Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 3:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

running

i hate running, always have. but i have recently decided that i need to include it in my workouts. so i have a couple of questions for the runners out there

what is the best way to increase the distance you can run? i currently run til gassed, brisk walk for a bit then run till i gas out again, working on getting each distance longer. is this the best way to increase my distance or should i just go at a slower pace for a longer distance and try to slowly increase speed? is there somethign else i should do?

i know that running can be bad for the knees. i have proper running shoes, what else should i do to make sure i don't mess myself up?

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 3:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best way to increase distance, run at a conversational pace. increase the miles, and do not stop running/jogging. Running is at least 50% mental. Increase your distances about 3 miles a week till you get to a point where you've had enough running

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 4:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by brandeissansoo
    Best way to increase distance, run at a conversational pace. increase the miles, and do not stop running/jogging. Running is at least 50% mental. Increase your distances about 3 miles a week till you get to a point where you've had enough running
    This is so true for me. Especially the 50% mental part. I know that for me running is also what I refer to as "mental stamina". It's about getting a pace and feeling like you can hold it until the end of time.

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 4:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    run with a partner and try to zone out

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your knees, make a conscious effort to run w/ proper technique. Don't let your feet slap the ground; try to move heel-to-toe smoothly. When I first started, I was running a mile a day, and after a few weeks, my knees started to hurt. Rather than stopping, I changed my routine to 3 miles 4 days a week, and the joint pain went away. Just give 'em time to recover.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Professional Lurker

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: None at the moment.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have Richard Simmons chase you. That'll get you moving!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/23/2004 2:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember,

always run on grass. NOT concrete or hard surfaces such as footpaths an roads. Because you will do damage to your knees and joints. Where as grass absorbs alot of the impact and is kinder on the knees. If you live in a city just go to a park of football field and run laps there.

Also for fighting fitness doing sprints is best. Going on these long winded runs is o.k but doing interval sprints really pushes you. For intstance, What I do is go to the local football field. I jog the length of the field, sprint out hard on the width, jog the length, sprint out hard on the width. After doing 5 sets of sprints you buggered. Now that really boosts your fitness.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    7/23/2004 2:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    running on the street is better for your knees than running on the sidewalk.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/23/2004 2:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want shin splints...
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2004 7:27am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a few hints:
    once you have a decent amount of endurance, mix it up. Try fartlek (speed play), hill sprints, intervals etc. This stuff is more useful for martial arts. Try the following running program:
    http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml
    I like to run tabata intervals- 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. You don't have to sprint all out in the intervals to begin with. Jogging and running works too- if, that is, jogging is comning at the 'hard' end of your rate of perceived exhaustion.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast