfighting instructor. So I spend about two years learning the basics of shoot (and improving my ground game). Eventually we added an internal arts man to the school and I've gotten exposed to Xing Yi, Ba Gua and Essence of Evolution (Su Dong Chen's synthisis of those arts). Our shoot instructor also became a certified PRD teacher and through him I picked up a lot of ideas from Tony Blauer's systems.

Plus, we've always maintained the "throwdown" idea and get out to work with other folks to pick up new ideas and test existing ones.

So as far as an intentional path, there really wasn't one (excepting the pattern of studying from a less than desirable instructor in order to eventually come in contact and recognize a great instructor). As far as where I'm going from here, I'm continually interested in researching practical systems and working to understand where and how certian systems "jumped the shark." I've also been becoming more and more interested in the Internal Arts. But before I take another teacher for them I want them to be able to show that their students are able to fight with the arts.
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 7/26/2004 11:27am at .
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Karate Instructor

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main MA experiences:

Isshin Ryu - I like the system a lot. It sprang from Goju Ryu and Shorin Ryu, and after a little experience in both of those systems, I like Isshin Ryu better. I really like how Isshin Ryu stances are much more natural than the way out deeply planted stances in other systems. I also like how the snap punch is not extended 100% which reduces wear on joints. The vertical fist with the thumb on top just feels natural after so many years of practice, I couldn't make a fist any other way now LoL!!!

Judo: Well we all know Karates weakness is on the ground, so I also am beginning studies in Judo. The dojo where I teach Isshin Ryu has Judo, I can take it for free, so why not? Also the Judo instructor offers a smattering of Aikido as well. So I think these arts marry well with my Isshin Ryu studies.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started TKD between 6th and 7th grade. Our teacher was a brown-black in kuksool, too. So we learned ITF TKD and all the white thru black kuksool jointlocks. Got my 1st in TKD, then learned all kuksool forms--went from white belt to brown-black in 6 months in kuksool. Took my first kuksool black belt test in June 1993--passed but didn't promote (which is the norm in kuksool--you retake the test a year later). Got my 2nd Dan in TKD June 1994 (from a McDojo--the test was "do all the forms and pay me $50"). Did this b/c I always wanted my 2nd dan. Got my st Dan in kuksool first part of July 1994. My kuksool//TKD instructor quit. So a fellow student (we were equal in TKD rank but I was higher in kuksool--he was in his 30's,too and had $$$) and I took over the kuksool club. I then trained actively in kuksool until 1999.

I got tired of kuksool, their politics, and the undeserved worship the Grandmaster got. I also got tired of my partner and his low moral character. It just seemed like my road had ended.....

My cousin, a PFS student found out that I had "quit". At our grandparents' house he told me that it would be a complete waste to throw away 9 years of training and that I was being a wuss. He said that I was unhappy because I was not working out with people better than me and not improving and thus bored. He invited me to attend a PFS training session. I was hooked after the first class and have been training in PFS/JKDC/BJJ with the same crowd since September 1999. It has given me a good stand up game and kali game.

I'm the last of the group to hit the "learning curve" in BJJ. Everybody else is much better than I am and it is after talking with you guys here at bullshido that I realize that I need to really dig into BJJ and groundgame and improve myself. So, that's about it.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. It’s the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Omar Stumbled onto YC Wong's Hung Gar school by accident while sitting at a bus stop across the street from his little sign while bitching to my GF about how I couldn't figure out what to train.
    i'm still kicking myself for not going to YC Wong's when i was living in san francisico (my sifu told me to train with him.)

i was just too lazy to make the trip from the mission to chinatown (i blamed the crappy public transportation in san fran, but the blame rests on my shoulders.)

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    started liking MA from the Green Lantern and Kung FU TV shows... to lazy to do anything about it. In the late 70's/early 80's I had a chance to study with Danny Lane in Huntington, WV. He's learned from Chuck Norris and is the guy who gets kicked in the balls by the monkey (see DL section). Punked out and didn't do anything about it.

Fast forward to late 1998... my 7 yo son wanted to take Karate, probably because of the Power Rangers. He started classes and I got to set in the back with all of the other out-of-shape, overweight parents watching their kids workout. After a month of this and constant baggering from my son I started training in TKD with him. I made it to high-blue belt (3th Gup) before work stress and ton of BS at the dojang stopped us going in Spring 2001.... Last summer my daughter, who had started after us and made it to high-yellow, decided she wanted to go back. We've been training ever since. We started out as white belts and were able to re-test for ranks after about 6 months. I figure I'll be testing for my 1st Dan next spring.

After spending about 20 years being compulsively attentive to computers, networking and technology I am getting burned out. It is becoming a just a job now, not a lifestyle. I am finding that MA stuff is taking over the avocation part of my life. This is a good thing.

Edit: just thought of something else... the first MA related thing I ever bought had to be in the late 60's from the back of a comic book. It was a little pamphlet on "death touches" complete with a chart of locations. I also remember checking out Bruce Tegner's books from the library as a kid.

Good Times, Good Times
    Last edited by tkdan28; 7/26/2004 3:09pm at .
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 3:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man, you gotta hate it whe parents do that... was she doing the whole "it's too dangerous" shite? My mother did that for a while before my instructor talked to her and convinced her it was totally safe... unfortunately she's still being a bitch about going to the other classes at my school - not because seh thinks they're any more violent, it's because she's too fucking lazy to do the 15 minute drive to the school and then come back and pick me up a few hours later. In fact, because she couldn't be bothered waiting an extra 20 minutes (during which she could basically do anything she wanted, as the school's in a big city), i'm not able to take another class after my WT.

I love her and all, cuz she's my mum, but sometimes she really pisses me off.

Originally posted by toothpaste100
    Christ, it seems like a lot of people have had their lives changed by bill mahoney.

Years ago I did some judo and karate but I can't remember it....

I wanted to go to a MMA school ever since they did a self-defence seminar at my high school, but I couldn't convince my mom to let me join. As if a sign from the heavens, a tkd school opened nearby and I decided to try a class out of respect.

It sucked from the first class; but I still could not convince my mom to let me join MMA so I went to this TKD school for like 6 months until eventually I wrote my mom a letter (thats so lame, I know) that explained why this school sucked and how I would benefit from an MMA training environment. Finally she caved in and I left TKD class for the last time and may never come back again (plus my membership expired). So now I'm waiting to join the school.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast